14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2012 11:04 PM by razorbackfan RSS

Central Florida Vacation

rsflady Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am traveling next week to Central Florida. I am planning a stay in Orlando with day trips to St. Augustine, NASA Space Center and a trip to the beach. However, I am interested in other things to do in Orlando that are not simply Disney, Sea World and the big parks. We will do some of those too but what would be interesting other than that to an 8 - 5 yr old girls. Any thoughts? What about getting discount tickets? Any ideas?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Orlando, Florida, USA
Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center
  • Re: Central Florida Vacation
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

As far as I know Disney does not discount except at a local AAA office.  If you are a member you can save a few dollars.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

My husband and I just spent a week in the Orlando area.  In addition to the time we spent at Disney, we enjoyed a morning at Gatorland.  I'll be writing a review and posting some pictures soon.  We also took a sidetrip to Manatee Cove on Merritt Island. It is located on the way to Cocoa Beach.  The cove was full of manatees, however, they were too far away to get good pictures.  We also took a trip to Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge; however, I doubt that the girls would really enjoy that.

Time is short, but you could sign up for Mousesavers.com.  They send out a monthly newsletter with loads of information about Disney.

You can pick-up flyers/magazines at grocery stores, convenience stores, etc. with discounts to all sorts of stuff (restaurants, miniature golf, etc.).

I was able to buy discounted Disney tickets online through AAA.  We printed a voucher that we exchanged for tickets at will call.

I tried to get Disney tickets on line but could not find a way so I called and was told that they don't ship them so would not sell them to me excpet in person.  How did you get then?

I was able to buy a voucher through the AAA website.  We exchanged the voucher for the real ticket at a will call window when we got to Epcot.  When we buy through AAA we get a parking pass that enables you to park pretty close to the enctrance of all 4 parks.  Parking is $14 a day.  We had tried to buy the tickets at the AAA office near the Galleria in Houston when we were there but they told us only the offices in the Disney area actually sell the tickets.

Razorbackfan,

I bought my last pass at the AAA office and did not get the parking.  I know what you are saying, it is closer.  I might give them a call before I return.  They also would not mail anything to me.  If you have contact info, I would appreciate it.

cal, all I did was go through the AAA website.  I printed the voucher which I exchanged for the tickets at a will call window and got an email with the parking voucher as an attachment.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

rsflady:

Disney also has water parks that the kids seem to really enjoy. They are not part of the Disney Theme Park program and require a specific ticket to the water park for entry. They can be purchased as part of an overall Disney package but the water park tix are an addition. I know my nieces and nephews absolutely rave about the tidal waves and beach waves and the water slides they have at these parks. They just HAVE to go there as part of an Orlando adventure.

There are discounts that can be had from the hotel concierges at certain Marriott properties in Orlando. The properties in the Marriott Village in Lake Buena Vista are some of the places where you can get discounted tix. Check the hotel web site and it will tell you if they are a Disney discounter for tix.

For other things we could recommend, what do your youngsters like to do?

Happy Travels!

Last month Cypress Harbor sold them but did nopt discount them!

Not all the properties sell them at a discount. The hotels that are 'partnered' with Disney do. The hotels state that on their hotel web page if they are a Disney partner.

The 'official' language is they are an 'Official Walt Disney World Good Neighbor Hotel' and as such offer discount packages and shuttle transportation to and from the parks.

Thanks.  It helps to know what to look for.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

rslady,

You may want to consider the reasonably priced and centrally located FF in Titusville.  You can get to NASA Space Center as well as Cocoa Beach very easily from Titusville.  IMG_1538.JPG

The property is very clean and well managed.

IMG_1143.JPG

Sonny's is a great place to dine, just down the street.  There is also a very nice Durango Steak House close by as well!

Location Brand Hotel
    Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center
    dionbro Platinum

Air boat rides are awesome  BTW...

My family had a reservation at the Harbour Lake Vacation Club in Orlando starting 6/29 for 4 nights.  I planned to use points for the stay and booked a studio for 120000 pts.  We arrived at 6pm Friday and went to check in.  I got to the desk and asked if upgrades were available.  The clerk told me that Vacation Clubs work differently and they do NOT upgrade.  I told him that I have stayed at the Newport Beach Villas, Sabal Palms and Royal Palms and I have been upgraded at each location.  He looked at me like I was an Idiot!!!  He again told me that at Harbour Lake, Upgrades are not allowed.  They put us in a Studio about the size of a cruise ship room on the side of a building with a street/wall view.  I called to ask if any other rooms were available to move to and they told me NO.  I called Platinum Customer Service and they tried for over an hour to pursuade the hotel to help and the hotel refused.  I immediately cancelled the reservation and moved to the Residence Inn Seaword which is across a field from Harbour Lake.  The Residence Inn upgraded us and is a great facility with free shuttle service to Seaworld.  We will never Think about staying that the Harbour Lakes facility ever again and we will also try and deter anyone from staying there as well.  I have never felt so unimportant as a Platinum Elite!

dion:

Unfortunately the associate at the Harbour Lakes location was correct in that complimentary upgrades are not offered at Vacation Club properties. What you considered to be an 'upgrade' at Newport Coast Villas, Royal Palms and Sabal Palms was not really an upgrade to a 2 bedroom villa because all they have at those locations are 2 bedroom villas. Harbour Lakes has studios, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom accomodations. You booked a studio and unfortunately during the busiest time of year in Orlando when the kids get out of school.

Here is the info regarding upgrades under 'ADDITIONAL PLATINUM AND GOLD MEMBERSHIP BENFITS' and see Item #6.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi

I'd really like it if they upgraded at the MVC villas also but I've never gotten one.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...