7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2014 1:14 PM by jbe12345 RSS

Using points for family/friends

pltnmprincess Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I like how easy it is to make a reservation using rewards points for myself, but when I use them for family and friends I must call Marriott rewards.  I would really appreciate being able to log into my account, make a reservation using points, and change the name on the reservation/certificate right there.  Right now I make the reservation in my name, then call reservations, they change the name on the reservation, then they transfer me to MR so they can reissue the certificate in the new name.  Any chance we can simplify this process so that it can be done online??

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Using points for family/friends
    chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

I'm 100% with you there pltnmprincess.  I find it quite a trial going through that process when booking something for the kids using my points.  It seems even more complicated when using part of a travel package for them, i.e. I want to use the air miles part and give one of my sons the week's accommodation.  Unfortunately, I can't see Marriott changing the process as it is probably a small part of the MR usage

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Princess,

They many times I've used points to "pay" for my family or friends, I've called the Platinum Line and they did everything in less than 5 minutes. One call and done.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Hi PP ... I think that we may have a USA / non-USA issue here.  We use a team based in Ireland ... they are extremely helpful, but the process seems pretty tortuous.  Any hints on easy routes through the process?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Chris,

I never gave that a thought...US/non US. I'm afraid I'll have to admit my ignorance as to streamlining the process over there.

Quite often, I am on the road and a computer not handy. I'll just call the Platinum line and those folks are like personal assistants. They quickly make or change any reservation I have in mind. They are the best way for me to set up a points stay in a family/friend name. 

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I just make them in my name, and add the other person's name to it.  Much easier :=)

johnl Marriott Associate Gold

Hi pltnmprincess,

GemPrincess has a good idea there.  The standard process is to call and book the reservation in the name of your friend/family, have your MR# added to the reservation, and then you'll be transferred to MR for the reward to be ordered.

jbe12345 Member

wow...I agree Marriott should make this easier to do right when we are making reservations online.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...