15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2012 8:01 PM by lone6star RSS

Residence Inn point earnings question

mbrown277 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Why are the Residence Inn's worth less in points than just about every other Marriott brand?   The other suite hotels aren't geographically convenient to where I travel for work, so I've resigned myself to fewer points for more comfort during my stay.  But it's still annoying.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Residence Inn point earnings question
    gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

Don't know if this is the reason for it, but Residence Inn are usually better suited for families since the rooms are bigger. I don't recall ever staying at a RI for my business stays. Those who want to earn more points will probably stay in the other properties instead.

I'm not sure if you already have this, but you can sign up for the Marriott credit cards (a couple of them out there) to earn additional points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mbrown277 Platinum 1 Reviews

I stay in them for my business trips because I like the extra room for doing morning stretches as well as being able to cook so I can eat healthy while on the road.    The Courtyard and full Marriott (which are the other brands available where I travel) have very small rooms. Having a Marriott Visa does help somewhat with the points accumulation.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Don't think that is the reason, rather that what business people stay here at lower monthly rates.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

MrB,

I'm sure it has to do with the intended use "purpose" of Residence Inn. It is classified as an Extended Stay facility. The same is true for TownePlace Suites. Both of these brands offer the kitchen or kitchenette. I also like having the extra room and kitchen availability.

Both of these brands are 5 points to the dollar vs. the rest at 10 points to the dollar. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

It is what it is.....

True...but the fact of the matter is it's a truly ridiculous policy. The costs for rooms at some Residence Inns (in some cases) exceed the price of a full service property. It's foolish IMO for Marriott to give 5 points for a stay instead of the 10 at other properties when the price points are consistent or higher than other properties. RI rates do not give a break on any pricing until a reservation hits a minimum of 5 days. Then they drop the rate a small amount when a reservation meets or exceeds 5 nights.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I don't disagree tef.  I think it's aimed more for the folks that stay for months. I have met people that have been in the same Res Inn for almost a year. They were there for a long term, but not permanent, assignment for work. Their company had negotiated a bottom dollar rate. Either way, I'm with you, I'd like to see the point value increased to 10 on the dollar.

Pained:

Agree with you here!

bigmike Platinum

I avoid them like the plague because of their poor rewards value.  I won't stay in one, period.

bigmrm Platinum

To me, Residence Inns are a pretty good value. You get a lot of space for the money spent.  RIs also offer free breakfast and most offer some sort of free dinner or cocktail hours weeknights, sometimes even with beer and wine included, which is roughly equivalent to a Marriott's concierge lounge (i.e. better food in RI but not private as a CL). While I'm not sure I agree with the 5/pts vs 10/pts in most other properties, I'm not as ticked off about it as some others are. Maybe nights spent at regular rates should be 10 points but nights spent using one of the many long-term rates should be 5. Makes it complicated but a lot more fair in my opinion.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Bigmrm,

Agreed.  I like the RI's for when I need two private bedrooms.  It saves me a lot of money.  For the same price as a Courtyard with two queens or one king, I can get a two bedroom/two bathroom suite, with additional sleeping on a sofa bed in the living room if necessary, plus a free hot breakfast for all.  Since it costs less than half the price of two rooms (and breakfasts) at a Courtyard (for example), I don't mind getting half the points.  Seems fair to me from that perspective.

mbrown277 Platinum 25 Reviews

pluto77: If the Residence Inn were costing me less than the Courtyard, I would agree with you.  But the Residence Inn costs more than the Courtyard (in the geographic area where I travel), so earning fewer points for a higher priced property doesn't make sense.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

OK.  (Ya, the properties I was referring to are right next door to one another, and the price is almost even.)

Geographic location means a lot--also with salary of individuals!

srtinnro Platinum

I know what you mean.  It seems awfully silly to me too.  Town Place Suites are the same way.  I always try and opt for the SpringHill Suites whenever possible.  SH gives you the same type of ammenities as RI, but you get full points.  On the other hand, when traveling on Reward Points, I always like RI because there is more room, and it works out great with the family.  Not sure why I have to spend the same amout of points though, when you only earn half on paid stays...

A RI is hte best place for business travelers who stay for lng periods of time inclusive of weeekends.  What's also nice, as someone else mentioned above, is that you ncan negotiate with the hotel manager monthly reduced rates.  The addiitonal space, the kitchen, the fee breakfasts ans depending on the location---freee dinners at night, make it all the worrhwhile.  Many have pools and free business centers as well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...