23 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2015 5:44 PM by 702rugbyref RSS

Las Vegas Grand Chateau

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just returned from a week in Vegas. Since I brought my family with me on a business trip, this was the perfect place to check into because we needed space and I didn't want to pay for two hotel rooms.

This Vacation Club property is a worthwhile destination. The "villas" are spacious and modern, but definitely lack an upscale look and feel. The decor is typical of just about every other Vacation Club property out there in a city where opulence and style take center stage. One area that surely was lacking were the bathrooms. Even though they had the usual Jacuzzi, the decor of the bathrooms were extremely ordinary, even plain. One would expect classy wallpaper but this property had painted knock-down walls. One great thing about the bathroom was the shower, which had two heads mounted on opposing walls with lots and lots of pressure.

The living room and kitchen area were fine, if not a bit tight. But the most shocking aspect was the rooftop pool, which was tiny - and I mean small, really small. While it's true that the architects had limited space to work with, they could have done a lot better job with what they have.

Parking is free but through valet, so waiting up to 15 minutes at peak times is not unusual.

It's located on Harmon, one block off of the strip by the new City Center, so that translates into a phenomenal location.

The staff were great and the front /concierge desks were excellent and friendly.

My stay was very comfortable and I got a good rate, but I was extremely disappointed that they placed me on the 6th floor, in a building that had over 30. Once again my Platinum status meant nothing. Every time I got into the elevator and someone pushed a high floor, I meekly pressed 6.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's Grand Chateau
  • Re: Las Vegas Grand Chateau
    chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

That's a very useful summary, mikiegfla.  We were in Vegas a couple of years back and were unable to get into Grand Chateau.  My wife wanted to know what we had missed ... I looked it up on the website but first hand knowledge is much more helpful.  It sounds like we didn't miss out too much.

Unfortunately, my wife was not too impressed with LV so no return trips are planned.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

garywhalen Platinum 2 Reviews

Thanks for a detailed review, mickie.  My wife and I are going to Vegas later this year.  I've stayed at the Cosmopolitan (fancy, strange, and dull all at once), at the Marriott near the convention center (basic Marriott, clean, no frills) and at The Venetian (awesome).  I figured this time I'd try the Chateau since they have some low rates currently. 

Interestingly, neither of us gamble and neither of us are interested in any of the typical Las Vegas shows but we like to stroll about, people watch, and soak up the latest bit of gaudy opulence.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Yes,

Thank-you for the review!

Am trying to decide if I want to go to the Grand Canyon and want to depart from LV or Phoenix.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Jerry,

The best viewing of the Grand Canyon is from the South Rim which is about a 3 hr drive from Phoenix or 8 hrs from Vegas.

californian,

Thanks so much,

I will do Phoenix, and get to Sedona first!

Jerry,

On the way to Sedona you can stop at Montezoma's Castle for a nice stop and spend an hour or so.  Sedona is really a nice place to stop at or spend a few nights.  There is no Marriott there so I use the Hyatt which has an excellent location.  From Sedona it is not that far to the GC.  There are many other National Parks in the area depending on your time schedule; like Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater, Painted Desert, etc.

THat's useful info for us too, Cali. I'll check out if any of those National Parks are on our route for next year.

JUst had a quick look. We are driving across on the I-40 and spending time in Gran Canyon Village and Sedona, so should be doable.  Thanks for the info.

One way to do it is to stay in Sedona and do day trips to various sites.  That way you have comfortable lodging and don't have to pack and unpack, but you have to drive more miles.  Another site for a day trip from Sedona is the Meteor crater.  They give a tour and it was more interesting than I expected.  Once you are there, you are almost at the Petrified Forest and than close to the Painted Desert.  Walnut Canyon is about an hours drive form Sedona and the Sunset Crater is a couple of hours but once you are there there is another right next to it with ruins.  These can be on the way to the GC.  Did I make you tired?

... and we thought that we were going to have a relaxing holiday!    Seriously, like you Cal, we love the National Parks ... We did the Smokey Mountain NP last year.  I've now had a closer look at the NPs that you listed.  We are heading for the Grand Canyon first and staying there for 3 nights, so I think that we could do Sunset Crater on our way down to Sedona.  From Sedona, we could do as you suggest and have a day at Walnut Canyon ... We are staying there for 2 nights.  When we leave Sedona, we are heading to Santa Fe on the I-40 so could detour to the Petrified Forest NP on our way.  (Is the Painted Desert part of this NP?). We will have to make an early start from Sedona as it looks like Santa Fe is quite a long way.

chrisf,

This is good information!

Planning to do something very similar in January.

Sedona would be cold in January.  I was there once in late April and ran into a really big snow storm.

Cal,  I was expecting it to be pretty hot in April ... That's when we shall be there next year.

Grand Canyon -       April - average high 52 and low 28

Sedona -                 April - average high 74 and low 44.  Since I had cold and snow, it was cold that year which means that it could be hot.  As you can see Sedona is warmer than the GC.  When it did snow, it didn't stay but was cold for me that trip.

Keep in mind that I don't like cold so what bothers me, might be fine for you.

THanks for advice Cal.  We will have some cold weather gear with us as we will be walking on mountains/glaciers in New Zealand before we get to the USA.  Should be an amazing trip.

It should be good.  For weather, as I said, expect the unexpected and you should be fine.  With luck, it will be perfect.  Make sure that you report back.

Sedona, was mild for me this January.

I would watch the weather reports.

One place that was really helpful was their very fine "Visitor Center" downtown.  It was classy and so helpful.  After getting checked in, this would be my first stop!

I think the Sedona weather is unpredictable.  I was there in February and it was cold. 

The Painted Desert is a separate NP.  It will not be too time consuming to see both the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest but you are right Santa Fe will be a long drive.  The drive from Sedona to Santa Fe is about 6 1/2 hr. and the parks are on the way.

The Sunset Crater will only take an hour or 2 with short hikes.  Wupatk NP is adjacent to Sunset and has ruins which might interest you.  If you visit, you don't have to see each unless you choose.

You might be able to see the Sunset Crater and Wupatk and maybe Walnut Canyon on the same day.  Walnut Canyon has a lot of steps down and then back up.  Montezuma's Castle is worth seeing and is about an hour south of Sedona.  I could keep going since there is so much in that area but I think I have done enough.

I guess I am good at sending you all over.

californian,

Thanks!

Great information and "Will Do"!

I like national parks and make sure that I visit all that are close enough to do.  Once you research, you will find many in that area.  Once you do, I will try to answer any questions that you have,.

malou&ed Member

we owned one as well and did not find it impressive except the name Marriott...more timeshares and elegant ones have been built in Vegas and this Grand is not comparable anymore.

702rugbyref Platinum

Living here in Vegas, I have been wondering about this location. Cheers

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...