57 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2013 11:50 AM by aaronplatinum4life RSS

2012 Birthday Bonus (One Night Elite Credit)...

taxman415 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone heard if Marriott is going to continue with the awarding of one night elite credit for your birthday as they did in 2012? Thanks...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 2012 Birthday Bonus (One Night Elite Credit)...
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

taxman

Just curious, why are you interested in this relatively meaningless gesture?  just asking....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

shoeman, it seems to me that the gesture is meaningless only are able to accumulate sufficient number of nights otherwise.  For some, this gesture might be the break point to the next higher level.  Besides, I don't see any harm done by offering the 1 EQN.  Am I missing something?

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

I didn't receive such email. 1 EQN is still 1 less night needed (even though I probably won't need it to reach Platinum). I just checked my profile and noticed that my birthday was not on file. Just updated my profile. Any chance Marriott will still give that one night?

my understanding is that if your birth date has already passed this year, then you will start getting the one EQN with your next birth date.

tupperkid Gold

Where in your profile do you add your birthday?  I can't find it.....

Thanks in advance!

well, that's a good question.  I thought I went into my MR profile under my account on the Marriott homepage.  Now I don't see it under the personal information, so maybe that's something that possibly changed with one of the versions of the Marriott website.  Hopefully someone who knows more than me about computers will tune in...HA!...that shouldn't be hard to find!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

A place to enter my birthday was not in my profile page either. I had to call Rewards customer service and they entered it for me.

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

My guess is that your birth date was already entered if you don't see it. I went to my profile and then clicked on Edit Personal Information link. Right under that "1. Membership Information" was my rewards number and a field to select my date of birth. Once I saved the changes and went back to double check, it was gone. It looks like after this, you will need to contact Marriott to update it if it's incorrect.

iminphilly Platinum 1 Reviews

Can someone tell me how to add my birthday to my profile please?  Also, I called the platinum rewards line and asked about this promotion and was told that there is no such promotion.  Still want to add my birth date though, just in case they were misinformed.  Thanks.

iminphilly Platinum 1 Reviews

I also was curious about the Birthday elite night and wasn't able to find a way to add my birthdate to my profile.  I just spoke to a Marriott Rewards representative and was told that even though they had my birthday on file (which is why I couldn't add it) this doesn't automatically enrol you in the promotion.  Apparently they sent an invitation only to a certain profile class and unless you were enrolled you weren't awarded the extra night.  However, they can enroll you manually.  So just call them.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

not really.  I know taxman is a platinum member and more than likely a single addtl night will not make a difference for him (or me).  But, to each his own.....  I do recognize that some folks would appreciate this more than others.

The good thing about this small token of Marriott's appreciation for our business is that only those who add their birthday to their profile (opt in) will be bothered by, or surprised by, depending on your need and point of view, by the addition of this one EQN.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained, or lost.

I'm thankful for the gesture seeing as I'm not the 'super' traveler as all my travel is for leisure (spelled f-u-n).

taxman, I haven't seen any mention of Marriott not continuing this benefit.

kayjbee Platinum

I have never received this in the many years that I have been with Marriott. I also fail to see where in my profile that they have a requirement to list birthdate. I would assume that if you have their credit card they then have that information, but I have never received that perk even with the card. If the do, my birthday was last week .

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

That would be assuming someone built a program to extract the information from the credit card files and load it to Marriott Acount Profile.  and the credit card files should have a lot of security on them, especially when handling birthdates and social secuirty numbers.  The Marriot Profile is just the day and month, with no year.

Somehow I don't think anyone would put this much effort into giving away a free night.

My bank doesn't even bother doing this for the multiple accounts I have with them, all are separate systems I have to update separate, and I am paying them for the services, no freebies there.

Same is true of some of the online shopping sites too.

taxman:

When talking to Rewards service earlier this year (about 2 months ago) I was told they are still crediting the night.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Everyone,

I found this on another thread that I remember from a few months back.  It shows how to navigate to the area on your Marriott Rewards profile page to enter your birthday info.  http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/8412?start=15&tstart=0

I also recall as part of the discussion, that once you enter your birthday, then you no longer see it, but it's in the system.  Seems wierd, but I guess they don't want you to have access to change it once you've entered it?  I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that I recall the NathalieF chiming in and confirming that, 'Yes, if you don't see a spot where you can enter your birthday on your profile page, that means you've already done it and it's in the system.'

As far as how long they are going to continue the generous (according to one's perspective) gesture, that I do not know.

And have a happy Independence Day!

I found this from michellel2 from a while back.  Hope it helps.

"Hi Everybody!  SPOILER ALERT - Here's the scoop on our new Birthday prezzies:

Any member in North America (only available in American English at this time) with a birthday noted in their profile, who has a valid email address, and has made one stay in the prior twelve months will get an email on their birthday.  If they click through, they'll get the elite night credit.  We launched on Oct 10, 2011, so those with birthdays before then will get their birthday message in 2012.  Just as an FYI, we send, on average, 1,700 birthday messages each day, and 60k since we launched this perk.  Fun, huh?

Also, if we have your birthday on file, the box no longer shows up in your profile, so if you don't see a place to put your birthday that means we already have it (we're re-thinking that action to determine whether this is the wisest way to have the site behave).

And sorry about not sending out Rolex watches - we can probably scare up some lapel pins if you're interested.  Or maybe a logo'd ink pen that will explode once you reach a comfortable cruising altitude of 35,000 feet.  "

Here's a spoiler alert from an Insider who thought that their birthday was in the system because they didn't see it on their profile page. It wasn't!

There has been many a discussion regarding the 'birthday' and those departed members (who knew better) all told me that the only way to know that the birthday was in was to call. In addition, another community manager from away back also said that their was some 'glitch' that MAYBE your birthday showed in your profile and MAYBE it didn't. In my case, it didn't. When I called Rewards customer service, they told me it wasn't.

Now, you can hope your birthday is in your profile because you don't see it, but I bet it isn't. So, if you want that big birthday gift, call. If you aren't concerned, don't call. I missed out because I didn't think that the SYSTEM would steer me wrong. It did. Your choice. You make the call (or not).

Well, I suppose I had better make the call then.  I am one MR member who needs every night I can get, as my travel is 100% family and leisure, and still work full time, so travel days are limited.  I'll let you know the outcome.

Misinformation and/or lack of understanding can be a bit frustrating.

iamzeke610 Platinum

I got my birthday bonus 1 night in June so assume they're continuing this promotion.

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

I just received one -- my birthday is in July.    It was nice to get the "Birthday" email from Marriott which announced  they were crediting my account with the night.   No, it doesn't make a difference - I will reach my membership level without it, but it is still nice.   Also, extras will rollover to next  year, just in case I need it then.   All the little thingsMarriott does are appreciated.   After all they are "extras/bonuses".   I stay at Marriotts for the properties, service and value,     Anything more ofered is great!    Thanks Marriott.

Well said, kroywen.  Also, if one is working toward lifetime platinum, then would the birthday night each year help bring one one night closer to that goal?

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

I would think so if it's an elite night credit similar to the credit card one. I'll ask to find out and see if I can get that 1 freebie elite night credit since I didn't seem to have my DOB on file.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

That's right pluto77, the elite night credit does count towards lifetime status.

kroywen - I like your attitude.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks kroywen and happy birthday! We are planning to extend the gesture of an elite night credit on your birthday through 2013. Once you've added your birthday to your Marriott Rewards account it should then be captured but is not currently displayed - the team is however working to make that information visible in your account.

Thanx for the tip!

I need to enter mine before midnight :=)

So then, happy birthday?  Happy Birthday, GP!

Thank you Pluto for the Bday wishes.

I entered my b-day, 1 hr before.  Hopefully they don't process monthly or I may have missed it since others were talking about getting their July nite already.  This is another one where it might be nice to have a choice between points and a night, for those of us platinum that are not in need of nights.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Yes.  Happy Birthday late.

My sister in TX has the same birthday.

kellye Silver

How do you add your birthday to your profile?  I just tried to find that and couldn't...

Go to My Account - Profile

Select the edit link on the far right, or Edit my Profile further down the page.

Both take you to the same page that has 3 columns.

• Column 1 on the far right is where you will find a place to enter your bday.  I entered mine last night, and now I notice the field is no longer visible, and instead was replaced with my name and rewards number
      • Column 2 is in the center, and contains all the contact information [email, phone]
      • Colmn 3 is on the right hand side, and contains mailing address info.

p.s. I guess its a one-time entry field, as they are not expecting any changes, though I do wonder what they do when there are typos and it it needs fixing.  Hopefully customer support can access it.

A quick note to all. When I registered for the b-day night, there were 2 parts to the deal. First was your birthday had to be in the system. Second was that you had to be signed up for the b-day promotion. Now, there was not a place on my profile page to enter my b-day. I called the MR number and asked them if it was there. I was told no and they manually entered it for me. They then told me I had to be registered for the b-day night and said they would do that for me. Make sure you have done both is my short advice..

I called C/S yesterday to ensure that my birthday was included in my profile.  I did not ask to be registered in the birthday program, but I did explain why I wanted to be certain that my birthday was noted in my profile, which I would think clearly implied that I wanted to be registered.  We'll see.  I have to say that without fail, every individual I have ever spoken with on the C/S line has come  across as very articulate, intellligent, confident and knowledgeable about the topic of matter, so I am comfortable in assuming that I have been taken care of.

Yes, they were exceedingly professional when I called them and they told me they would enter and sign me up for the promo!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Why so complicated?  I didn't know until MI discussions.  I put my date in and now I am supposed to register.  Are they trying to discourage us?  I am lifetime plat and don't need it but think it should have been offered in an easy format.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I remember this as well!  I guess with the recent comments, u hhave to call CS now instead of signing into the Promo.

aaronplatinum4life Platinum 28 Reviews

My birthday is in my profile, but I have never received the credit...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...