13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2012 7:14 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Why 2 upgrades to get a 2-Bedroom Suite at Residence Inn

kandnel Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Its obvious to me that Marriott is no longer a family friendly hotel chain.  When I wanted to book a 2 - bedroom suite at any Residence Inn around Portland, Oregon I could book one for cash but not one for points.  I had to call 3 of them and speak to the managers to get their agreement to book for points and then, when I called Marriott Rewards to find out how many points its would take they said they would charge me not one set of upgrade points but two sets per day!!!!  This  makes it impossible for a family to have enough points to stay at at Residence Inn unless they save for years....in my case it would have taken 270,000 points for 12 nights.  Usurious and unfair.  As a frequent busines traveler, my preferred hotel chain will soon change.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why 2 upgrades to get a 2-Bedroom Suite at Residence Inn
    gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

This varies by property. Their website ( Free Hotel Stay and Hotel Upgrade from Marriott ) mentions this and sometimes may even require more than 2 upgrade rewards for a room upgrade.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kandnel Gold 1 Reviews

I think for a Marriott Residence Inn that has no view or anythiing special, requesting 2 upgrades for the second bedroom is usurious and unfair and unfamily friendly.

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

The point redemption are for standard rooms only. No where in the T&C does it mention a guarantee for a suite (possible but not likely). The standard room at a Residence Inn should either be the guest room type or studio room type. The property you mention has the 1 & 2 bedroom suites and I'm not surprised that they want 2 upgrade rewards to bump you up that high.

Regarding the no view situation, they have rooms with balcony and water views. Whether you think it's special or not (even though there might not be much to see outside) it's a plus from a regular room for some people.

So you're saying that with the 2 upgrades, it's going to be a total of 270,000 for 12 nights? If so, I don't see a problem with that at all. It comes down to about 22,500 points per night which is not bad and I have redeemed regular rooms for more than that (some that were around 30,000 per night for a regular 2 queen bed room). 270,000 points can't be a lot if you say you are a frequent business travel and stay at the Marriott properties. I usually stay at the lower category properties (Fairfield Inn & Courtyard) and accumulated more than that already within a year. I'm not sure why you say this will take you many years to accumulate.

Others who used points for their rooms say that they get upgrades sometimes if they have a high status (perhaps Platinum). Of course, this will vary. I have yet to receive any free upgrades by using my points for stays and I'm a Platinum member.

kandnel Gold 1 Reviews

270,000 point IS a lot for a category 3 property.

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

Perhaps if it was for a regular room. Take a look at:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/pointsGridPopUp.mi?awardType=Standard

I'm looking at the RI at Portland and see that it's a Category 4 property which starts at 20,000 points per night. You are asking for 2 upgrades (which are 5,000 points for each upgrade).

If you want to count it point by point, I would say it should be around 300,000 points. I came up with this total by calculating the following:

20,000 points per night, where the 5th night is free = 10 nights paid is 200,000 points plus 2 free nights (for every 5th night) making it 12 nights total

Upgrade point assuming it's just two upgrades goes for 5,000 points each = since you have 2 upgrades there it's 10,000 points x 10 nights = 100,000 points

I'm not sure how they got 270,000 points but from what I see, you saved 30,000 points. Not sure what you got out of that call to speak to the GM but this seems reasonable. Again, as a frequent traveler I don't see how it will take several years to earn this. I think I earned that amount (give or take) in less than 6 months and I ONLY stay at the low category hotels so points earned are much lower compared to staying at a full service Marriott.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

2-bedroom option is usually not even offered when you try to make a Rewards Points reservation, so you were lucky they are willing to allow you to get one.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

If you are platinum and have 135,000 points available; have you considered using the points to get $1000 in gift checks that work as cash?  Then you don't even have to mention the points, get credit for nights stayed, and still get points for the checks.  At a RI, that would still be 7700 points back and the credit of the 12 nights.  Really good when a Mega Bonus is going on, but possibly good for your minimum nights stay if you need them, too.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Great suggestion!

Am going to check out points versus checks options for the properties I frequent.

Off the top of my head though, I think I get more stays as well using the checks versus the points.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Yeah.  I don't see how anyone can lose on it.  Getting credit for nights vs. no credit for nights.  And if you stay at places that give 10 pts. per night and get 50% bonus, that's 15,000 pts. back making them 12,000 pts. per night essentially, minimum and without check-in bonus.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Once I looked for a 2 bd RI and pts got the minimun and they I had to pay a price to upgrade to 2 bd.  As it turned out my plans changed and I didn't use it.  Marriott usually allows us to upgrade with pts or cash but as far as I have seen a 2 bd is never offered without an upgrade.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

only remember booking a 2 bdrm RI once.  Was at a conference in my 1 bdrm suites, and a colleague was stuck at a horrible HI with a long drive, so I upgraded to the 2 bdrm, and split the cost on our expense reports.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...