17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2014 11:54 AM by fschumpert RSS

Beware of Fraud!

musictomyears Platinum 6 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Tonight I logged into our account and all our points have been stolen!  I found out that you must

request a password to protect your account.  If any stranger has your name and rewards number

they can pick up the phone call Marriott rewards and order a gift card and you will no longer

have points in your account.

Make sure you have a four pin password on your account

before you are a victim.  I believe God protected us tonight, because this happened today

and we caught it in time to cancel the cards that were going to a bogus address.  I am SO

tempted to put the name of the person and their home address online for the whole world

to see but I am waiting to call the Marriott Reward's line in the morning.  Is this not fraud?

I am not sure how they got into our account, because all our information was changed,

home address, email address, phone number.  We called the Marriott redemption line

tonight and Tim cancelled the cards, scheduled to be mailed to someone else.  His

screen showed our profile information was the same but the gift cards had an Illinois

address.  Our screen showed ALL our personal information had been changed.  So

we changed it back, changed our Marriott password and protected our reward points

by getting a password.

KEEP YOUR EYES ON YOUR POINTS BECAUSE THERE IS A THIEF WAITING

TO ENJOY YOUR VACATION!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Beware of Fraud!
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

That is terrible!  What 4 digit pin are you referring to?  I have an online password but none when I call in.  Is that what you are talking about?

Thanks for the warning!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Yes, we were told that you need to have a password, to protect your points.  This was news to us but I suggest you call Marriott rewards and ask. 

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Did you ever call to get a PIN?

I called and after talking to them decided that I did not need one.  We have similar protection as on a credit card.  If someone takes our points we can sign a paper that we didn´´t and Marriott will give them back and go after the bad guy.  They said it is not hard to track the person since they try to use them at places that require id.  Afer a while keeping track of passwords and pins becomes a task.  I had a passworded account and forgot the password and they would not let me in.

Ok, thanks for the reply here.  Since many of us have large point balances, I wanted to be sure, we did not need to take extra precautions.

Take the extra precautions.

So you just call the Platinum hotline and ask that a password be added onto the account for redeeming points?

You need PCS.  I will probably do it too when I get home.

Correction, call Rewards.

Rewards, customer service. 

We called the Marriott rewards line.

They ordered gift cards, so no ID will be required. 

We now have a password.  We understand they did this through skymall.  They were able to charge our American Express four separate fees for four cards that they had ordered.  I highly suggest you get a password, it is more than your points they have access too.  

Thanks.  I will look into this again when I get home.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I just called and put a PIN on my MR account.  Spouse emailed and article about someone's HHonors account being wiped out, so I thought it was time to up the security.  MR was very accommodating. 

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Perhaps you've learned this by now, but Marriott Reward holders require one password for internet sign in and another, separate one, for telephone access to your account. It's advisable to change both - especially the internet one - frequently.

Also, I generally don't allow my computer to "save" any of my passwords, even though it's convenient to do so. Also, I click on "Tools" (top of task bar) and clear the "cache" and "cookies" from my internet browsing frequently, as this is stored information on the internet, which could possibly be accessed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...