41 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2012 6:04 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Terrible customer service

capbli Member
Currently Being Moderated

I'm trying to get credit for 3 room nights at the Marriott Miami Biscayne, however the form doesn't seem to work and whenever I call the customer service line (801) 468 4000, either the wait is over 20 minutes or they're not there.

That is simply not acceptable for a busy executive.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Terrible customer service
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

If you have status, you have a special customer service number which has less wait.  You might be calling rewards and I have had 30 min and more wait.  That should not be.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

capbli Member

Does anyone from Marriott monitor this site?  One would think they would be sensitive to issues that potentially impact their business and their reputation.  They make it far too difficult to resolve problems that they created in the first place.  They had my Marriott Rewards membership number, but someone dropped the ball.

Now it's up to me to fix the problem and it's quite difficult.

That is a good question!  Many of us have been telling Marriott about things that we would like to see improved.  In general, we have had a deaf ear.  Many companies what to know what their customers want so they can improve satisfaction.  Marriott does use surveys so someone must want feedback.  I have requested that a person with authority should read what we are saying.

When a problem occurs it is up to us to jump through hoops to have it fixed.  I am trying to get missing miles from both United and American and it gets to the point where the miles, points, whatever is just not worth it and we give up.  I think that we not only should get the problem fixed but something addiitional for our time.  I guess that I can dream on too!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

capbli:

I know that when I check in at any Marriott, I always make sure my Marriott Rewards number is in the folio. If the associate does not acknowledge that the number is in the file while they are checking me in, I ask them if it is there.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I had a problem recently.  I clicked on "Contact Us", filled out the e-mail form, and the next day, I received an e-mail response.

Did the response solve your problem?

Yes, received instant satisfaction.  Have never had a negative remedy yet to a problem form Marriott CS!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I too have contacted Customer Service and received fast, courteous and professional remedies to my issues.

I do have one outstanding issue:  I am missing three nights from my most recent trip.  I contacted Customer Service yesterday (Monday), and the recorded message stated that they were experiencing extremely high call volume and that my approximate wait time was 17 minutes.  I stayed on the phone while I continued working, and then had to leave the phone in the course of work, and so never completed the call.  I will try again today.

For Capbli, don't give up.  Try again.  Your wait could have been an anomoly, considering that many have experienced excellent customer service.

As far as my issue, I wonder if I am not understanding how nights credit works.  I stayed 4 nights in a room at a Renaissance.  After the first night, I decided to book a second room for three nights concurrent with the first room.  At the end of the stay, I had two portfolios, one for the first room (4 nights) and one for the second room (3 nights along side of the first room).  I asked the front desk twice to confirm that my rewards number was attached to BOTH rooms and twice they told me yes.  So I felt more than satisfied that I (along with the front desk) had that base covered.  Yet I am 3 nights short now.  I am now wondering if I don't fully understand the policy and am thinking that they only give you one night credit even if you have more than one room booked on the same night.  Can anyone weigh in?

Thanks.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Pluto,

I don't think you get the extra nights credit for rooms you didn't personally stay in.  In the Terms and Conditions under the Elite Membership Requirements, it says the following:

1. Only nights personally stayed and individually billed at participating Marriott brand or Ritz-Carlton hotels are credited toward Elite Membership achievement and renewal. Accounts may not be combined to achieve Elite Membership.

I think the "personally stayed" means they won't give you 2 nights at the same time because they know you aren't personally in both at the same time.

Tryt, I think you are right about this, in which case I would not be missing any nights on my rewards activity balance.

Californian, I hear what you are saying and completely agree.  However I think Tryt is correct and additionally, this is the way they do it for airlines.  This past trip, I purchased airline tickets for two daughters, and one little granddaughter, none of whom have frequent flyer accounts.  The airline would not allow me to attach my frequent flyer number to their tickets even though I paid for them.  So those miles are lost.  I think this is how it's done pretty much industrywide.  Too bad, huh?

He probably is! 

Pluto,

Yes, I ran into the same issue on getting airline tickets for my young daughter.  I ended up getting her a Frequent Flier account to keep from losing the miles.  I figured she might earn a ticket some day, or I might pay to transfer her miles to me, but that seems to be pretty expensive.

Aloha airlines used to allow parents to earn miles on their kids flights.  They went bk.

erc Platinum

I actually had a scenario where I did personally stay in two hotels in one night (as defined by Marriott). Being removed at the 10 am kick out time at Marriott Beach Place Towers in Ft. Lauderdale, I needed a place to hang awaiting my 6:00 pm flight, so I booked a nearby Fairfield for a 'very late' check-in - went there in time for their breakfast, worked in a nice room, sat at the pool, and rode their free shuttle to the airport. I agree, I wouldn't have received credits for both nights (I used points for Fairfield anyway), but it was a first for me.

I would be curious if you paid, would you have gotten the night credit?  It seems like you should have.

Did the FFI have a late checkout?

erc Platinum

My guess would be that they probably would allow the points (on this kind of case by case situation), but you would definitely have to 'earn' them - several phone calls, follow ups, and ongoing diligence.

After close coordination - I called the property while in Ft. Lauderdale, reviewing the arrangement and of course when I checked in, I got the one person who wasn't aware (no service problem, just luck of the draw, but I find Murphy's Law really applies at check-ins  - but no sweat, others stepped in and handled it superbly and even told me the breakfast was still available, Jimmy Dean hit the spot, raising my cholestrol and blood pressure far less than a messed up check in would have!).  I'm not aware of their specific policy, but by talking with the property folks, they were very thoughtful in allowing me a late check out until 3:30, which worked out great.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I have done this in NYC, and they have given me 1/2 day rates when I am staying past even a late check out, but not the nite.

These are just my thoughts.  I was under the impression that you could get credit for more rooms as long as you are paying.  For example:  a family has 2 teen age daughters and put them in a different room.  If it had been a RI some have 2 bedrooms but almost all the hotels do not.  The parents are paying.  Should the parent get the reward credit?  What may be the case is one would not get the night credit toward elite.  I would be interested in the answer.

Californian,

One way around that might be to set up another Marriott Account in your wife's name, and then book the other room in her name.  That might not help towards maintaining your status, but at least it doesn't leave points unclaimed.  Also, I believe there is an ability to transfer points between family members, which would get them in your name for a big vacation or something, but I forget what the rules are about that.

My mom and I have transferred points between us in the past, but it can only be done in conjunction with booking a stay on points where the member doing the booking doesn't have the required amount of points.  In other words, you can't just transfer points willy nilly.  It has to be in conjunction with a booking.

Too bad.  They do try to close those loopholes when they can, I guess.  For a big trip, that might come in handy though, if I was just a little short and my wife had the points I needed.

Exactly.  At least they let us transfer points when we need to!

Something is better than nothing!

The big thing is that a spoce can inherit Marriott points.

I like email too!

no need to wait in a line, and I am usually not in a hurry to resolve things like this, just want to make sure it gets done eventually and I don't forget.

matter of fact with an email, I then have a record of what I said and did, and when, and all their responses.

sometimes after a phone call its still not resolved, but unless you take good notes and file them where you can find them, you don't have a good record of what has happened, when and by who.

I do exactly the same thing.  I note the date and time of the call and who I spoke to.  Oftern times when someone says only their first name, I ask for a last name as well..

capbli:

On the marriott.com home page after you sign in the dropdown menu has an 'Rewards Account Activity' line. Click on that line, click on 'View Rewards Activity' and when you get to the page that displays recent activity there is a 'Missing Stay Request Form' just above the Transactions area on the right side of the page. You can fill in the form and fax or mail it to receive the proper credit.

Hope this helps.

This is also a good remedy, and probably just as, or more reliable.  It strikes me that in this age of technology, that anyone would experience a "missing stay"!!!!

I agree. I would think that any associate that does not see a Rewards number in a customers file when checking in would ask them if they are a member. I would think they would be either looking to sign up a new member to the Rewards program or making sure a member is properly credited for the night.

It this is a repeating pattern for you, you should inquire as to what the issue is with retaining the number associated with your name.

I think so.  Or Marriott could program the system to require a number or check that the guest chooses not to give one or does not want one.

Jojoangel Platinum 1 Reviews

I recently had a missed stay.  My marriot rewards number was on file and on my bill at check out.  Still time went by with no credit of stay.  First time it ever happened to me.  I contacted customer service, emailed my bill upon request and they credited my stay and also my platinum welcome points.  While annoying to deal with, customer service handled it quickly.

The verification of rewards number on file is not a guarantee that everything will credit...technology gets the better of us some times.

Thats why its important to verify everything once it happens.  Don't trust technology 100 percent

Jojoangel Platinum 1 Reviews

Exactly and I do everytime.  I frequent that hotel about five times per year and everytime I verify and validate numbers.  Nothing was different that time at all; just a snafu and it was quickly rectified by customer service.

Glad to read that everything was rectified to your satisfaction.

I prefer to book online and print a copy of my reservation.

It has the reservation number and my marriott number.

It also avoids someone putting in the wrong dates as well, which has happened a couple of times on the phone.

I agree but it happens on airlines too and then if you don't have your boarding pass you don't get missing miles.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks for your patience, see the helpful recommendations provided by tef6178 and lone6star