21 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2012 8:58 PM by tef6178 RSS

What is everyone's favorite summertime city?

kchandler Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Summertime is a nostalgic time that creates memories we take with us throughout our lives.  What city does everyone else love to spend their valuable summertime?  For our family, we don't think summertime in Stockholm can be beat.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Stockholm, Sweden
  • Re: What is everyone's favorite summertime city?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

KC,

Tough question... many many great experiences in summer....

I'll try a few and see if I can get it down to one. Food is big deal for our group ..

We love Chicago. The planners did such a great job of setting up the Lake, then Park, then Cityscape. First class Museums, the Buckingham Fountain, skyscrapers... Great fun for kids and adults.

New Orleans... can be sweltering, but this is one truly unique city. Music lovers can walk 4 blocks and pop in many venues to hear some of the best around.

Boston.. all the beautiful people come out in the summer. Not a city I like in the winter, but could stay from June thru August, any time.

Washington DC... include Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria and you have fun fun fun..

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kchandler Silver

We have a few friends that have just returned from Chicago and couldn't stop talking about how great it is in the summer.  I think anywhere you can take the family to a good baseball game is a huge plus.

Marriott Associate Member

Oh how we have loved Cape Cod throughout the years!  A great family place with so many water experiences (coves for the little ones and ocean wave thrills when they get older!).  And, since so much of my professional life revolves around hotel stays, I relish a rental house just to really 'get away' from my day-to-day grind.  So spoiled, I know...

That Cape Cod water temp can grow hair on a rock..brrrrrr. Beside the frigid water temps, it's a great location..summer or fall.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Key West,

Give me that "Cheeseburger in Paradise"!

The Summer Breeze makes this place a wonderful place for NON-Families.  Food is good and you can really walk anywhere and just relax!

Jimmy Buffets.JPG

Jimmy Buffet's on Duval, is well worth a visit!  You do get a lot for your time and money!

FH000006.jpg

People enjoy a chance to deep sea fish and relax.

IMG_0660.JPG

Hog's Breath Inn, a lot of fun for all!

IMG_0596.JPG

Happy and professional staff at The CY, Key West!

This is just one person's opinion, but I have really enjoyed Key West!

I'm surprised more people didn't respond to kc's question..... This is a thread I'd love to hear more about from the Mar.Ins. travelers out there.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Sorry, I just noticed this question, and my answer is about 2 weeks overdue now, but Summer in Nebraska really kicks off with the College World Series in Omaha!  And plenty of Marriott options...New FFI across the street from TD Ameritrade Ball Park and the Old Market CY, both within walking distance.  Another FFI and a SHS in Council Bluffs about a 5 min drive across the river.  Another CY at the old AKSARBEN race track area, a full service Marriott and a relatively new CY in west Omaha about a 15 min drive to the stadium area.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I sure hope I can plan a trip to Omaha next summer.  I think I will make reservations at one of the Marriott properties Nuhusker mentioned, then just keep my fingers crossed that the Razorbacks return to the College World Series.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I live in California's Central Valley, where the average high temperature in July is 97, and the low's can be in the mid/high 70's..  To escape the heat, I love heading to San Francisco or up to Seattle, Puget Sound, and Victoria/Vancouver B.C.  Newport Coast also can't be beat.

Another favorite family "hot spot" (pardon the pun) does not involve hotels:  our family vacation home on the Colorado River in Arizona, or Houseboating on Lake Powell in Utah.  It gets pretty hot at these places, but the family time, water recreation, and canyon/desert scenery makes for lots of fun, fun, fun under the Summer sun.

kchandler Silver

Lake Powell is a place that should be seen by everyone.  One of the truly unique places anywhere on this planet.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Just noticed this post. Glad I saw it! It's a great question.

Summertime always means a trip to NYC for us. Usually in August or late July. Love going to our fav restaurants and seeing Broadway shows when we don't freeze. A great city to visit in the warmth of summer.....forget it in winter. But, not this year.

Schedule change for this year....and a lot of fun places that are all favorites of mine and a newbie. We go to Newport, RI in mid August after a wedding in Lincoln, RI. Then, a quick flight to Nantucket where we will enjoy the island for about a week (no Marriotts there).

Late August comes Anaheim, San Francisco and a new city I've never been to......Seattle. Will take in most of the Red Sox games since I booked the time when they were on a road trip to these places! I hope the Seattle waterfront hotel is all it's been cracked up to be! Then, after a short trip home to Florida we return to CA and Palm Desert in late Sept. and that will close out the 'summertime of fun'!

Then, it's on to football and my Patriots in Miami!

kchandler Silver

Unfortunately our family hasn't done too much on the East Coast.  San Francisco is on our itinerary this summer as well, but for us it's to see a Giants game.

Tef, I'm sure it's just a "co-ink-i-dink" that the Red Sox will be in Anaheim, SF, and Seattle around the time of your west coast trip.

Wow! I had no idea...................Go Sox!

Alright pluto......

I guess I did sort of have that Red Sox west coast swing in mind when I was looking to book the trip......and I think the Red Sox schedule listed with the trip dates sitting on my desk at home might have influenced the decision by my 'better half' to say 'NOT A CHANCE' when I asked her if she wanted to come with me. She IS coming with me when we make a second trip into California and Palm Desert in September though! I did the same west coast swing trip to see the games last year (except Seattle) and this year decided to extend the trip up there as I really have never been to Seattle and am looking forward to my first visit there....really!

I feel pretty dumb since having re-read your original post, which clearly stated you were going to be taking in these games.  I either didn't read carefully or else forgot.  (perhaps need to eat more fish and consider taking some Ginko Biloba?).  I've been reading some fb posts by family members who have been enjoying time at Angel's Stadium this summer, and it has me pining for some MLB (triple A ball just doesn't quite do it for me.)  Maybe I'll drag my dad to a game while at Newport Coast this year.  Been to Safeco Field (get used to hearing "Ichiro!")  It was a lot of fun, even though we sat up in the stratosphere.

Pluto:

You won't be hearing that "Ichiro" chant at Safeco anymore unless he's there with the Yankees! The Angels Stadium is really one of the better ballparks in the MLB scheme to see a game. I enjoy watching games there...even though it doesn't have the 'pizzazz' of that shrine in Boston....Fenway PAHK.

I did not see that one coming.  Thought he'd finish out as a Mariner.  Guess he must want a championship real bad.

pluto:

I would guess you are spot on with him wanting the championship. The story was 'couched' as Ichiro wanting the team to trade him for the benefit of the team so they could 'stock up' on draft choices, but, since he's a 10/5 guy he has 'veto' power as to WHO he can be traded to. I guess the Yankees were his 'list'. I don't blame him, he seems to be a class player and he's given all he had to a team that hasn't been a playoff team forever (or so it seems). Good luck to him.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I don't think I could pick a favorite city because we have been so fortunate to travel to so many interesting places on our summer trips.  This summer I would have to say that my favorite city has been Calgary.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...