4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2012 3:25 PM by NathalieF RSS

Status Help

searay55555 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I spend twice as much at Marriott as a collegue in my office, but he is Platinum and I can't get past Silver Status.  With annual spends of over $10K per year, you would think that I'd be able to rate for at least Gold status.  The problem lies with my stays of between 5-10 nights/year.  How can I remedy this situation without expanding my number of stays, if I continue my annual spends (which I have done for the last 4 years in a row)?  Something doesn't seem fair and balanced...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Status Help
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi searay:

Is your annual spend done with hotel stays or the Marriott Visa Card? The Marriott Visa gives one night of credit credit to you for each $3000 you spend on the card. So, if 10k on the card that's only three nights. You need 50 nights to achieve Gold.

How long has your colleague been a Platinum member? How many nights does your colleague spend in a Marriott hotel? 75 is the requirement for Platinum. Did your colleague do the 'Platinum Challenge' where one can attain the status with the promise of staying a certain number of nights in a 90 day period?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

searay55555 Silver

My annual spend is with the hotel, but not necessarily stays.  Actually, it's a boat slip that is billed 365 days/year.  Sounds like 365 nights to me.  All of the spending goes on my Marriott Visa.

My colleague earned Platinum with stays, not the challenge.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Sea,

The Marriott Rewards program revolves around nights stayed or earned. Dollars spent or points earned won't get status recognition on their own without the nights. I know IHG has a nights or points qualifier, but Marriott does not. If your boat is stored at a Marriott, and you slept on it for 75 nights, maybe they'll give you the credit, just kidding .  You may be out of luck here, sorry.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Elite statuses are achieved by earning 10, 50, and 75 Elite nights for Silver, Gold, and Platinum, respectively.  You earn Elite nights for your own personal room when staying in the hotels as well as having a Marriott Rewards Visa card.  One can also earn Elite nights for holding events/meetings at qualifying Marriott brands.

In the case of having your boat docked in a Marriott space, unfortunately there isn't a way to earn Elite nights at this time.  While I can't promise anything, you may want to speak to the hotel that oversees the dock and ask if there is anything that they can do on your behalf.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...