10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2012 11:36 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Suprise anniversary trip to watch a Mets & Yankees Game...

mom2kace Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I am wanting to suprise my husband with an anniversary trip to watch a mets game and a yankees game..I have never been to NY and have always wanted to go, so I don't really know where to stay.  Would like to stay some where that is convenient to both stadiums as well as tourist attractions.  Please give any suggestions.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, USA
  • Re: Suprise anniversary trip to watch a Mets & Yankees Game...
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Welcome to the Marriott Insiders, mom.  I think you will get lots of recommendations on where to stay, where to eat, and what to see in NYC.

We are watching the Yankees and Braves on TV right now and I just said I would like to go to a game in Yankee Stadium sometime.  I think that surprising your husband with a trip to New York City to see the Mets and the Yankees play is a wonderful idea. Maybe you could go when they play each other.

We spent a week during the Christmas holidays at the Courtyard New York Manhattan Times Square South based on a recommendation by jerrycoin and found the hotel to be perfect for us.  The rate was reasonable and we were close enough to walk to many of the attractions. A subway entrance is nearby.  The staff was very nice and professional during this busy time of year.  We enjoyed 3 Broadway plays while we were there and could walk to all of them.  We really enjoyed the boat tour around Manhattan.  A trip to the World Trade Center site is a must.  It was entertaining just to watch the crowds, too.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

You could stay in the city and pay big bucks and be near all of the attractiions, or stay closer to Yankee Stadium, and save cash.  Then allyou are is a subway ride away from the city.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

We always stay at the Marriott Eastside. A subway stop is two blocks up Lexington and the Grand Central station is only a few blocks south (an easy walk). The Eastside also is within easy walking of Broadway, Rockefeller Center, Central Park and is kind of a 'central' point for us to go to all.

The ride to the Stadiums on the subway is an easy ride from Grand Central to both Citi Field (Mets) and Yankee Stadium. Once you get on the subway to either place you do not change subways again. The drop-off point for Citi Field and Yankee Stadium are right at the Stadiums so it is easy to get back on the Subway to return to Grand Central.

If you walk two blocks over from Lexington (to 3rd Ave.) there are a lot of 'local' (and very good) restaurants for breakfast so you won't have to spend $40 to $50/person eating breakfast. The Eastside is also an easy walk to many good dinner restaurants.

Have fun! New York is a great city even though I'm a Red Sox fan.......

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

For a Birthday dinner, if you like steak, go to Smith and Wollensky's.  Having only been to Yankee Stadium once, for a day game, the evening was spent dining at S-W and it was really a great day.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Yes, that's a great place to go to.  Glad you had a great day as well!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

jerry:

I agree! Smith & Wollensky is THE place for steak...and...if you go to a Yankee or Mets game and get back to the city it's a great place for a cocktail and snack after the game. The S&W Grill (bar area) is a great hangout and gathering place after any event in the city. Open until 3AM and the bartenders have been there for years and years. We always go there late and enjoy visiting with the staff we have come to know over the years!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Thanks Tef,

One thing that really impressed me about the place is how genuine and nice the staff was.  I took family and teen-agers in there and there were so friendly to my family.  One time I was there the staff had football tickets, for a price, but I could not go, but they have always been wonderful to me and my guests.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...