12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2012 2:45 PM by californian RSS

Recent trip to DC

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Left home via car for the two day drive to DC.  Combination work, pleasure, and civic duty.  Spent first night at RI in Dayton, just off of I-75 just south of I-70.  Clean, decent breakfast, staff weren't anything to brag about, but new GM seems motivated to get things into shape.  Spent next 5 nights at Fairview Park Marriott.  Upgraded to concierge level larger room with HUGE balcony...big enough for a party although I didn't have one.  Only 3 or 4 rooms in this hotel have balconies so I felt fortunate.  Got comp breakfast buffet on both weekend days, and the concierge lounge is decent both morning and evening.  Staff was the friendliest I ever remember them being.  Very nice stay in one of my favorite Marriotts.  Caught the hotel shuttle to the metro stop and rode the metro to DC for work.  Very convienent.  Oh, and no charge for parking at the Fairview Marriott.  When work was done, I took an afternoon to visit some wounded heroes at Bethesda Naval Hospital.  These heroes are doing things with their recovery that I don't know if I had the heart to do when I spent my time, twice, recovering.  I think I do them some good by giving them my thanks and listening to them and their plans for the future.  I come away from there every time inspired to look for opportunites to  do something good for somebody.  These guys and gals are amazing!  On my way to the hospital, I stopped off for a pre-arranged meeting at Marriott HQ with michellel, Andy, and their big cheese, Rick.  All very cool, and very real folks.  Great visit, and I'm convinced that they do their job for us!  They were extremely hospitable, and it was my great pleasure to meet each of them!  Left DC and spent two nights at the FFI RDU Brier Creek.  Great hotel.  Still kind of new I think.  At least it has that feel both physically and from the staff.  Upgraded to a very nice two room suite.  Nicely furnished, modern look, comfortable bed...all in all very  nice stay.  Last night on the road was at the Marriott BNA.  Again, comp breakfast buffett for wife and I.  I think it's one of the best furnished buffets I seen.  And we also ate supper in the dining room...their Marriott burger lived up to my very high hamburger expectations.  Good to be home in my own bed toight, but we saw a lot of our great country...what a beautiful place.  Probably even passed thru where some insiders live.  Lucky folks to be able to call such beautiful landscape home.  No more trips for a while.  Like our friend steppingstones, I will be undergoing eye surgery over the next month or two.  Home sounds like a nice place to recouperate.  Happy travels to everyone.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, D.C., USA
  • Re: Recent trip to DC
    Marriott Associate Member

We had a great time with you too, Nu!  Thanks for coming around to visit us at Corp HQ - what a great opportunity to have a face-to-face meeting and spend time with a devoted Insider.  Good luck on your eyeball adventures - I've been through it too and have come out the other side just as feisty as ever!  All the best to you and yours this summer!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

NU,

That was a great report!

Thanks for doing so much reporting and civic duty.  Will be headed you way soon and will look forward to a personal visit!

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes.  Although not routine surgery in my opinion, I'm ready to get it on so I can see my golf ball again.  And if you have a little spare time on your hands, pay a quick visit to your local VA hospital...it doesn't have to be Bethesda or Walter Reed.  Those folks there welcome conversation and visitors.  Doesn't have to be anything special.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Great idea, NU.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Great write up Husker. That Fairview Park Marriott is somewhat of a hidden treasure. I've spent at least 30 nights there over the years and have always been treated great, no matter what level of MR. Thanks for stopping at Bethesda, I'm sure the folks there are happier for the visit.

By the way, if you get back to the area, about 13 miles northwest of Bethesda is Gaithersburg. Marriott has 3 or 4 properties at the Washingtonian Center. All are very nice and the complex is a beautiful setting.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Nuhusker,

I wanted to add my thanks for your trip, your visit to our recovering troops, and your report about your trip to Marriott.  This sounds like a trip I would love to go on too.  May have to try it some day!!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Husker:

Thanks for the report and the time you took to visit our wounded! I am sure they were very thankful of you taking time from your schedule to be with them. Best of luck with the eye surgery! We'll be thinking of you! Enjoy your time at home and the (hopefully) good summer weather!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Husker, what he said!

jep2020 Gold 1 Reviews

Husker

very nice. Your time with the vets makes all of the MR/Plat problems pail.

Thanks

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Now I know why you couldn't get to a game at the CWS.  But I'm sure your visit with the wounded warriors was a much more rewarding experience.  They face so many challenges when they return home.  Thank you for taking the time to visit them.  These heroes have given so much for our country.

It must have been fun to visit with Michelle, Andy, and Rick.

I hope your eye surgery is successful and you recuperate quickly so that you will be ready for football season.

Thank you for the hotel reviews.

We have been watching most of the CWS games.  But there's been a split ticket in our house.  Mrs is pulling for SC (she's from Charleston), and I was pulling for Arkansas because I know a real razorbackfan!  We had a really good trip.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Your write up gave me some ideas for future travel.  I, too, want to thank you for visiting the wounded warriors.  That was a very nice thing to do.  I, too, hope your eyeballs are all healed soon.  Hope you will be able to continue contributing to MI.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...