18 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2012 1:52 PM by mike929 RSS

New Orleans - Should I stay at New Orleans Marriott or the JW?

txnroses Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have reservations for the end of July at both the JW Marriott and the New Orleans Marriott.  Both are on Canal Street.  Both are category 6 hotels.  Has anyone stayed at either of these hotels?  How were the rooms?  I hate small rooms.  I assume that the views will be almost the same for both since they are so close to one another.  Would you recommend one over the other?  Did anyone receive upgrades?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Orleans, LA
  • Re: New Orleans - Should I stay at New Orleans Marriott or the JW?
    dyastremski Platinum

The Marriott is a huge convention hotel.  I've stayed there and enjoyed the experience; however, depending on what convention is in town, you may be dealing with huge crowds and elevator waits.  The concierge lounge at the Marriott offers a great view and service.  I haven't stayed at the JW.  It's across the street though and seems to be a smaller, more boutique style property.  The main entrance to the JW is on a side street; however, there is an entrance on Canal. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I know you're not looking for another option but, We really enjoy the Hotel in the New Orleans French Quarter: Pere Marquette New Orleans, Louisiana Hotel Near Bourbon Street , also a Cat 6....Really great staff and beautiful rooms.  We also would recommend.. Hotel in New Orleans: Renaissance Arts Boutique New Orleans, LA Hotel Near New Orleans Convention Center....another Cat 6. The Arts District is a great section of the city. We were there for a "white out" of sorts. It was a street fair where everyone was encouraged to wear white...very cool.

I can echo dyastremski's observation above... the Marriott is a very nice convention style hotel. The JW a little more upscale.

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

I've stayed at both, and prefer the Marriott.  The JW (main entrance is on Common Street) is has been noted more of a boutique or upscale property.  While a convention at the Marriott may be annoying, it's on a par with weddings at the JW, so pick yer poison.

I've also stayed at the CY, which is serviceable, but as a Cat 5, not worth it. I've never stayed at the RI (Cat 4), but now you'd be seeing some real point savings.  Besides, in NOLA, all you want is a place to flop. The room should be the place you spend the least amount of time in!

jk back on the scene!!! I like your style, jk, just need a place to flop. New Orleans is really that kind of city. We go every 3 years or so and never get tired of it.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

HI all,

I'd like to reopen this conversation.  I need to be at least near the Marriott New Orleans on Canal Street in January, but it is the convention hotel, something that never endears itself to me when we are talking thousands of people.  The Renaissance sounds interesting, but how far away, especially for January? I currently made a reservation at the JW because the price diff with the Marriott was minimal.  Can anyone break down the pluses and minuses of the three properties?
        Thanks!
        ProfChiara

erc Platinum

If rates are close, I prefer the JW. The rooms are larger and to me the pace was less hectic than the Marriott which is heavy convention business site. I loved the I Club downstairs (free to Plats, probably free to all by now) great place for easy going jazz, a beer or wine to top off the day. Also being on the other side of Canal, just seemed to be more peaceful, yet close enough to the action and some very nice spots, one of my faves  Bon Ton Cafe and the WWII Museum. Note: smaller pool, than the Marriott - but you can use either. The good news, you probably can't miss with either, nice concierge lounge in both with excellent views. (as obvious by omission, I haven't stayed at Ren)

Hi erc,

This is exactly what I want to know.  My convention meets jointly with the American HIstorical Association, and there is nothing so awful as seeing historians at every turn in a hotel or restaurant .  So unless I hear otherwise, the JW it will be.  AAA rate was good and cancels out not having to register for the AHA part of the convention.

Thanks! ProfC

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

I really enjoyed the Ren. off of Canal.  I would stay away from the convention Marriott.  Remember your experience with The Marriott Times Square in NYC.  It may be like the famous Yogi Berra quote, "It's de je vu, all over again"!

Hi Jerry,

Plus the Chicago Magnificent Mile last year for the same convention - it was terrible.  I can pay pretty much the same as I would for the reduced conference hotel fees because I don't have to rejoin an organization that is of no interest to me (the AHA) or pay its ridiculous registration fees. I'll keep an eye on both. My only concern is to be near the conference hotel since it will be January. I've been in New Orleans in January...:)

Prof,

We love the Pere Marquette Renaissance. It's very beautiful and the staff are professional and well trained. The lounge, not open on weekends, was very nice.The Marriott felt "conventiony", but was a fine hotel. We have been in, but never stayed at the JW.

Since I will be solely there starting Thursday night and leaving at 6 am Sunday morning, would you still recommend the Pere Marquette without lounge?  Jerry, do you know if the JW has weekend service? I arrive around 12 Thursday but am in meetings all day, so Friday and Saturday will be my key breakfast days.

Thanks! ProfC

txnroses Platinum

I would recommend the JW.  Although the lounge is closed on week-ends, last month they had a small amount of breakfast foods in the lobby. (Bagels, danish, etc)

Thanks, txnroses!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Professor, we have stayed at most of the Marriott properties near the French Quarter and Convention Center except the J. W.  We had reservations there several times because of the great reviews; however, we had to cancel for some reason.  Last weekend, we stayed at the Renaissance Arts.  When I asked about breakfast, I was given a voucher "just this once".  The food was ok, but the service was terrible (I hate to complain about a freebie!).  We've enjoyed several stays at the Marriott on Canal and the Renaissance Pere Marquette.  Neither location has provided vouchers for breakfast.  The Renaissance P.M. would be the calmer of the 2 hotels.  Their rooms are many different sizes and shapes.  One time, we stayed in "an itty bitty room with an itty bitty price" that also included breakfast.  I haven't seen that offer in a long time.  I don't remember having a bathtub in our room, so you may want to ask about that if you decide to stay there.

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Prof Chiara:

I like the JW best but when you are seventy busy hotels (read Marriott) have less appeal ...enjoy but not right now things are WET.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks, I'm feeling for you as I watch the weather. Last time I was in NO (well before Katrina) it was also in January, and it rained then too, which is why I asked. Sounds like the JW is best. Thanks to all!

ProfC

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

professor,

Don't think the REN. had week-end service.  It may be too far to commute to Marriott, especially on a wet January morning.  Maybe the JW is the way to go.

Good luck.

mike929 Platinum 5 Reviews

I stayed at the 555 Marriott just a few weeks ago and I enjoyed my stay.  Room however was small ( king bed) and tiny bathroom (if that matters).  Friendly staff and decent food in the lounge.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...