3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2012 12:19 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Has anyone stayed at Wentworth by the Sea (Portsmouth NH) recently

keb Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi everyone -- wondered if anyone has stayed at Wentworth -- I went on Yelp (and other travel sites) and it has gotten some pretty spotty reviews.  Trying to plan a 50th birthday vacation for our family (of 6) and want it to be special.  We plan to stay at a Marriott resort within driving distance of Metro NYC (I am using some GCs) but if this property is sub-par, I'd rather change it up (we plan to leave a week from today.)  Any advice would be much appreciated as I want to make this a special trip!  Thanks! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA
New Castle, New Hampshire, USA
New Hampshire, USA
  • Re: Has anyone stayed at Wentworth by the Sea (Portsmouth NH) recently
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Have not been there recently, but its a lovely hotel with much history.  Most folks that grew up in Maine and New Hampshire have fond memories of it, and great stories to tell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wentworth_by_the_Sea

I did look at trip advisor, and most folks liked it. Most complaints were when folks ended up in a room they didn't like.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46174-d268448-Reviews-Wentworth_by_the_Sea_A_Marriott_Hotel_Spa-New_Castle_New_Hampshire.html

When I am planning to use a property that I have conerns about, I try to arrive early, make sure I get a room I want, try out the restaurant to make sure I like the food, and if not checkout quickly and use plan B.  There are several other Marriott's close by.  I like to hold a 2nd reservation, and then cancel it if I don't need it by 6pm.  Most of the other properties are not so grand.

If you want something on par with Wentworth by the Sea (cause they don't live up to expectations as mentioned in some reviews) try Cliff House in Kittery Maine which is a short drive north.

http://www.cliffhousemaine.com/

Even if you are happy at Wentworth by the Sea, and just want an excursion, you might want to go outlet shopping in Kittery, and stop by Cliff House for lunch. They also have an exception Sunday brunch.  Locals swear by their clam chowder.

Also make sure to spend time in Portsmouth as it has great shops and restaurants, and if you want to stock up your wine cellar, try the NH Liquor Control at the last exit before Maine.  It has a great selection and great pricing.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA
    New Castle, New Hampshire, USA
    New Hampshire, USA
  • Re: Has anyone stayed at Wentworth by the Sea (Portsmouth NH) recently
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

kep,

This property is not "Sub-par"!  It is really a special place and I spent a Christmas there that was unforgettable.  The upgraded me to a suite and all was great.

Here are a few photo's of the memorable experience.  One thing that was really nice is the free shuttle to/from town.  The staff was wonderful!

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

IMG_1299.JPG

Ben, The Dining Manager, was a real pro and had a wonderful dining room to enjoy great food.

Have a great trip!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...