27 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2012 7:22 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Price Gouging?

noossab Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I am dissapointed at what amounts to price gouging by Marriott during high demand days. For example in Omaha next week: because of a baseball tournament in town the prices are sky high. $300 a night for Courtyard? Really? Doesn't being an loyal "elite" customer count for anything?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New Orleans Marriott
  • Re: Price Gouging?
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Do they have rooms for points?

I have the same problem when I go to NYC for Xmas or New Years....rooms are in the hundreds of dollars....closer to a thousand.

I used my points.

Very surprised that they would let me use them during the holidays.  And I booked 2 rooms so the whole family could join me. Would have cost thousands of dollars.  Picked up dinners from my hallal vendor around the corner, drinks from the bodega across the street, and we ate in the deserted concierge lounge which they kindly let us use.

A very memorable holiday for the family, and we spent very little.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Welcome to the Marriott Insiders, noossab.  Unfortunately, hotels usually do increase their rates during special events.  I don't imagine that Marriott is the only chain that does that.  Like Gem said, sometimes you can use points when the rates are skyhigh.  Occassionally, Marriott Rewards member have access to special rates, but in my experience they are not during special events. 

I was pleasantly surprised that they let you use points at holiday time.  Most places either have a black out time, or you have to pay extra points.

I have been watching rooms in New Orleans surrounding the Super Bowl week-end.  The only hotel that shows availability now is the Residence Inn Downtown Convention Center for the price of $5,190 a night.  With tax, the total is $5864.70!  It is an advance purchase rate with no refund if cancelled after 1 day.  No stays on points are available.

what dates would that be [sorry to say I don't know much about sporting events]

The Super Bowl is Sunday, February 3, 2013.  It falls right in the middle of Mardi Gras.

Well here is a rather unusal option but if you book a cruise out of New Orleans, you could either cruise first, and see the game when you return, or see the game and then cruise, or do a back to back and see the game between the two cruises.  Do you know what time the game is?

Jan 27 - Feb 3rd [arriving into port at 8 am]

Feb 3rd- Feb 10th [departing from port at 5pm]

you would be in New Orleans from 9 am till 4pm

inside cabin is $450, outside is $400, balcony is $700 [pp for the week]

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Super Bowls usually start at 6 PM EST.

So the cruise idea will not work.  Not unless one of the companies decides to overnite there.  Shows you how much I know about sports

Gem, I never would have thought of cruising during this time.  For someone who just wanted to be in New Orleans for a short time on the day of the game, this might work.  The port is not too far from the Superdome or the French Quarter. 

another option is stay in Baton Rouge.  Its only 90 minutes away.  Need to investigate transport options in between.  Another thought is the train, with a sleeper car where you arrive before the game, and depart after the game.  I was even checking the river boat options.  While we were in Malaga on a recent cruise, they were telling us that some of the cruise lines stayed docked a couple of days [usually its only 1 day] so passengers could enjoy special events that were hard to get rooms for.  So some lines may have a theme cruise, like super bowl where they are docked longer than normal for the game.  May even sell tickets as one of their excursions.  Your liable to get a better deal buying into someone else's group package.  Maybe Marriott should consider getting into a business like this.  They could use their properties in New Orleans, and surrounding cities by arranging transport for guests, and package with tickets as well.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Now that is lateral thinking! 

erc Platinum

Demand oriented pricing can be painful, that's for sure. The few rooms available (most hotels are already sold out) in DC for next year's inauguration start at $400 for a Fairfield Inn and $859 for the Marriott Metro. Unfortunately Noos, you hit town during the College World Series, so you're probably going to have a hard time even finding rooms for points.

another thought....what about trying to rent a place.  At those prices you probably could rent a place for about the same price, would accomodate multiple people so could split costs

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

What they are saying with this rate is they haven't set their rates yet and if someone is dumb enough to book this rate then thank you very much.....

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I guess you must have already booked it for that great price.  But if you hadn´t, I was just there in May close to the Jazz Fest.  When I first looked all the prices were sky high and no rewards available, once booked, no refund.  As it got closer, the prices started coming down.  A week before they were more than 50% off what they started at.  I drove there from Pensacola Beach and that took 3 1/2 hrs.  I stopped in Biloxi, about an hr from NO and the CY there was really cheap.  I stopped and talked to them and they were very nice.  How about Mississippi?  If not, look at nearby cities.  NO is high cost but surrounding cities are cheap.

Great idea!  One year when we were in New Orleans for T-day, my gf's husband had clients he had to visit in Miss. At first I was worried it would take too much time, but turns out it was only 1 hr away.

The CY is right across bron the beach.

We are planning on attending one weekend of Jazz Fest next year ... I guess that I'd better start looking for a 'refundable' booking now!?  I will then live in hope that the rates drop as you indicated.

The biggest were a week or two before my arrival date.  During the Jazz fest, everything costs more including parking which is high to start with.  Good luck.

We were last at Jazz Fest in 2006, the year after Katrina.  We managed to get a reasonable price at a Courtyard in Metairie (?).  After Jazz Fest we moved to a more central property on Canal Street as prices had dropped a bit.  I've just done a quick check and the Courtyard is once again a lot cheaper $169 vs $299 ... I guess that I know where we'll be staying!  It's just a bit of a pain because our favourite NO restaurant is in the French Quarter ... The Court of the Two Sisters ...

2006 family meal ...

DSC00290_edited-1.JPG

Location Brand Hotel
              New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New Orleans Marriott

Have not been back to New Orleans since Katrina.  Is everything restored?

I checked with locals and most is.  I drove around looking and did not see any.  I think what is not is in really bad neighborhoods.

I never made it out of the French Quarter.  Well I take that back, I did go up to the Garden District for Brunch at Commander's Palance, but that was about it.

I am glad the you have a place to stay.  Keep looking maybe others will open up.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Every hotel chain does that.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...