21 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2012 5:09 PM by chrisf RSS

Great British Pubs

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Virtually every town/village/city in the UK has a local pub.  Pubs or, to give the full name - Public Houses, have been around for many years.  The oldest English pub still on its original site is called Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem ...www.triptojerusalem.com  ... it is carved into the rock beneath Nottingham Castle and shows the date 1189AD on its wall.  It is fairly touristy but is worth a visit.  The smallest pub is The Nutshell in Bury St Edmunds ... only 15ft by 7ft ... The Nutshell | Britain's Smallest Pub in Bury St Edmunds serving Ale since 1867

Pubs tend to be in close proximity to churches in the towns/villages ... must be something to do with needing a pint after a particularly poor sermon ...

True beers or 'ales' have been drunk in England since ... "a long time ago".  In the middle ages, the water supply was pretty unreliable so most people would drink ale instead of water.  (As ale was 'brewed', there was a chance that it was more reliable than water ... unless, of course, the inn keeper 'watered' his beer.)  Ale was drunk at all meals, including breakfast ... if the individuals were wealthy enough.  There is a group in the UK that has been in existence for about 40 years and is dedicated to the preservation of traditional ales and encourage production from independent breweries ... the CAMpaign for Real Ale, generally abbreviated to CAMRA.

Two suggestions:

If you are visiting the UK and would like some guidance on pubs around the area where you are staying, add your request to this post and we'll see what info/advice we can give.

OR

If you have found a great pub on a UK visit, please add some info to this post so that we can all share in your knowledge ... although I have visited many pubs, I am always finding new ones (that may have been there for centuries)!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Norwich, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Sprowston Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
London, England
  • Re: Great British Pubs
    johnaalex Platinum 1 Reviews

If you are in the Euston area of London (not far from the Renaissance at St Pancras) and you want to try some real and good food then I strongly recommend the Bree Louise 69 Coburg Street, Euston, London, NW1 2HH.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

chrisf,

I know I have shown this picture before, but the Concierge at County Hall Marriott and a number of taxi drivers have told me that the first thing they want to see in London is The Sherlock Homes Pub.  It is in front of the only home of Ben Franklin that is left in the world, and just South of Trafalgar Square.  You can walk from the hotel, about a mile away.

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

Upstairs is a room dedicated to Sherlock Holmes, his study!  You don't see this in every pub you go to!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Thanks Jerry!  I know that is something we'll want to see when we are there too.

Tryt, another pub worth a visit is Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese ... it's been around a long time.  There is a good write up on wikipedia ...Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's also a good summary on pubs.com ...Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, City of London, London EC4A 2BU - Pubs.com Passionate about Pubs

Chris,

I have already seen what a problem it is going to be, to fit in all we want to see in a few countries in 3 weeks.  It's a wonderful problem to have! Too many wonderful things to do!!

Tryt, when is it that you take your 3 week journey?

We are planning it for 2 years from this fall.  My wife will get her other knee replaced and be good to go by then.  We know we'll be going non-stop, but are slowly planning that out.  We hope to go on all points (along with a few free nights at Radisson Blu).  We've seen enough here to make sure we start trying to make point reservations about a year plus, in advance.

If you fancy a bit of British hospitality, let me know your dates closer to the time and we could meet up ... we live about 40 miles outside London and can be in the centre within an hour.  My wife is always happy to visit London ... we are normally there at least twice a month.

Chris,

We would be honored, and will do everything we can to try and meet you.  When we are in the UK, we would probably be in London and Whittlesey Peterborough areas.  We will definitely try to stay in touch as we get closer.  Thank you!

Yup, I agree with you Jerry, a very interesting pub.  I think that the beer selection was a little limited when I was last there, but the Sherlock Holmes collection was fascinating ... I think that the food was quite reasonable too ... but it was a while ago that I was there.

chris,

Here are some pictures of some of my favorite pubs in London.  Hope you enjoy and if you have been to some, please share your thoughts!

IMG_2208.JPG

Blackfriars Pub, by the Blackfriars Bridge, a fun place!

DSCN0021_0012.jpg

A short walk from Harrods, this place is a little difficult to find, but has great fish and chips, The Grenadier!

DSCN0035_0025.jpg

TT's Treehouse, is not far from The Tower of London, and is another nice Pub!

DSCN0036_0026.jpg

Not far from the entrance to The Tower of London, the name says it all!

FH040031.jpg

The Audley, just outside the JW, and close to the US Embassy, is my personal favorite!

Here are a few more great pubs in London!

FH040032.jpg

Nice pub across the street from Harrods!

FH030017.jpg

This is a great place for a nice glass of wine!  Just up the hill from Trafalgar Square.

Jerry, I'm beginning to wonder if your visits to the UK are really just to sample our pubs and wine bars!  The next time that you're over we'll have to try and make it to Le Terriors ... interesting food and wine ... near Charing Cross ...Terroirs Wine Bar & Restaurant

chris,

Sounds like a plan!  Hope some other MI can join us!  The Big Red Bus had a free walking tour to London Pubs, it was really fun!  The also had Jack The Ripper tour and others.  If you can see London for less money than them, let me know!

Yes, I really go to London and other cities to dine more than anything!  Here are a few more great places.

FH030001.jpg

A great way to see London.

IMG_0231.JPG

Colorful Pubs galore!

IMG_0260.JPG

The Albert is a nice Pub!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Great recommendation!

Will have to give it a go.

GP,

You would really enjoy the Audley, a lot of interesting people go there and its a great place to dine.

Jerry, my only reservation on a walking tour of London pubs is ... how many pubs can you visit before you can no longer keep walking?  I hope that you were on light beer!  The trouble that I have always found when doing a 'pub crawl' is that we generally find a pub that we like and then give up and stay put ... we generally only manage about 3-4 pubs.

Chisf,

It is not a long walk, but a fun one.

This is a very enjoyable experience.

Jerry ... it was more the 'quantity' of beer that was concerning me ... I can walk a long way but only when 'sober'.  We seem to have a pint in each pub when we do a 'crawl'.  Given the strength of some British beers, you can imagine that it is not long before we are 'crawling' ...

Chrisf,

I really don't care too much for beer, and the Pubs probably sponsor the "Walk".  It was very educational and informative to do the walk.  It started out at Piccadilly Circus and went thru Trafalgar to The Savoy area.  Wish I had taken some pictures!

Jerry, unfortunately, I do like the beer so I would have to limit consumption.  The walk does sound very interesting ... I'll see if one is on when I am next in London with one of my sons.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...