8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2012 5:30 PM by lone6star RSS

Horrible stay :(

twilliams10 Gold 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I recently took a trip to Auburn, Alabama for business. I stayed at the Fairfield Inn. There were 3 highlights of this hotel...the breakfast, the indoor pool, and the close proximity to a Starbucks and various shopping/eating locations.

Everything was awful....

1 and 2 - We checked in and our room's remote didn't work, so my husband picks up the phone to call downstairs. The phone doesn't work!!!!  I call down from my cell phone and the front desk person says, "Oh yeah, I think I remember them saying something about the phone earlier...we'll have someone out in the morning to look at it."  I should have known this was a lie, but I was hopeful since this is a Marriott hotel after all...

3- Later on that evening, I'm in the bathroom and a spider is crawling across the floor. Of course I can't stop mid-stream to kill it, so I tried to spray it with Lysol. Didn't kill it, but it did go into a crack in the wall. I go to the restroom again, in the middle of the night, and there is another smaller spider crawling in the same area. I got him this time!

I inform the front desk of the issues, her reply was that they do spray and maybe they had recently sprayed and the bugs were running for cover and would die off. Really??? And what do you suggest I do in the meantime? What if they bite me or my family? What if they get in my luggage or toiletries and I take them home and have bugs in my house???

4- Our room was the last room on the end of the hall... and maybe that means we don't deserve wi-fi connection, but it's advertised and so I expected. We call downstairs again...and she says,"I think someone else was having that same problem. We'll have somone out in the morning to look at it." Same line-- seriously????

So after breakfast and some downtime in the pool and exercise room. We go back to our room to see if any of these "next day" items are resolved...of course not!  So we asked to be moved. The front desk person/housekeeping supervisor asks us why? We tell her and she says, "Let me check if we have any rooms available we're almost sold out for tonight...Really not my problem. Either we're going to resolve my situation or you're going to have a lot of vacant rooms tonight sweetheart!!! So she finds us a room and asks us to move our stuff right then so housekeeping can clean our old room (and they can sell it that night). Get to the new room and one of the lights is blown in the bathroom. Not sure if they have dust mites or some other kind of bug, but something bit me on the back and my jawline/cheek area.

I couldn't believe this is a Marriott hotel with such poor conditions. It appeared to be ran by a bunch of college students. The few times I did see a manager, he made no attempt to see what our problem was or provide any assistance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Horrible stay :(
    gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

Yikes, that is a bad experience. So far I haven't run into any major issues (*knock on wood*) yet at a handful of the Marriott properties. My brother did experience one in Florida where there were ants all over the place. He placed a call to the frontdesk and the manager immediately upgraded him to a better room and apologized for the inconvenience. This was also a Fairfield Inn and I usually stay at these low end properties including the Courtyard. There are times when these things happen and other cases where it's just bad management at the hotel. I would leave them feedback either in the frontdesk or contact via Marriott website with your dissatisfaction. I did this before for complaints and also compliments when the staff went above and beyond their service.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

This is when I ask them if they are really a Marriott, and call the platinum line.

Frankly if between the front desk and the platinum line, the problems can not be fixed, and I am miserable, my next step is to find the nearest property to checkin to immediately.

Only had to do this once, and it was because I actually found 1 Marriott Manager that was argumentative and confrontational.  He was the only one I ever encountered in all my years of staying at Marriotts.

I also asked him if it was really a Marriott, or a pretender, and then left. He didn't charge me, but I don't think it was because he was trying to resolve the problem, instead I think he was hoping to conceal the problem by leaving no record of it.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

TW,

Sorry for the bad experience. I've only had a few in my time, but they are never fun.... On another note, your descriptions were cracking me up. Couldn't stop in mid stream is a classic!!

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

You should contact Marriott Customer Service.  They will take care of you.

twilliams10 Gold 4 Reviews

I did...I got an email saying someone would contact me (from the property) in three to five business days. Well- it has now been an entire month; no response. I'm following up today.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I am finding most of my problems occur when I am not at a FS Marriott. The other brands seem to take liberal interpretation with Marriott benefits

Agree there---have never had a proble at a FS Marriott.

TW:  What happened on the call?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...