4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2008 9:34 AM by vjdantone RSS

Unique Dining

corptraveler Gold
Currently Being Moderated

We were referred to a local Puerto Rican restaurant on Tapia Ave. in San Juan.  La Casita Blanca was one of the most enjoyable experiences in nearly three years of travel to the island.  Genuine home cooking, and a gracious host.  Located in a seldom visited area of San Juan, it was safe ,and parking was available.  This is a local, local, local restaurant.

We were treated to  a welcoming cocktail followed by a translation of the dishes on the chalk board.  One great dish followed another until our host again treated us to an after dinner drink.  The meal was a terrific bargain, and delicious.

Check it out La Casita Blanca on Tapia.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Unique Dining
    vjdantone Platinum

I've never heard of this place in all my years going. Do you have a link? Also, what section of San Juan (condado, isle verde?)

thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

charanda1 Member
    You sound like an experienced visitor to PR.  My wife & 2 kids (13 & 20) are going to San Juan next week for 2 days prior to a cruise (then 2 days after as well).  Staying at the Marriott Stellaris.  Suggestions for our visit?  Is it easy to take a bus from the airport to the hotel and then to the ship, or is a taxi the best/safest bet?  Is a visit to Bacardi worth the trip?  How about meals at the hotel, or is it safe and worth while to wander around?  With a wife & 2 daughters, I must admit that I'm a bit over cautious, even for a New Yorker!  Thanks.

joeyrios Platinum
    i'm originally from pr, live now in upstate ny and stay at marriott-san juan ocassionally during visits for night or two. i'd recommend taking a taxi, rather than the bus as the bus schedule can be unreliable. ask the hotel (call the property directly) and ask them if they have a shuttle to and from the airport. if they dont, ask them how much they estimate the cab fare should be, then ensure you get a similar fare when you actually take the cab from the airport. also, if you go to la casita blanca, like described in others posts, its very very very local, but very good as well, its a well kept secret. for dessert get the flan, the portion i got the last time i was there for thxgiving week was enough to feed about 4-5 people. as for stuff to do with the kids go to old san juan and be sure to visit el morro fortress, you can take a cab there and back. you can spend the entire day in old san juan including the fortress, then come back to the pool and the beach right at the property later in the day.

vjdantone Platinum

Charanda: That is so funny - you're doing the same thing I did awhile ago - staying at the Marriott before & after a cruise...anyway, you'll love the hotel.  They have a nice (but a little pricey) buffet breakfast that you can easily chow down on and skip lunch.  Tuscany restaurant at the hotel is good, but isn't as great as it was a few years back since they lost their chef.  If you can upgrade to the Consierge level, you can get access to their lounge where there's a nice FREE breakfast every morning and free happy hour snacks (honor bar) every evening as well.  Now, there are some inexpensive places nearby to eat, it you turn left out of the hotel, there's a really decent pizza joint that the family should like.  Also, there's actually a fun and reasonable Mexican restaurant, Cielito Lindo, about a 5 block walk from the hotel (turn right, but ask the consierge).  Also, Ajili Mojili (turn right) is really decent, not too pricey, Puerto Rican food (it's near the new Renaissance hotel). You should have NO problems walking on the main drags during the evening.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...