4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2013 9:47 AM by sidbaby1936 RSS

On the Loose: Useful Apps for Traveling

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
Currently Being Moderated

Whether you’re trying to navigate the Paris Metro or wondering how to ask for directions in Mandarin, chances are “there’s an app for that.” Technology has made it easier to travel, and now you can do everything from book hotels to print boarding passes from one device—your phone.

Marriott’s free app is an example of what your mobile device is capable of: You can search and book hotels, browse hotel photos and amenities, discover destinations with maps and guides and access your Marriott Rewards® account. Member alrenaissance thinks it’s “an awesome tool for making, checking or canceling reservations while on the go,” and appreciates the feature that lists nearby restaurants, events, clubs and more and tells you how far they are from your hotel.

Once you’ve made all your reservations, vaboywnder recommends TripIt to create an itinerary with all your travel details. “I’ve been able to manage my Marriott hotel reservations, airline tickets and car rentals…It’s also nice to be able to share your travel plans with others using the same program.”

Psukeith5053 uses airlines’ apps for every stage of air travel, and while on the ground recommends Road Ninja, which “tells you what restaurants and gas stations are coming up on each exit.” Sdbroker recommends a number of apps, including FlightTrack to “keep track of flights, airport maps, gate for take-off and arrivals, seat charts and layover times.”

When it comes to dining on the road, heading where the locals go is always a smart move. For recommendations and reservations, mgoes2 uses Urbanspoon, Tasting Table and Open Table. If you need in-depth destination information, eaglecroy never travels to Europe without Rick Steves, whose free apps allow you to download guidebook information before leaving home so you can access it without Wi-Fi or service.

Special thanks to members alrenaissance, vaboywnder, psukeith5053, sdbroker, mgoes2 and eaglecroy. To see one of your posts featured, we encourage you to contribute helpful tips, thoughts, experiences and insights throughout the community.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: On the Loose: Useful Apps for Traveling
    gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

Some good programs there, most of which I heard of and used. Interested in Road Ninja but it looks like the reviews are bad for Android and iOS. Definitely find it useful if they can provide accurate restaurants and gas stations coming up. I tried Google Maps but don't think it will notify you that there is a restaurant or gas station at the next exit. Some highways will have this information especially service stops. But there are times when it's a little deep outside of the exit area and that's where an app like Road Ninja (if/when it works properly?) will be useful. Actually had this happen a few weeks ago when I wanted to look for a gas station. I gave up with Google Maps since by the time I saw the picture I already passed the exit. I just went off an any exit after that and started looking for one on the main roads manually.

There's another program similar to TripIt called WorldMate. I tried the two apps back and forth but eventually stuck with WorldMate.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

a6pack Platinum 1 Reviews

I would add Yelp and AroundMe.  Both help me find restaurants, bars, retail stores, etc., when traveling in unfamiliar areas.  Additionally, Yelp provides helpful tips and reviews from other "Yelpers".  TripAdvisor helps me to find recreational activities.  Finally, I'd add Taxi  Magic if you aren't rending a car (I also use the Avis app).

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

My Top 5 travel apps (all for iPhone, some may have Android versions or equivalents):

• AirportStatus:     Real-time feed of US airport delays (Ground Delays, Ground Stops, General Delays, and Airport Closures) from the FAA
    • Airport Maps:     Most major and 2nd-tier US and Canadian airports, showing airport gates, facilities, & concessions.  Pinch-to-zoom an eye-saver!
    • AroundMe:         Very handy general-purpose app for just finding nearly anything that is, well, around me.
    • Translate:           From Google. Type a word or phrase, have it translated into a huge number of languages, rotate to display nice & big for the taxi or clerk, and will even speak the phrase for many of the languages.
    • TripIt:                  Simply, my live & die app. I'm all over North America 36+ weeks per year, and with all the air, car, and hotel reservations floating around, this became the "One App to Rule Them All".

My on-again, off-again apps include Yelp, Urbanspoon, and Taxi Magic.

In addition, I use the vendor-specific apps from Hertz, Marriott, SuperShuttle, and United. Each is useful, but not necessarily a sufficient replacement for its web counterpart (although the United app comes close!).

I should give a mention to Fourquare. Even though it's more of a location-based social networking site & app, many checkins trigger deals at various vendors.  I've gotten some surprise discounts that were fairly nice.

sidbaby1936 Gold 3 Reviews

I use Viator, arrivalguides.com and havent ever had any issues using them.

Pretty easy to navigate.

I will also surely try some of the other apps listed previously, never hurts to have a vast list to choose from.

Every little bit can help make your trip smoother and more enjoyable

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...