7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2012 7:45 PM by californian RSS

Only the minumum?

mob1052 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have noticed and been told by staff at the hotels that Marriott is changing the the program. I also discovered from staff member online and one hotel manager they are encouraged to just meet the minumum standards and not to over achieve. I find this quite distressing. I have been noticing the other companies are offering points as well and I have in several hotel choices. I have stayed with Marriott because of the details and feeling like I was recognized for being loyal. It is becoming more difficult for me to rationalize this decision. I train employees in the service industry and I would always encourage them to go above and beyond. This is appreciated by the customer and it will gain brand loyalty. I love my points but I can get those elsewhere. It is the WHOLE Marriott package.

BY the way the staff Marriott Pyramid in Albquerque is great. Hotel is not as new but staff definitely makes up for it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Only the minumum?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

From time to time these type of things come around. It would be hard to believe that any organization would have a directive to discourage over achievement. I've spent well over 500 nights in over 100 Marriott properties over the last five years. I've never heard or seen a Marriott employee that is familiar with this directive. Without naming names, can you share the hotels that you reference above that told you this was so?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Take a look at the communitymanager's response on this thread...

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/2783

Yes, very much so the minimum!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Marriott employees are never encouraged to do the minimum.  The comment made in the link provided by newhiltonmembr about not "over-achieving" is misunderstood. 

Marriott brand hotels have a set of standards that they have to meet for our valued Elite members.  As we all know, if a standard is set by Marriott, it's going to be a high standard. Asking hotels to adhere to those high standards is vastly different than asking them to lower standards or do the minimum.  The problem was that some hotels were doing more "above the standard" than others, and therefore creating inconsistencies from one hotel to the next.  The hotels that were adhering to the standards were not doing anything wrong, but it appeared to some that they were because what they were providing was less than what they got at the last hotel. 

mob1052 Platinum

I understand your point,but I appreciate those hotels that are going over the top. I also understand those that are meeting the standard. I am going to return more frequently at those hotels that take an extra step. I will say I was very disappointed in the location in the Orlando area. I contacted numerous hotels and discovered there were No benefits other than points at 90+ hotels or resorts in the area. It made me feel so unappreciated I chose to stay on Disney property instead.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I read this as I think the others do.  If hotels have inconsistencies, then instead of encouraging those below to move up, they encourage those who are offering more to us, to move down to the minimun that Marriott requires.  If I have a choice, which I usually do, I will take my business to a hotel that goes above.  I have things that I expect from a hotel and will stay at those that meet my expectations.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Californian

I can't wait for someone to attempt to put a positive spin on this thread.  Marriott has clearly explained that they have requested that properties go no further than supplying the standard of service that has been published.  They said that this was to ensure that us travelers will somehow be happier if we get the exact same treatment in all Marriott properties.  While the concept is understandable, it misses the mark with me.  I would much rather Marriott push those properties providing below the level of expectation upward and leave the over-achievers alone. 

At the risk of offending some folks, this policy seems eerily familiar to the 'fairness doctrine' coming out of washington these days......

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Shoeman,

I am with you.  What kind of business advisor would have Marriott taking away benefits from it's most loyal guests?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...