14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2013 7:58 PM by eb5147 RSS

Fairview Park Marriott - Poorly Managed

pleshy Member
Currently Being Moderated

I just completed a stay at the Fairview Park Marriott in Falls Church, VA.  The hotel itself is nice; however, the management is not of the quality of the hotel. We had a military brats' reunion, we have these every few years around the Nation. Every other hotel we have used has been accommodating and has asked us to come back. This hotel was a big FAIL:  Things that are common in the lowest level hotel was for a fee at this hotel. Also, food service was bad and the staff had a bad attitude.

Most hotels have free Internet, this hotel charged unreasonable prices for it. I understand it they charged somebody just sitting in the lobby, but if I have a room, the Internet should be free.

One night of our event was a meal in the banquet hall. The servers were awful. All the tables were full; they know how many chairs were at each table. When they put bread on the tables there were not enough rolls for everybody. Water glasses were not refilled, somebody requested anything, they would say, "ok", but never deliver. The servers did not always walk around and serve each person; they stood at one side and passed items down. (I don't want everybody touching my plate.) After the meal, rather than cleaning off the tables of the plates and utensils they only cleared the salt and pepper shakers. You would think those things were made of gold. I requested Ice for my glass, but the young lady had to complete the removal of the salt and pepper shakers before she could bring it to me.

The food service/banquet manager was just rude. He walked around the banquets hall glaring at everybody like we were going to steal something. Then at the pool, one manager would allow music at the pool, and then the next would kick people out to of the pool area for the music.

I am glad that I know Marriott to be a better hotel chain than the Fairview Park Marriott portrayed.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Fall Church, Virginia, USA
  • Re: Fairview Park Marriott - Poorly Managed
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Pleshy,

Welcome to Insiders.  I went to the hotel website, and I agree with you; it looks really nice, and what great prices.  As far as the service you received, I would agree that there definitely seems to be a management/training issue and that you did not receive a level of service in the dining room that is up to the Marriott standard.  We're glad to hear your report here, but I hope you expressed your dissatisfaction to the hotel management as well.

As far as the free internet is concerned, I found this webpage that may be of interest.  https://www.marriott.com/fairfield-inn/travel.mi#/s-offer/  If it's true that FFI's offer free internet and you were charged, I would contact the hotel or Marriott Rewards customer service, and have that charge removed from your bill.  At least ask Marriott to confirm what the FFI main webpage means regarding free wifi (seems pretty straight forward to me, but just in case...)  If you didn't use the internet because of the fee involved, which thereby inconvenienced you, you might want to contact the hotel and let them know that too; how you were inconvenienced, and that they are supposed to provide free internet and they need to train their staff better.  Maybe they'll throw you some extra reward points for the inconvenience.  You never know...

Thanks for posting.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Pluto;

The Fairview Park Marriott is a full service Marriott, not a Fairfield Inn. The names are close.... I've stayed many times, a nice hotel, indeed. Like all or most full service properties, The Fairview Park still charges for internet unless you're Gold or Platinum. I don't like the policy, but Marriott Corp has heard this before and they continue to charge..so..

I think, in the future, if Pleshy's group decides to use a full service Marriott property, they want to negotiate free internet with the hotel's sales manager. This can done, it's rarely a deal breaker for the hotel.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Great point, pained! Free internet should be a no-brainer condition to satisfy a group rate.

Whoops.  Glad you caught that, Pained.  Thanks.  I can't believe how low the prices are at this property ($79).  That probably threw me off too.  That's a great idea, negotiating the amenity.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

For 79 a night at a full service Marriott that gives Platinum members comp breakfast buffett on weekends and had a decent concierge lounge weekdays, how much negotiating should they do??  Sounds like a pretty good deal already! 

For an individual rate, I was actually thinking the same thing in this scenario, Husker, but didn't want to offend the sensibility of those who passionately feel that internet should be free, etc. Each to his/her own view, but yes, $100/night out the door including internet and taxes at a property as nice as this one?  Not bad IMHO.  Still as far as negotiating amenities for group stays/events, yes why not, except perhaps for cases where you're already getting a good deal to begin with.

I'm satisfied with the internet situation the way it is.  I don't feel entitled to that or anything else.  I just want the hotel to honor the benefits they, or their HQ, have agreed to provide.  And for the most part, I'm pretty satisfied that the places I stay are doing that.

pleshy Member 2 Reviews

There are several people writing to Marriott about our experience with this hotel.  It is a Marriott hotel.  The hotel would not negotiate free internet into the group rate.  The person who organizes these also organizes gatherings for several other military and retired military groups.  She remarked that she has never had as hard of a time with a hotel as she did with this one.  Live and learn...as PainedPlatinum stated the hotel itself was nice.  On a plus side, the front counter and bell staff were very nice.

I've stayed at the Fairview Park Marriott hundreds of nights, but never as part of a large group.  I have always been treated great by every staff member I've encountered.  This particular does a lot of large groups and must be doing something right...if they treated all groups the way you describe, word would get around.

Pleshy:

I agree with pluto that you should complain directly to the management regarding the service you received. In addition, you should report this experience to customer service. For Marriott to fall down on a group event such as this, there is something wrong and Marriott should know about it.

Unfortunately, there are a limited number of actual Marriott hotels that offer free internet. Marriott has yet to catch up with the 'free internet' as provided by many chains today.

Pleshy:

If this property is a Fairfield Inn then you should have received free internet. My understanding from the post was that this is a full service Marriott hotel you were staying at.

I suggest you send your grievance to customer.care@marriott.com and will in-turn, forward your complaint to the hotel GM.  You'll get a reply. 

pleshy Member 2 Reviews

nuhusker - thanks for the email address.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Just posting an Elite offer:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

For a limited time, receive a big bonus at the Fairview Park Marriott.

From June 18 - August 31, 2013, stay Thursday - Sunday nights (Friday or Saturday required) and earn 5,000 Marriott Rewards bonus points per stay.

Limited time offer.  Book today!

Room reservation is based on availability.  Please see below for more terms and conditions.

For Reservations:
        Click on "Check Availability" to make an online reservation, or call 1-800-834-6704 from within the US, or one of our toll-free worldwide reservation numbers outside the US and quote the Promotional Code for this offer.

• Valid through:   August 31, 2013
        • Promotional Code:   MR5    What's this?

Virginia

Falls Church

Fairview Park Marriott

Terms & Conditions:

Guest must book reservation using promotional code listed above in order to receive bonus points. Back to back stays are considered one (1) stay. Offer applies to one regular room per stay, per member, based on double occupancy on dates listed.  A "hotel stay" or "stay" means all consecutive nights spent with Marriott by a registered Marriott Rewards member.  Offer not available during special events; tax is additional; special offers cannot be combined; blackout dates may exist; advance reservations are required.  Offer does not apply to groups of 10 or more rooms.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...