21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2015 9:56 AM by kagesan RSS

Seattle Renaissance - very happy

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

First time in the Seattle Renaissance, and I'm very happy with it.

• AWESOME ROOM - they upgraded me to a very comfortable, large, corner room/suite on the 27th floor (of this 28-floor property) - commanding, stunning views of the water, the city, the space needle, and the mountains - in addition to an excellent work surface and a decent couch, there's a killer wall-length window seat in the bedroom....
    • Just a reminder for insiders: it never hurts to ask for a Platinum (or any type of) upgrade - the worst thing the folks at the desk will do is say "no"....
    • I'm basically next door to the Presidential suite - that must be a doozy if it's better than this!
  • Awesome Renaissance robes in the closet....
  • Central location - I did a fair amount of walking this afternoon and evening....
  • Underground parking is a little dicey and expensive (but less expensive than some other places)...
  • Wall Street Journal at my door in the morning, complimentary water bottles in the fridge (no mini-bar - THANK YOU, THANK YOU), and tasty local chocolates each night....
  • Nice rooftop lounge....
  • No concierge lounge services on the weekend (which is a bummer, but not unexpected), but turn-down service included water bottles and local chocolates, and they gave me discount coupons for the (reasonably priced) breakfast restaurant....

That's my perspective.... For a less positive experience, however, check this out: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/11950#11950

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Seattle, Washington, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Seattle Hotel
  • Re: Seattle Renaissance - very happy
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

ssindc:

Thanks for the report! Glad to hear they are treating you right.

Have you stayed at the Marriott Waterfront hotel in your travels to Seattle? If, so how do the two compare and which do you like better? I've never been to Seattle but I am going the beginning of Sept and am booked at the Marriott Waterfront right now but would like to get some perspective as to the thought about both properties.

Thanks and Happy Travels!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I can't give a comparison but I stayed at the waterfront Marriott and really liked it.  I was given a very nice room and the location was good.  A free bus out front, picked up and took one to local attractions.  The big negative was the CL.  It was crowded and noisy.  They sold it to cruise ship people who came in with kids who took all the food.  They were party people who put the game on with the sound turned up and were loudly enjoying the game.  It was not a relaxing place.  I liked Seattle and might try the Ren next time.

californian:

Thanks! I guess I better check and see if there is a big 'cruise' presence there when I am going. I went through that 'kids pawing the food' stuff at the San Fran Marquis and don't want that deal again!

Sorry, can't compare, since I haven't tried that Marriott... Over the years, however, I've increasingly found myself choosing Renaissance over Marriott (unless there's a JW Marriott) based on a combination of:

• pricing (the Renaissance is often cheaper, which makes NO SENSE to me)
      • service - including upgrades - we've done much better with upgrades (to nicer rooms, suites, etc.) with Renaissance
      • little things - like Robes

It's not scientific, but I've noticed the trend becoming a habit...

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Ssindc,

Thanks for the post.  Glad they are treating you well (regarding the upgrade - or perhaps just good luck - the right conditions? it seems hard to know from all I've read, but who cares so long as the outcome is as great as yours!)  As far as the other post that you've referenced, despite the date, it appears to have been made in 2010.  A lot can change in two years, and the only complaint from that member was regarding their room location, which doesn't make the hotel a bad one.

I too would be interested to hear about a comparison between the Ren and the Marriott Waterfront from you or anyone else, as I love doing Seattle/Victoria visits.  Thanks to reading the other thread you referenced, I now know that there is a Marriott in Victoria.

erc Platinum

Like you say Pluto, an unfortunate room location does not necessarily make for a bad hotel, but it often can make for a less than satisfying 'experience' for the Platinum level traveller (especially those who earned it the old fashion/outdated way - stays). A special room experience seems to set off a virtuous circle of good feelings. I'm happy as a lark, the associates pick up the vibe and are as nice as can be, and it all feeds off of itself and we're just like Rodney King's wish of all getting along. I have had the good fortune of coming off of three superb (like ssindc post) 'experiences' based on being placed in rooms with terrific views (actually the room themselves were less than 350 sq. ft). I do seem to be having far more 'luck' with Renaissance properties than Marriotts. I also have observed a very aggressive, very successful, very understandable push by Marriott Inc. to leverage their CL amenities by selling to cruises, weddings, conferences etc. I certainly can't blame them, but it does point out why I, who work several hours each day in the actual room, try to book in the slow period and like tef writes, try to find out what's up/when (and then adjust travel plans accordingly). That's about the only benefit of my aging, slow down to smell the roses travel campaign! A natural economic friction often exists between Marriott justifiably trying to maximize revenues and us former road warriors trying to squeeze out a wonderful experience like ssindc writes about - thus the value of this forum highlighting the tips and properties that seem to increase our odds. Thanks to all that participate. Go Nats (us DC folks haven't had much to cheer about in sports in decades, with a quick nod to the Caps, so I thought I'd strike now while the iron is hot).

PS - just returned from one of my local favorites the Residence Inn in Bethesda, Md. - still a value at the increased Cat. 4 (although I get nervous mentioning it and increasing redemption demand and driving it up to a Cat. 5 pushing it out of the free certificate range - so let's keep this to ourselves - ha).

Once in San Antonio, Riverwalk, they had a dental convention in house and they had CL use.  It was soooo crowded and they could not keep the food full.  The CL employee arranged for me to get breakfast coupons for a few of the days since I was Platinum and they employee felt that people like me were getting shorted.  The desert in the evening was the best ever.

Yup - it's a GREAT YEAR to be a Nats fan - my younger son is in heaven.

And we're (hard core) Caps fans too - we've enjoyed a good run in that department (for a few years now) - they practice at the roof rink (Kettler) atop the Ballston Mall - practices are free and fun to watch - I'd recommend it.

If you're a hockey fan, I strongly recommend a trip to Hershey to see the Caps minor-league team, the Bears.  (For the price of two good Caps tickets, you can stay in one of the nearly Marriott properties, buy two tickets, eat a full meal at the game, and buy souvenirs)... We love it!!!

erc,

Totally agree about room location.  It can easily make or break a stay.  Kind of table seating in a restaurant (In Florence last month, we had to change tables twice.  And at the third table - where we ended up dining - the street light shone in my eyes the whole evening.)  Location can be everything.  Likewise, an upgrade to a nice room goes a long way in priming the stay towards a pleasant and memorable experience.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

ssindc,

Glad you're enjoying it so much.  I'm in Olympia now, but I used to work about 2 blocks away, at one of the Washington Mutual buildings about 6 years ago.  There are so many fun places to eat.  Pike Place has a lot of great little restaurants, and there are some really nice ones on the water.  Our favorite place is right down on the sound, and it's the Original Ivar's stand (not the bigger restaurant they have right next door, although that's good too), where you order at the window and go eat outside.  The food is still pretty cheap and so good.  They are a part of history, and made their reputation for great seafood (get the clam chowder for sure) at a good price, and have been there forever.  They sell the clam chowder on the ferries, if you decide to take a ferry ride.  They just opened the new huge Ferris Wheel on the water last week, and I read that it's pretty pricey, but it's huge and takes several minutes to go around even once.  The space needle is also pricey to ride in, but a landmark you don't want to miss.  The last time we went up and had an expensive dinner, but the don't charge you for the ride up and down the needle if you have dinner reservations, so that reduces the cost of the dinner.  If you go up for dinner, I'd recommend getting a later reservation (like 8:30) and then taking a slow dinner while the dining room makes a full rotation, and then you can see the whole city and see the sun go down with all the lights of the city coming on.  The dining room rotates once every hour, and people write on coasters and napkins and put them up on the window part that doesn't move, and sometimes others will write on them and leave them there to see when you come around again.  I'd come meet you, but we're about an hour and half away and have a busy weekend, which also consists of going to pick up my daughter from camp tomorrow.  Enjoy your stay in Seattle!

I ate at Ivar's while I was there.  Same thing, ate at the stand part and really enjoyed it.  Reading all this, makes me want to go back sooner.  I have been thinking about it for a while now.  I will probably use points.

goestoeleven Gold

Seattle Renn is great.  I had a similar experience at the Marr - Waterfront .... crawling with tourists.  My only knock on the Renn is that the rate went up about $80 in the past year.  So, my most recent Seattle stay was at the Courtyard - Pioneer Square  ... great location, nice Bayview room.

Go Nats!

Thanks for the Courtyard tip.  I will look into staying there on my next trip.

goestoeleven Gold

Perhaps it's worth noting that Seattle is the only city in which I use the public transportation while on Biz travel.

The light rail leaves right from the Aiport terminal to downtown.

Approx. 25 minutes to Pioneer Square Station (same as taxi).

Under $5.

Courtyard is 1/2 block away.

goestoeleven:

Many thanks for the info! Since I have never been to Seattle, I was going to look into cab and shuttle service. This info is very helpful! I don't mind public transport at all when I'm traveling on my own, as I am this trip.

I too am thankful for the light rail info, 11.  You just opened up my world a bit, as Seattle is a frequent connection point for me on Alaska Air.

Many thanks!

Good to know.  Last time I got in, tired and had to wait a long time for shuttle and then drive all over dropping people off.  If rail is available, I prefer to use it.  Thanks.  Now I know about the CY and rail.

keglerbill Platinum 1 Reviews

Stayed the the Seattle Renaissance June 30-Jul2. Good experience, however, when I checked in I asked about the Concierge Lounge. I expected it to be closed on Saturday, but was told it was closed until July 5th because of the holiday. I asked about a breakfast coupon for Monday morning, in accordance with the terms and conditions for Platinum Premiere. I was given a 25% off coupon for both mornings in the hotel restaurant. I questioned why I didn't get a coupon for breakfast (100% off) on Monday. Was told they don't do that. I was in no mood to argue so did not pursue it.

Was hoping to get a survey from them after the fact -- but nothing so far.

Most of the time I will assert myself when a property tries to shortchange. Just didn't feel up to it this time -- but it is still annoying. Otherwise, very modern, very chic property.

I think that was at least part of why the vote started about the CL closing over extended holidays.  They should have given you a 100% breakfast coupon.  I am not sure why Marriott is doing this when their competition is offering more.

Aargh.  Totally agree with Californian.  Am very about keglerbill's non-comped breakfast experience.  Platinum Premiere.  C'mon, Seattle Ren!

kagesan Platinum

staying two nights at the Seattle Renaissance based mostly on several reviews, yours included.  Fingers crossed on a nice room upgrade!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...