11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2012 4:53 PM by chrisf RSS

Scotland

jag8386 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone stayed at a Marriott in Scotland ? We are currently booked at the Marriott Dalmahoy but are thinking of moving to the Marriott

Residence Inn Edinburgh
We only have 1 night there. Dalmahoy looks amazing, but the Residence Inn looks nice and appears closer to the sites.

Any insight would be appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Edinburgh, Scotland
  • Re: Scotland
    chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Hi jag

We've stayed at the Dalmahoy many times and have always enjoyed it.  However, you are correct, it is a fair way out of the centre of Edinburgh ... it's about 9 miles or 20 minutes from there to Edinburgh Castle in a cab with good traffic.  The Residence Inn is reasonably central and you could walk to the castle in about 15 mins ... it's about three quarters of a mile.  There's an interesting historic pub on the walk ...

The Greyfriars Bobbys Bar in Candlemaker Row Edinburgh - Home

I've not stayed at the RI as I think that it is fairly new.  The main shopping area is Princes Street which is on the other side of the castle.  There are many nice restaurants in Edinburgh ... if you give us an idea of your likes, I or others may be able to give you some suggestions.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Another trip for the to do list. Unfortunately I missed Edinburgh on the last trip as we spent our time on the Isle of Aran.

Aran is very scenic but I think that Edinburgh has much more of historic interest in a compact area.  We have been back many times.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Agree!

We were just trying to find cool weather when there was no a/c during a heat wave.  Aran was the first island.  We took the train to Glasgow, then the ferry to Aran, and stayed until till it cooled off a bit and headed to Denmark to visit college friends.

jag8386 Silver 17 Reviews

Thank you. As awesome as the Dalmahoy looks we decided to move to the RI, I think closer to the sightseing is going to be better.

Thank you for the tip on the pub that's right up our alley. A good restaurant recomendation in the area would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has a tip on a resonably priced kilt shop. Were going to a wedding and we want to purchase my husband a kilt from his clan to wear. Everything I see online is pricey ???

jag ... how was your time in Scotland and what did you think of the Marriott?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...