8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2012 1:48 PM by tef6178 RSS

Looking for advise on using MRP for travel in Italy

lensoftomorrow Gold
Currently Being Moderated

When in Kauaii I saw in a Marriott book a first class vacation for two to Rome, Venice and a few cities in Tuscany for 500K reward points (the old ones).  Now when I talk with Marriott phone agents, no one can get me any info on this or how best to try and book a similar trip.  Any ideas on best use of half a million points for a trip to Italy?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Looking for advise on using MRP for travel in Italy
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Lensoftomorrow,

Welcome to Marriott Rewards Insiders.  I have not used points to purchase a hotel + air package in quite a while, but there are many Insiders who do, and think it's a good deal.  What you would probably want to do is a hotel + air package for Rome, and then book your Venice stay (and/or Florence stay) on points separately.

Here is a link on another thread here where the same question was raised:

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/10482

Better, here's a link to the Marriott Rewards webpage that explains how the points packages work:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

For Venice, I recommend the Boscolo Venezia.  For Rome, the Grand Flora.  For Florence, I believe there is one Marriott hotel there (can't remember which brand), but I've not stayed at that property.  It's been fairly well documented that to ensure getting a room on points at these properties, one needs to book WELL in advance, one year is best.  If you have any other questions, let us know.  We're here to help!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lensoftomorrow Gold 25 Reviews

Thank you Pluto 77

This was helpful but I still don't see how I get a few days in Rome, and a few days in the other cities in the package.  It seems you get one week in one city and that cannot be split. Am I misunderstanding?

Thanks

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Lens,

You reference "the old ones" in your original post. Are you referring to an old offer that you found? I know, a few years ago, Marriott Rewards offered a 7 day stay at multiple locations in Ireland/England that I added to my "DreamRewards Tracker". That type of Reward went away around 2010, I think. I'll try and find previous threads that address this topic.

Here you go, Lens...it was called the Euro Hopper, I recall the Hawaii Hopper, also. Many Rewards Members would love to see this offered again.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/6614#6614

lensoftomorrow Gold 2 Reviews

appreciate the answers/insight painedplatinmum.

actually, the "old" was was in reference to Marriott reward points as opposed to the new Destination points.

It is very confusing especially when on their sites it just says "points".  Like here:

Itinerary - Italy Tours | Country Roads of Tuscany & Umbria featuring Italy’s Charming Hill Towns | Tours of Italy | Collette Vacations

6000 points for a weeks tour.

and can that translate into reward points?  No clue.

I think tef6178 is a Vacation Club veteran. I'll bet he can help define the differences and nuances.....

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Lens:

The package that you have here is a package that uses the Destinations Club program and is offered for Destinations Club points. The 6000 points they refer to are destinations Club points you get when you choose to use your week through the Destinations Club program. Each week you own is assigned a specific 'Destinations program' point value that is completely different from the Rewards program values. For instance, I can trade my week for Rewards points and get 110,000 points. However, the Destinations point value is only 2325. So, based on that, the point value for Destinations have more value. That is true. I can buy Rewrads points for .0125 for each point. A Destinations Club point costs about $11 each I believe. It appears to me that this trip is part of the Explorer Collection in the Destinations program. The Destination program can be viewed here:

http://www.marriottvacationclub.com/index.shtml

There is a program that allows Rewards members who are Vacation Club owners to use Rewards points for airfare and car that is different from the normal Rewards point booking for air/car and hotel. I'll copy the newsletter page that shows you how this works and quite possibly the program you referred to can be found under the section on the newsletter that says 'Owner Tips...Booking airfare with Marriott Rewards points'. If you click on that a new page comes up that allows one to input destinations and the points needed is priced for the itinerary chosen. However, hotel appears to be extra. I hope it displays because I had to sign in to reach this info. Here it is:

https://www.my-vacationclub.com/common/vc/en-us/enewsletters/2012/march_regular.htm

Hope this helps!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Sorry Lens,

I didn't quite realize exactly what you were referencing.  Unfortunately I am not familiar with anything like that.  Your link above does seems to be referring to destination points, and I do not know how those work.  I hope some of the other MVCI owners can weigh in with some good information for you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...