1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 19, 2012 8:17 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Vacationing in Nairobi Kenya in September, Is there Marriott in Nairobi, Kenya

rose_grand Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I will be in Nairobi, Kenya for 10 days in September. Is there a Marriott there? I have lots of points I would like to use here.

I checked all hotels and the familiar ones are Intecontinental and the Hilton.

Any ideas.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
East Africa
  • Re: Vacationing in Nairobi Kenya in September, Is there Marriott in Nairobi, Kenya
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
    Currently Being Moderated

Wow!

Really exciting!

Just had to look it up. Before Marriott existed in Indonesia, Malaysia Turkey, I used local hotels and they were really nice.  Its a bit of a risk as we know less about the property, but usually I have had a great experience that can not be found in American or European chain hotels.  I would definately have a plan B & Plan C.  In Malaysia I had actually tried to use the Hyatt as I had points with them.  I booked it with points, and when I got there, they would not honor the reward stay.  It was a beautiful place but far from town.  So luckily I had my back up list, and a phone, and called around.  Ended up staying at the Mandarin in downtown Kuala Lumpur which was fabulous.  In Fetiye, Turkey I booked an English hotel online figuring it would be better to be somewhere that would be speaking English.  When we got there it was a horrible hotel, not well maintained, no a/c, etc.  Right across the street was a beautiful Turkish hotel, all marble and glass at a fraction of the price. They even had a private sail boat and crew you could hire for $100/day.  In Bali, the local hotel, on the ocean, decorated with Balinese antiques was 1/10th the price of the Hyatt. Went down to the hyatt for a drink and to look around, and one drink was more than I was paying for dinner for 2 people.

TripAdvisor rankings are as follows:

#1 Fairview Hotel - most welcoming

#2 House of Waine - used by lots of folks pre/post safari...they like the local atmosphere and gettting away from the chain hotels

#3 Meltonia Luxury Suites - people use to traveling in Africa like that it is close to Nairobi, but quieter than the city which can be noisy

#4 Tribe - trendy, boutique hotel, called an oasis in Nairobi, yet very African, free breakfast, free minibar, roof deck bar, near UN and embassies

#5 Sankara Nairobi - African chic, rooftop swimming pool and restaurant, airport meet & greet, good security, 2 shopping centers near by

#6 Palacina - small boutique hotel, Friday nite jazz, decor combines colonial kenyan and zanibar, quiet and secure

Crown Plaza is #10

InterContinental is #23

Hilton is #26

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g294207-Nairobi-Hotels.html

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...