31 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2012 8:30 AM by GemPrincess RSS

Rewards

harlanhighsmi Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I tried to sign up for the 2  stays receiving a free night after the two nights and it put me into some other rewards' program.  How do I sign off for the other one?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rewards
    lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I don't believe you can be in 2 major promotions at the same time, especially whene they are part o the same marketing promotion (Summer Bonus).

Message was edited by: lone6star Sorry, had some typo's.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I'm in 2 promotions....not certain if they are same type though...started at different times....end at different times...different brands....overlap for June/Jul

• Summer Promo Free Night Category 1-4 which I always have problems using as most properties I use are 5 and higher.  I now have 2.  Not certain what I will do with them yet
      • 2 nights at Springhill Suites for 5000 points.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Gem,

My summer promo is that I get 5,000 points for every weekend stay over a Friday or Saturday at any Marriott.  I am also in the Fairfield promo for points staying, and I believe if I stay at a Fairfield over the weekend, I will get the points for both.

Interesting!  Different promos than I have.  I will need to see if those are inmy list as well

I think you can call and ask for a change from points to nights, or the other way.  I may call and ask for nights, since we have some good Cat 4's that we like to use in the area.

Can you recommend Cat 4's as I am looking where to go to use my certificates I have earned this summer.  Also, I am in 2 programs, one for points and one for nights.

jimaruba Gold 1 Reviews

I was also wondering if you could "double dip".  I signed up for  two promotions. (1) 5000 points for two stays at Fairfield Inn & Suites and (2) Summer Bonus Promotion (2 stays in June-August get 1 free night---has a one year expiration period that is longer than prior promotions!

I recently stayed for my 2nd night at the FI&S and was credited 5000 points. I also received my 1st stay credit for the Summer Bonus Promotion-- my first night at FI&S was in May before the Summer Bonus started.

I am in 2 promotions, but not double dipping.

• 1st one was Springhill Suites (SHS), after 2 stays I get 5000 points
        • 2nd one is the stay 2 nites during the summer and get a free 1-4 cat hotel nite stay.  None of the Springhill Suites stays count toward this.

So far, I have 1 SHS stay in May, and need a 2nd by July to get 5000 points

Four Marriott stays, so 2 certificates.  If I make 2 more stay [not counting SHS] I will get 1 more certificate which is the max for the summer.

when i switched from the weekend Summer Bonus to the 40k Summer Bonus, I asked if i could also be in another promotion at the same time, and the MR rep said no!  So maybe you fell throught the cracks somehow?!  I am happy, as I already am 40 percent of the way to meeting the Promo.

since I don't travel as much as I use to, I tend not to pay too much attention.  So I may have missed it.

I'm pretty sure I've done that before and had no problem.  Also, if they didn't, they'd have to spend a lot of time contacting people on each stay about which program you wanted to use that stay towards.  It pays to make your stays fit into both deals when you can.

Well, I will find out at the end of july when I stay at the SHS and see if I get credit for both.  The SHS promo started first, so when I stayed there in May, the Summer Cat 1-4 hadn't started [that was in Jun]

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

Do you see this promotion in your Marriott Promotion Central section? You can try contacting Marriott Rewards and ask them to switch you to the promotion you mentioned. As long as it's not a "targeted" promotion, they should be able to make the change for you. But like lone6star said, don't expect to take advantage of both promotions. It's usually one or the other.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

harlan:

My thought would be that when you clicked on the promo you wanted it took you to a page that had the promo that Marriott assigned to you. What you can do is call them and ask to be put into the promotion you want. At the same time...ask if you can be in both because there are multiple promotions going on during these summer months. I had a Fairfield Inn promo and the Marriott Summer promo.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

For the most part, Rewards members are able to participate in more than one promotion at a time.  Keep in mind that there are usually multiple offers within any given promotion.  You are only able to earn one offer within the same promotion.  Example: As mentioned above, The Summer Global promotion has different offers.  You wouldn't be able to take advantage of the "Earn a free night for every second paid stay" in addition to the "Earn 5,000 for weekend stays" at the same time because they're both offers from the same Summer Global promotion. However, as a couple of you have described above, you're signed up for both the Summer Global promotion AND a particular "brand" promotion. That is perfectly fine.

One example I can think of where someone couldn't participate in multiple promotions at the same time is if one promotion is for point-earners and the other is for miles-earners.  Another example, although rare, would be if you're a Marriott Rewards member and Ritz-Carlton Rewards is running a promotion this is exclusive to Ritz-Carlton Rewards members.  This may happen from time to time, but the promotions are usually interchangeable between programs.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Well, they made it pretty easy for me...I was offered only one promo for this summer...5K points (max 15K points) for each stay at any of the Marriott family brands.

I originally had the weekend Summer Bonus promotion.  When Californian told me that I could call up CS and switch to the stay 25 nights and earn 40k points, I did so and switched.  At the same time, I asked the CS Rep if I could be in more than one Summer Bonus promo at the same time, and she replied "no".  So if I call up now, and mention what you say, who will be right?  The 40k promotion is perfect for me, but if I could also be in the promo, that earns you a free night, for every 1 or 2 stays, I would like that as well!   I already have 2 stays so far in June 2012.

I am signed up for both the SHS stay 2 nites and get 5000 points,and Summer Global promotion.  Both are earning rewards, but I am not certain if would be on the same stay, as the SHS started 1 month earlier, and my SHS stay was before Summer Global promotion.  Hotels since this started have not been SHS.  i do have a SHS stay planned in July while both promos are in effect so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I hope you are truly able to take advantage of both.  Let us know what happens.

Off to MI this weekend, so it will be either the CY or FS.

In 2 weeks will be at the SHS, and will see what happens.

p.s. this will get me my 3rd Summer Promotion Cat 1-4 certificate.  Still need to dream up a way I will use these!

Lucky you!

erc Platinum

Gem

If you can't find any other good ways for your 1-4 Cat. certificates; then what I like to do, is use them for arrival/departure comfort zones. There are some very nice 3's and 4's near airports (most with complimentary shuttles). For example, I have a trip to Chicago and in order to get a better airfare, I fly out on a Monday rather than the more expensive Sunday. I stay at the O'Hare Marriott Suites (the Spring Hill and Renaissance Suites both qualify and are equally pleasant). I've done this in several cities and had an easier and less expensive travel, something to consider if you have the extra day either prior or after your actual trip.

Erc,

Great suggestion!

How do I find out more about these comfort zones.?

erc Platinum

Type in the three letter airport code in Marriott web site reservation box. Here's a few in the US to get you started, all with free transportation;

Renaissance - LAX - L.A. (last time I was there a few months back, still had CL opened on weekends)

Renaissance - PHL - philly

Marriott - ATL - atlanta (no shuttle, but free, very quick train/tram)

Marriott - DFW - Dallas

Residence Inn - PHX - Phoenix

Residence Inn - DCA - Reagan Wash. DC (Pentagon City)

Marriott or Marriott Suites - IAD - Dulles Wash. DC

And so on, and so on. Enjoy

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

erc

what a great tip!  never knew about this.....

thanks

This is great!  Maybe you can start a new discussion on this, or create a PDF document showing all of the US Locations?

erc Platinum

Being one step below the Amish when it comes to technology, that's beyond my skill level Lone6star, but I'm sure Jasper or Pained Platinum or some of the other pros could do something like that. Of course you know, we'll start trending airports and Mother Marriott will raise them to 5's next year so let's enjoy while we can.

Interesting!

Being a lazy typer, I have always used airport codes, e.g. DTW instead of Detroit, or EWR instead of Newark

but never understood the implications.

Do I need to enter the Marriott Brand like you have listed above?

erc Platinum

No need to type brand - just take a look at the first four or five brands that come up (based on proximity to airport) and pick the one you prefer, after confirming it's a Cat 4 or lower. This strategy is also very useful when trying to line up free airline tickets with points - sometimes it's worth leaving a night earlier or staying a morning later in order to get one of the 'rare' (nowadays) point saver tickets.

for airline tickets I usually select the option +- 3 days to see the range

I also select the optoni to look at multiple airports, especially in NYC area as there are really 4 that can be used if you include PHL, as you can get to all [EWR, JFK, LGA, PHL] by train easily

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...