17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2012 6:48 PM by jerrycoin RSS

I just cleared 110,000 points in my first 60-days...

sdcinok Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I went ahead and signed up as a new Marriott Rewards Member in mid-April since I knew I had a business trip and family vacation this summer that would be Marriott stays.

So, in just 60-days, I've already accumulated 110,000 Marriott points.

* 5,000 = Business stay in DC

* 50,000 = Marriott Premier Rewards Card sign-up Bonus.

* 36,000 = Family Vacation @ St Thomas Frenchman's Cove (includes the 20% points bonus from being a Silver member after getting the Premier card).

* 15,000 = Premier Card Bonus for Marriott Spend.

* 1,000 = Hertz Rental car Bonus at 2-for-1.

* 3,000  = Premier Card Bonus for Misc Spending.

= 110,000 = Rewards Points.

So, I'm planning on a Fall trip with the wife.  One option we're thinking about is the JW Marriott in Cancun.  Using that 110,000 points (and maybe a little more) gets me 4 nights, plus the usual 5th night free.  So five nights in Cancun for practically free just for being a little dilligent about how I managed the money I was already planning on spending when I signed up for Marriott Rewards and the Marriott Premier Rewards Card.

Count me as a satisfied Marriott Rewards member!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: I just cleared 110,000 points in my first 60-days...
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

sdcinok

congrats on the fast beginning.  you have now plucked all the "low-hanging fruit"from the program..  good for you!  enjoy your vacation.....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

SDC,

I have always felt the first time a person can see the goal and reach it is one of the best feelings on Earth. Many, many years ago, I did very similar to what you just did.... and man was I pumped!!  Congratulations, your planning and diligence paid off.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Congratulations skcinok.

This past Spring, Marriott had a promotion where members could get something like 10K bonus points for every friend who signed up for the Marriott Visa, up to a maximum of 50K points.  I really tried to sell friends on the credit card, explaining to them that they could easily accomplish exactly what you did in a short amount of time.  Plus, with the credit card, you should have received your free annual cat 1-4 certificate (and this past Spring I believe they were offering 2 free cat 1-4 certs for those who signed up for the premier credit card during a specific promotional window.)

Here's a tip for you on using your points.  Once you have decided on your hotel and your dates, do not delay in making your reservation using points.  Rooms with points are limited, and you don't want to miss out because all of the rooms designated for reservation on points are booked.  The earlier you book with the points the better.  I always book reservations on points one year in advance (for the most desirable/popular properties) and I've always had success.

Have fun planning and using your points, and welcome to both Marriott Rewards and Marriott Rewards Insiders!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

sdcinok,

Nice job.  Another one I don't see on your list is the Refer a Friend program.  I just did that and the friend got an extra 2,000 points for signing up for a Marriott Memberships and staying, and I got an extra 2,000 points when they stayed also.  We will both get an extra 2,000 points on each of his stays for the first 5 stays (maximum of 10,000 points each), up to a year after he started.  And you can do this for up to 5 friends for a possible 50,000 more points!

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I just did the refer a Friend program as well.  Initiated a Discussion on this as well. Key point here is that they are just joining the Marriott program and not obtaining the credit card.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

SDC,

You got me thinking.. so I looked up where I am for 2012 YTD....If you want to see what it looks like to stay way too many nights in hotels for 6 months, here you go.

58 Total Nights Stayed

15 at CY

14 at TPS

11 at SHS

9 at Marriott

6 at FFI

3 at Res Inn

0 at Ren

220,962  Total Points

44,932   Stay Base Earnings

22,467   50% Elite Bonus

5,700    Arrival Gift Pts

99,000  Mega and Other Bonus'

1,901    CC Air/Car/Dine

36,864  CC Marriott

10,098  CC Non Marriott

PS.. Marriott got 58 of my nights, other chains combined for another 26.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Nice, Pained.  It takes me over 18 months to accrue that, and my paid stays are out of my pocket, not my employers.  Explains why I am barely gold.  (Perhaps I should change my username to BarelyGold.)  On the other hand, that's roughly one third of your life spent on the road.  I hope some of those stays were for leisure.

Nice detail here.  I am in your league.  I have 68 nights this year, and by the end of July I will be at 83 just on hotel nights.  I don't have the time to perform a breakdown, but I have 283,000 points in 6 months so far.  Not trying to brag here or anything.  Even with this pace, I will still be short 300 nights for the Lifetime status by the end of the year!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

sdc:

Nice haul! Congrats...put them to good use!

Congratulations!  Your off to a roaring start.  Be careful in Mexico!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

sdcinok,

Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing this with us!  You will sure put these points to a great trip in the future!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...