14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2013 11:07 AM by iahflyr Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Steer Your Way to Savings: Getting the Best Rates on Rental Cars

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
Currently Being Moderated

Spending your summer on the road (literally) doesn’t mean you have to spend a lot. As a Marriott Rewards® member, you automatically save up to 35% (plus earn points) on Hertz rentals, but as Insiders have discovered, there are even more ways to fuel your next road trip using less cash.

Alrenaissance takes advantage of the free Hertz #1 Gold membership included in the Gold and Platinum Elite benefits, which includes additional discounts and a more convenient car pick-up, and also recommends doing an online search for coupons with major rental companies including Avis and Budget. Because of Marriott’s partnership with Hertz, you can both earn and redeem points for car rentals. Onetiredpuppy has “earned as many points with a 3-day rental as I did staying at the hotel,” and notes that using your Marriott Visa to pay earns you even more points. Painedplatinum gives you a general idea of how many points you need for a rental with Hertz, and see how Razorbackfan redeemed points for a rental.

Many Insiders find that the key to getting the best deal is shopping around. Kristyw checks Promotion Central frequently and suggests signing up for rental-car promotions. Steppingstones and tef6178 offer detailed accounts about how checking with companies for the latest prices pays off; steppingstones also recommends Costco Travel and National Car Rental’s membership program. Get a number of tips from vaboywnder, including avoiding airport locations, using a AAA discount for Hertz rentals, going with a generic rental company and getting discounts for various companies by signing up for Geico’s free privileges program.

Special thanks to members alrenaissance, onetiredpuppy, painedplatinum, razorbackfan, kristyw, steppingstones, tef6178 and vaboywnder. To see one of your posts featured, we encourage you to contribute helpful tips, thoughts, experiences and insights throughout the community.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Steer Your Way to Savings: Getting the Best Rates on Rental Cars
    pesky Platinum

I have seen my points in account activity. I used a code that i received by email from Marriott (CDP 154080 and PC 173736) and only received 500 points. I wish I had none about this at the time. I did not get the discount and have since rented 4 times with Hertz taking their triple points over the 500. I recognize that I am complaining, sorry.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

This is a good thing to share.  Car rentals have gone through the roof and is the main reason that I am changing the way I travel.  A short time ago, I paid $100 for a week in Hawaii and now often it is close to $100 per day.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I'd like to hear suggestions on how to rent a car for a "reasonable" amount at Phoenix airport.

Last month I was in Phoenix for two weeks and the taxes, surcharges and fees came out to 101% of the base car rental. That is, the $250 rental came out to a little over $500 for the two weeks. In all of my worldwide travel, I have never experienced anything like it, not even NYC.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Years ago when we took our cross country Amtrak ride, we rented a car in Phoenix for the 3 days we were there.  We were charged a really good rate, but he tried to talk us into getting insurance, which I declined because Amex furnished that for free.  When we got the Amex bill, they had charged twice, which Amex declined to pay for us since they actually had them for the same day.  This was at a rental place in a Crown Plaza Hotel, if I remember correctly.

Maybe they have mini-lease rates out of the airport for a lesser rate for that long.

Do you think an Enterprise from a location other than the airport might be able to pick someone up at the airport, or even take some other transportation to another location to rent from?

curiousone Platinum

Several years ago voters in Maricopa County agreed to raise taxes on tourists to pay for our sports stadiums, rental cars and hotels. Unfortunately, Maricopa County learned this from other states and it seems to me that most airport rentals are taxed at a very high rate. I realized this when I rented a "free" car from Hertz in Las Vegas and the taxes were more than the regular cost of my "free" rental. Having grown up in the car culture of Los Angeles and preferring a car, I am slowly learning to use public transportation. The T-rail in Boston is awesome. The light rail in Phoenix is a good start. I will be using the light rail in Seattle for my trip in May. Fortunately San Diego is close enough that I can drive there, otherwise their light rail would be good.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

You are not alone.  When planning a trip, I consider if I can get by without a car and am tending to lean in that direction.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Living on the east coast, and traveling on the east, I rarely use a car.

I can get to 4 airports with no car.

-EWR via NJT

-PHL via NJT to SEP

-JFK/LGA via NJT to LIRR

Or I can travel to any east coast city via train

-DC/BWI via Amtrak in approximately 2 hrs.

-PHL via NJT/SEP

-NYC via NJT

-Boston via Amtrak

Even went to Charleston for a cruise departure via Amtrak.

eppyvox Gold 6 Reviews

For the BEST rates, do not rent at the airport, you will get charged for tourist taxes that are the same or more than the rental price.  Find an offsite location nearby, take a taxi for a few dollars and you will save hundreds. I've been doing this for years, and just save a ton in FLL last week.  I was quoted $1184 for 9 days picking up at the airport.  At the same brand agency 3 miles away ($8 cab ride) I paid $311 for the same exact rental, during Christmas week.

• Re: Tips for traveling the Northeast via train

I have tried to get that rate at the airport, but its only off airport with the low rates, hence a cab ride to get it.

I do often get a $13/day rate in MI.  Usually I see the hotmial ad for this, and then call the car companies directly so I can use my loyalty programs for upgrades and grace period on return

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I appreciate all of your comments, but they don't help me. I'm arriving after 10:00pm and all of the potential off-airport offices are closed. The agencies also don't make it easy because there aren't any rental offices near the airport itself, such as nearby hotels.

I'll just have to pay the extortion fees and suck up to the fact that I'll help paying for a stadium that I'll never set foot in.

I'm wondering if these exorbitant fees drive away conventions from the city. Between the high hotel taxes and rental car fees, I can see some travel departments steering people away from this town.

mikiegfla

Have had similiar problems, especially with airports that close early like Manchester, NH.

If the flite is delayed, you get in after everything (car rentals, limos, etc) has closed.

What I have done in the past is to spend the nite at the airport, and pickup the car in the a.m.

Also use to do this when we went for meetings in Petaluma CA from Boston.

We would fly into SFOm keaving Boston in the pm, overnight at one of the many hotels at SFO, then pick up the car in the am

When I go to MI, I do the same.

Often makes a difference in my car rental price, like if I arrive on a Thur, but wait to Fri to pick up the car, I get the weekend special rates, and I have one less day to pay.

And if I overnite at the airport on the way out, I drop the car before I stay at the hotel.

Often I save enough money on the car to more than pay for the hotel.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

There are a number of rate codes I have found for Avis which is my preferred car rental company.  I've used airline rate codes and golf equipment manufactoring codes, just have to be creative and plug in the different rate codes to see which is best.  As mentioned previously, the airport fees/taxes are insane with DFW and IAH being some of the worst.  Also, after you reserve your car check back about a week to 10 days out and search the rates again as some seem to drop in that time frame.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...