8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2013 11:45 AM by dswan RSS

Room Upgrades Marriott vs Hyatt

steeler59 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am a recent Marriott Platinum member with an experience I would like to share in comparison to Hyatt Platinum status room upgrades and am asking for your feedback/experiences.  My husband and I recently spent two weeks in Hawaii.  The first week we spent at the Grand Hyatt, Kauai.  Upon our arrival we were treated extremely well.  The person checking us in offered us a room and I asked if that was the best room they could offer platinum members.  He did a little searching and offered us one of three rooms.  I ended up selecting the room he initally offered as it was in the best location.  The room was amazing.  A week later we checked into the Wailea Beach Marriott location.  Upon check in we were offered a room and I asked again if this was the best room a platinum member could be offered.  He said that it was and did not do any research to see if there was a better room available.  We went to our room to find that it was located in the basement, below ground level.  It did have a sliding glass door but when you looked out the window all you were able to see was a grass embankment.  Needless to say we were quite disappointed.  I went back to the front desk and asked again if this was the best they could do.  He said that was the best.  Due to my dissapointment, daily I would check their website to check for room availability to see if the hotel was sold out of better rooms.  Each and every day, including arrival day, a variety of additional rooms were available.  I am wondering if this is how Marriott treats all platinum members like this or if others have had a better experience and would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Room Upgrades Marriott vs Hyatt
    gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

I'm sure other members are tired of hearing this, but it might just be the property or the staff member. I didn't know Marriott had guest rooms in the basement before but I would refuse to take that room especially as a Platinum member. On your reservation, did you request a low or high floor? Even on low floor, I can't believe they put you in the basement level.

I have just became Platinum late last year and can definitely say depending on which property you are going to, the service provided is not the same. I hate to say it but it's true and I have witnessed this first hand. Nothing major but you can tell from the way service was provided by the frontdesk also in my case.

You can always take this up with the manager on site or contact them via the Marriott website. Although a room upgrade is not a guarantee (they will try to give you a premium room when/if possible), you should have access to the Concierge Lounge which I think there is one at that property or at least free breakfast if they don't have a lounge.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Steeler59,

This is definitely not how Marriott treats it's Platinum elites, yet obviously you had a bad experience at this property, and I am very sorry to hear about your experience.  I don't think I would have accepted the room, although that's easy to say... what that would ultimately have looked like (where that would have lead, I don't know.  I just can't imagine.)   I can only imagine that I would be deeply disappointed as well with a room like that, and in Hawaii of all places.  I am grateful for your post, as I will steer clear of any Hawaiian hotel/resort property, Marriott or otherwise, that would put me on a basement floor, and I may likely take this property off my list of potentials.  What I will take away from your post at the very least, is that I will now contact a resort property in advance to discuss the potentials before making any reservation.

Thanks again for posting, and welcome to Insiders.

klaus29 Silver

for me the  best way  is to send a e mail to the general  manager  from the hotel for  a  upgrate.  never on on your arrival  day. then all depend  of  the employe  from the fron desk  and a 90%

its to late for get a upgrate.  for  be clear  exuse my englisch  1  week  before your  arrival date  you send a  e  mail to the  general manager;  this  works very good  for me  in europe  and south

east  asia..  many  time i get a suite.  and  if no  a  junior suite; all my  nights with marriott  i get more upgrates, at a small  hotel room,

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

And this is the property they are working so hard to market and are currently offering special promotions for staying between now and December! With treatment of Platinum as such, I can understand why they are looking for customers through a myriad of promotional offerings!

I had my wife convinced to make the trip and was getting ready to book, but I guess this experience has just made me cancel my idea of making a trip to this place on the 'special offer' that is being done for Marriott Rewards credit card members. If this is how they treat folks I want no part of a 16 - 18 hour long and tiring flight for a chance to be in basement accomodations. I'll do something else!

kathywithak Gold

Steeler59,

My husband and I have stayed at the Wailea, Maui property several times (as recent as last December) and always have been upgraded to a very nice room (even as a Gold member). I usually opt to reserve an ocean view room and then when we arrive, the staff upgrades us to ocean front. I'm guessing you reserved the garden view. I agree with the others that you should have asked to speak to the general manager.

schlechtman Platinum

Where did your sliding glass door lead?  A small deck with table and chairs attached to the room or Walk-way as a means to get to the beach?

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Did you use points?  Often, properties treat point people like second class.  I, too, platinum have been told by a Hawaian hotel, that they put paying guests in the best rooms of cat booked and then point people get the rest.  Other times I have been upgraded to a nice room.  I think that they now upgrade you to the best available room in the cat booked.  In other words, you book a garden view, you don't get ocean front.

dswan Platinum 37 Reviews

First - I have lifetime Platinum Marriott status and have been staying at Marriotts for > 10 years pretty much exclusively.  I know this is an older thread, but for anyone seeing this, after a recent spring break trip, by 9 year old son asked us "Which hotel did we get the worse service in"?  He asked this because I've recently started trying Hyatt's and had an incredible experience at a Hyatt we stayed in during Spring Break.  My wife immediately said "The Marriott in Maui" - which meant the the Wailea Marriott.  We've stayed there twice and after both times walked away saying we wouldn't stay there again (there was a 4 year gap between the two, so we did try it again).  Their cards for towels system is laughable, they are expert at smiling and saying "No". One of the best examples I can give is if you want to just order a pizza one night, the delivery person can't come "on property" and must meet you at the flag pole right before the property begins.  This means you can't wait in your room, you have to go meet them at the flag pole.  I could go on and on - but suffice it to say, this Marriott could be a flagship property.  Instead it's a great location with a subpar level of service and archaic rules designed to inconvenience people looking for an incredible vacation.