7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2013 6:40 AM by psudad RSS

Hunt Valley Marriott - Baltimore

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I've never stayed at this Marriott property but have heard mixed reviews about it.  It appears this property will loose it's Marriott affiliation this summer.  Here is a copy of a letter that a friend of mine received regarding an upcoming reservation she has this fall.

Dear Guest:

Our records indicate that we are presently holding a reservation for you at the Baltimore Marriott Hunt Valley Inn. Effective July 1, 2012, the hotel will no longer be associated with the Marriott name, but will continue normal operations as an independent hotel as the Hunt Valley Inn and your reservations will be honored.

Our reservation system will not show your reservation past this effective date. We encourage you to call the hotel directly at (410)785-7000 should you need to re-confirm, change or cancel your current room accommodations. If you wish to make alternate Marriott arrangements, please call our world wide reservations at 800-228-9290.

For our Marriott Rewards members, please be advised the hotel will gladly honor any existing reservations using your Marriott Rewards certificates; however they will need actual paper certificates at check-in. Please contact our Marriott Rewards office at 801-468-4000 to obtain a paper certificate, mentioning this letter to avoid any fees. Also, this property will be unable to award points or miles for your stay.

For guests wishing to utilize Marriott Gift Certificates, Incentive Awards, or Gift Cards, this property will be unable to accept these as a method of payment.

Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you again on your business and vacation travels.

Sincerely,

Marriott’s Customer Care

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Hunt Valley, Maryland, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Courtyard South Bend Mishawaka
  • Re: Hunt Valley Marriott - Baltimore
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Vaboywnder,

Thanks for posting this.  Very informative.  If your friend decides to keep this reservation for this hotel, I hope he/she will not only hang on to the letter, but contact the other hotel as Marriott suggests, to confirm the reservation, and perhaps even get a confirmation email from the new ownership to protect that reservation.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Good advice Pluto.  I know she has called the hotel to confirm her reservation after getting this letter but asking for an e-mail would also be good.  After I made the original post here I saw on TripAdvisor someone who posted a review of the hotel claimed that the hotel lost it's Marriott affiliation after receiving a large number of customer complaints about the property and has been unable to establish another partnership.  It sounds as though the hotel will try to run as an independent hotel.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

My last stay at the Hunt Valley Marriott was in the mid 90's. It had a great golf course on property, if I recall correctly. It was a nice place but was getting long in the tooth even then....sorry to see it go. It may be a trend that the big, resort type properties near US cities are a dying breed. Seaview near Atlantic City left the Marriott logo behind about 3 yrs back. We loved that hotel. It was like taking a step back in time to the grand hotel lobby era.

painedplatinum,

That's interesting that the Seaview in Gallows, NJ was once a Marriott.  I've stayed at the Fairway Villas (MVC) next door which was very nice for the Atlantic City area.  I'm guessing the same franchise company owns both properties.

For those who are interested of the outcome of what happened to the Hunt Valley Marriott, now called the Hunt Valley Inn.   After one year of being a hotel without any brand affiliation the hotel has now partnered with the Wyndham Hotel Corporation.  Since the hotel is still desperately in need of a renovations I'm guessing business is not going to increase much after the affiliation change.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

Good information.  I almost stayed here during my April trip to Baltimore.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I used to stay in this Marriott in the 80's and 90's, then again in the early 2000's.  Over the last 6 years, I have stayed there 2-3 more times for business, as my headquarters is just up the hill.  Unfortunately, when I stayed there a few years ago I was shocked to see it looked exactly as it did well over 20 years ago.  It is tired, run down and looks like it is stuck in the 80's.  It is a shame, too, because it was a very nice hotel.  Painedplatinum, there is no golf course here.  They are surrounded by parking lots and office buildings.  McCormick spices is close by.  When I was traveling there in the 80's and 90's, sometimes in the morning, you would head to your car to the sweet scent of cinnamon or some other spice.  Was nice.

Unless things have changed, this is also a hotel to avoid on Father's Day weekend, as there is a big youth lacrosse tournament in the area and this hotel hosts many of the teams.  I have stayed there for just such an occasion and if I hadn't been a coach and had a son involved, I would have hated being there.

There is a nice Courtyard, just up the hill, on International Circle.  Also, if you want incredible barbeque (more Kansas City than east coast, in my opinion), head south down York Road, to Andy Nelson's.  Delicious.  Home

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...