79 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2016 7:42 PM by misterchk RSS

Marriott Marquis Concierge Lounge

jac Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have stayed at the Marriott Marquis numerous times over the last year.  I always wonder why there are so many people in the lounge.  I tried to have breakfast there this Wednesday and there were at least 40 people in line.  Maybe they should consider a different area for Platinum members as this is very discouraging.  Makes me want to stay at a different hotel to avoid this crowd.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott Marquis
  • Re: Marriott Marquis Concierge Lounge
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

As I remember, at first, the CL was only for platinum but then they added gold.  There are some hotels that sell entry into the CL.  The Seattle Waterfront does this and the San Antonio, Riverwalk also.  Maybe others are doing this too!  What I like about being able to go to the CL is no wait and a place to relax in the evening.  If crowded, I don't have that.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

jac

I'm assuming you are referring to the nyc Marriott Marquis.  Yes, the lines are long, but the wait is well worth it when you consider what it would cost to eat breakfast or a light meal in nyc.  Plus, the Hotel is huge and always packed.  I'm just not sure what the answer could be to make this situation better.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Shoeman,

I avoid the Marquis and stay at the Renaissance or CY.  Doing so I get to visit my favorite place to have breakfast in NYC, between The Marquise and CY South is a wonderful place, Duke's, for around $2 I get a scrambled egg and bacon bagel.  It is wonderful and inexpensive.

PTDC0007.JPG

Location Brand Hotel
      New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott Marquis
        GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Will need to remember your breakfast spot in case I try again with Autograph Collection.  Will need a plan B on breakfast as I am not certain what to expect with them.

I will give it a try.  if you ever have the chance go down to Katz's and have a pastrami on rye.  It is fantastic!

Yumm!

yes!  get it with swiss....  It is the best I have ever had....

Add to the MUST DO LIST!

I just checked it on the map, and its not far from where I stay (RI on 6th btw 38th-39th) and shop (down broadway), just a couple blocks east on Houston.  Just looking at the picture of that sandwich on the website is making me want to get on the train tomorrow for a sandwhich, except the weather is just too hot for the city! I use to go to the Stage or Carnegies, but last trip it wasn't as good as I remember it.

http://katzsdelicatessen.com/

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

From time to tim, when i am in NYC, I also stay at that RI.  I'm amazed at how big that Breakfast area is.

Its great! Always a place to sit. Also, they don't lock it off hours as the computers are in there, so I have used it for other purposes like getting together with family or friends, bringing in carryout food, etd

That's intereesting.  I will have to remember that for next time.  It's always great communicating with you, as I always learn something from you!

Agree---but the corned beef is better---and less fat!

you bet!  Katz's rocks.  pastrami or corned beef, you cannot go wrong...

Just need to wait for the weather to cool down to venture into NYC.  Until then will cool down in the Norweigan Fjords!

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

In my experience, the lounge fills up for breakfast during the last hour that they are serving.  If you get there before that last hour you generally don't have that problem.

have yet to stay there, but in other Marriott concierge lounges, people invite non-MR people in.  I was once at a Marriott many years ago---i forgot where, and there was a person outside the door who checked your credentials out.

I have had them checking people in at a few.  Usually in the afternoon.  I think it may have been internatioally where they serve free drinks.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

We were recently at a Marriott in Asheville, NC.  They had everyone sign into the lounge and enter the number of guests they had with them.  Looks like they are taking preliminary steps to improving the situation.

The Renaissance Times Square South actually leaves you an automated message when you check into the hotel recommending when you should eat in the CL to avoid elevator waits and lines for breakfast.  I find this very helpful as I figure out when I need to get up to be at breakfast in time and place my wake up call.

Also, to be on the concierge floor does not necessarily mean that you are even a Marriott Rewards member much less Platinum.  You can pay for a room on that floor.  Being upgraded to this floor is definately a benefit, and is assigned in the order of priority, so platinums is first to be upgraded, then gold, and last silver.

Most of the times I have not been upgraded I have been told that its because there were so many platinums that checked in before I did, but I have always received lounge access.

When staying in the Marriott Marquis, which I did for the better part of year for business, due to the slow elevators, I was very greatful when my room was on concierge floor and I didn't have to wait for an elevator.  Also, I believe this is the property that has the stairs connecting the lounge with the business center on the next floor, so a room on either floor allows you to avoid the elevator congestion which is the challenge of this property.  They do have the new elevtor system which has improved things much, but I still allow extra time for the elevator especially a rush times.

GemPrincess,

These are really great suggestions!

I can't take the Marquis and have been staying at the Ren. or Courtyard Times Square South. 

That elevator tip is very nice for people who do stay at the Marriott.

I agree!

I am really surprised that more properties don't do this.  So much is going on, that I often forget to plan ahead. At this property, when I get to my room, which is always a nice corner room with a view of Bryant Park or the Empire State Building, I see the red light for messages and think that someone has already called me. Then I find out its the front desk reminding me to consider my breakfast schedule so that I am not waiting on elevators and get there before the food is gone.  I am not certain if they do this for everyone, or just platinum's but its very helpful for me, and probably for them as I am not irrate in the morning cause I missed my breakfast, or nothing was left to eat.

I never had them send a message.  That is nice!

Yes, i get these as well, in Miami.  Besides a robe, i also get free chocolates every night.  They also have a circular staircase which connects the floor below to the CL.

That's what I thought, but haven't been there in awhile.  Have been enjoying the Renaissance Times Square South.  Its like having your own NYC apartment as it has a kitchen with granite countertops and stainless style appliances. I usually get a corner room with great views of Bryant Park or the Empire State Building depending on which end of the hotel I am on.  When my sister and her kids come, I stock up the fridge with drinks and snacks and it cuts down on costs of being in town.  My favorite hallal vendor is around the corner.  I love the grilled chicken over salad with yogurt, could eat this all the time, but if I want variety, there is lamb or falafel.  Its only $5 for a large box of this. If you can't finish it all, put it in the fridge and you have a 2nd meal.

p.s They have a great CL.  Its the entire 3rd floor with comfortable chairs and couches, an electronic fireplace, flat screen TVs, 3 computers.  When the family came for xmas, I kept costs down by buying drinks from the bodega across the street, meals from the Halall vendor around the corner, and we all gathered in the CL after it closed and was completely empty. Also on the floor are some nice conference rooms.  If I am ever the organizer for a conference, I will definately pick this location.

Wow, that is a lot of stuff!  Seems like you got it all covered!

This is a Renassiance?  It sounds like a condo!

Precisely why I like it!

Even if you buy a place in Manhattan in cash, you still have to pay a maintenance fee, and the lowest Maintenance fee I have seen is $1200-$1500.  Most are around $2000-$3000, and that is per month.  For the amount of time I can spend in NYC, may as well stay at the Renassiance and pretend its my NYC pied a-terre:=)

Smart!

no taxes, utilities, cleaning lady etc....completely turnkey.  Just have to pare down the possessions to something that you can carry:=)

Some day I should calculate the cost of living at home vs living out.  We might be surprised.

They use to have a Marriott Condo in WDC.  Wonder if they still have it?  It use to be that if you bought into the place [and it was a bit pricey at $1M], if you moved your stuff into storage so they could use it, you could use other Marriott locations.  I have always wanted to do something like this with either Marriott or a cruise ship.  There is also a cruise ship like this, but in the same price range, which at this point is beyond my means.  Keep waiting for a deal I can afford.

I, too, really like to be on the CF and not have to wait for the elevators.  I don't get on it often.  I am told that I get to use the CL so it should not matter but as you pointed out, it does matter.  they also put extra goodies in the room; like bottled water and robes that are not always on other floors.

Yes,

Well put!  Never flew BA, so I am interested in your comments on the trip!

Jerry,

I havn't either.  I really learned that they have the highest taxes of all the airlines and they usually go through LHR which taxes a lot too.  AA uses BA to lots of locations through One World.  I was getting a lot of AA miles in Maririott packages but since we can't any longer, I have started to get United.  I will be making a trip to South Africa in fall.  I priced it with AA miles and going on BA the taxes were over $1000.  I used those miles for this trip and the United for SA.  The taxes using United were a little over $100.  Major difference!

I will report back upon return.  Thanks again!

californian,

Yes, please let us all know about the trip!

Have an invitation to Johannesburg and would take Delta, but have never been so I would enjoy a report from a MI!

Jerry,

I will not be going to Johannesburg on my trip.  The crime rate there is the highest of any African city.  I will be in Cape Town, which is the third in the world for violent crime, and other southern cities and of course, a safari (but in a maliara free area).  Having traveled a lot, I know how to be careful and there extra careful.  I will report back upon return.

Sounds like you have a great plan!

Never been there but you will have to be very careful.  I am really concerned about going anywhere outside the US, there is just so much going on and it concerns me to be in the middle of it! 

Good luck!

For years I have stayed is the US and have made 6 trips to Australia and 2 to New Zealand which are probably safer than the US.  I have taken a few trips to Asia and used caution!  I finally decided that things are not going to get better soon and do a lot of research and then go.

there is a really good travel advisory service called IJet.  A friend of mine use to work there, and I found out that many large corporations are subscribers, as well as World Bank, IMF, etc.  I use to be able to access the information there, in exchange for providing writeups to places I visited especially the more out of the way places like Ukraine, Russia, and I had friends from overseas providing information from the local news that we don't often see.  You might check with your company and see if they subscribe.  Its a great advisory.

Thanks Gem!  I will look into that.

forgot to mention that alot of the SMEs at IJET are retired military and intelligence folks, so have a very interesting perspective.

How would I contact them?

This is their website.  I will ask my friend the best way of going about this.  Wish I knew last august as I was at a wedding that her ex-boss was at and it would have been perfect table conversation.

iJET International

That was my first reaction to South Africa as well, but I have a friend from work go for business not long ago.  She was African-American and really concerned about traveling and working there, but she said it was one of her best trips. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.  I think they are trying to rehabilitate their image and get more business and leisure travelers.

Many people that I meet have been there and most say that was their best trip.  I will see!

AMEN!  Be cautious at all times leaving the USA!

Would love to hear about South Africa.  Have never been, but its on my bucket list! Worked with some South African consultants at one point, and they were always giving me these local travel magazines but wonderful hotel in the game parks.  The ones locals use are about 1/3rd the cost of the ones we hear about stateside.  Also use to bring these wonderful south african wines for us all to try.  That was the year we lived in the Marriott Marquis.

and better beds and linens.  Plus its more interesting to be with other frequent travelers.  Just different interests, and its fun to swap travel experiences and stories. I find I learn alot.

the_vagabond Platinum

I cannot agree more on the CL at Marquis. It sucks! They have little more food variety than Renaissance but its a a state fair over there!! People bring their entire families (which is fine with me, it just loses its exclusive touch). Not to mention, I was put on 22nd floor last time and it was a chore on changing the elevators since they have different set of elevators for higher floors!! But again, they are the 2nd biggest property in NYC, so they must be catering to ton of elites on a daily basis. Nonetheless, they lost a few points in my book.

GemPrincess, I have been at Renaissance 3 out of last 4 weeks. Even though I am a platinum, I am getting shortchanged on my preference of rooms (king bed, high floor, nicer views) which is ticking me off. And, what kitchenette??? I have never even seen one in all my stays. I have been lucky enough to get a glimpse of river on east side at times but nothing more. Should I just go to Westin or is there a way of making this better? With the $$$$, they get from me, I should be getting better treatment.

PS - 53rd st halal guy is a blessing for late night food and it costs $6 . If you need food suggestions, pm me. Finding food spots is my hobby after work and workout. Cheers!