59 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2011 4:41 AM by klaus29 RSS

Paying for Internet Access

ctbill Platinum 11 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated
It is very annoying to pay $200+ per night for a room and then be charged $10-15 to have Internet access as happens in some hotels such as Philadelphia (PA) Marriott downtown.
  • Re: Paying for Internet Access
    bstover Platinum
    What bothers me the most is the fact that internet is free at Fairfields, but you have to pay for it at the nicer hotels, Marriott, etc.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mrswiz Platinum
    I find it interesting that the less expensive hotels in the Marriott chain seem to be able to afford to provide internet access at no costs to the guest.  I believe that Fairfield does not charge for hookup.  Not only that, but the platinum members might be given some consideration for waving this charge due to the frequency of our stays.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mrswiz Platinum
    I agree whole heartedly!

boat4fun Silver

I wholeheartedly agree with you.  Internet access should be provided when you are paying for rooms with that kind of rate.

pourmeanother Platinum

You do realize that Marriott is in business to make a profit, right?

I don't see how this is wrong of them.  It is an additional service that they offer for a fee, just like valet parking, room service, etc. 

alwaysoof Platinum

AMEN!!

It is just plain irritating. At Panera (or at Chik-Fil-A for goodness sakes) all you need to buy is a $2 cup of coffee to get free WiFi.

nancer Gold
    I agree, especially when the Fairfield has free wireless. They know you'll pay $10 for Internet in a $200 room because you can afford it. It's annoying but I understand that it's capitalism at work so I live with it, and pay my $10 by the way. The thing that really gripes me is when I pay $10 and all I have is wired service with a 3ft cord that tethers me to the desk when I'd rather relax o the bed.

examinerkat Gold

I travel almost exclusively for business reasons and also find the charge for internet access to be annoying.  My employer does not pay this charge if I can get on-line during the day - but contact with my family is limited to evenings.  I will  not stay at hotels where I am charged and when I check in it is usually for a 3 month stay.

gywen32 Member
    I completely agree. Why is it that I can go to the Fairfield Inn in Yakima, WA, and get free internet access at $89/night and yet I have to pay $10 for it at the Renaissance Inn in St. Louis at $179/night? I honestly feel like I get nickel'd and dime'd more at the expensive places than the cheap ones. 

travelerkb Silver
    I agree completely. I was staying at a Marriott in the LA area and had to pay for internet access to check in for a flight. They had a computer that was free for flight check in, but as I am an airline employee, I could not check in directly through the airline, so I had to pay to access the other website I have to use. Marriott is a nice hotel chain, and should cater to their customers a little better.

tarsym Gold

I, too, have been baffled by Marriott's policy on internet access.  I stay at many Fairfield Inn's, Courtyard's, Residence Inns and the Suites facilities and get internet for free.  But stay in the high end Marriott's and Renaissance Hotels and you get charged a ridiculous fee for access.  I'd like to see that policy change!

genevaflyer Platinum 1 Reviews

Hi Bill,

I fully agree. Additionally, $15 is much, but then you head to Europe, and face prices like GBP 15 or EUR 20 per day ... this is simple highway robbery. If it can be free at Courtyards, Springhill Suites, Fairfield Inns, ..., it should be free at all Marriotts!

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

mrgeee Platinum
    I agree. At the less expensive hotels, access is free.... I suppose the hoteliers belive that if we can afford the room, another 10 bucks won't matter..... WRONG. For th e80 $ a month, I use a Sprint Air card. not quite as fast, but good enough, and better then the $10 extra that I can't get reimbursed for.....

castle Gold
    This is true at every Marriott hotel where I have stayed (and that's quite a few). Yes, it is extremely annoying!

toothy Platinum

I agree.  I know that in the UK a lot of the internet access in outsouced to a third party company, I would encourage Marriott to renegotiate these rates.  I know that computers with free access are often in the lounges, but these are generally so locked down (no right mouse click!) they are not very useful for work. 

Internet access vouchers for platinums would probably work very well.

johnnyontario Platinum
    right on CtBill.   You can stay at a fairfield or CY and not pay for internet access but stay at the Marriott and you get charged for it.  i always right this in on the surveys but nobody's listening.

dhvl00 Platinum

This is my first post and on a topic that irritates me more often than not.

People may ask why we have to pay for internet access at more expensive hotels as compared to other, more economical hotels.  Well, the way I've come to understand it is that hotel chains, Marriott included, assume that if you, your company, etc. are willing to pay $150+, $200+ per night for a hotel room, then you are less likely to mind paying an extra $10 for internet access.  Also, more often than not, it is the business traveler that needs the access.  The business traveler is likely to just get reimbursed from his/her company anyway.

If you are staying at a Courtyard, Fairfield, Springhill, etc. as opposed to a JW or a regular Marriott, you probably have cost constraints that limit you from going to the big hotels in the first place.  You are less likely to pay $10 for internet if your hotel rate is hovering around $110-150/night.  Coincidentally, that is the same reasoning for why Fairfield Inn and Springhill have breakfast included in the price, albeit a continental versus JW or Marriott or even many Courtyards.  Unless you have a package price at the major hotels, breakfast is also never included.  They assume that if you can afford to stay there, you can afford to pay for internet and breakfast.

joewolf3 Gold

I agree. In my business, 'extra charges' like internet access cannot be billed to the client - so it comes out of my company's pocket, or mine... But if amenities are just built into the hotel room cost, it just gets paid by the client without a problem. So I always check to make sure internet access is free before booking a room. This is a major reason why I switched to Marriott from some other chains years ago.

paulinsocal Platinum
    This is a much discussed topic in other venues, and agreed.  If MI needs the additional revenue why not just include it in the rate and be done with it.

annerj Platinum

Not only that but hotels like the Dallas Suites Market Center you have to pay AND its wired service ?!?!?!

Go to a fairfield inn, pay 1/3 the nightly rate and you get free wireless!

Boggles the mind.

ewoolfitt Platinum
    I agree with you all completely. i know my company does our VPN through a company called iPass and as a part of our program, we receive free internet at literally thousands of locations across the country. I get free internet access through iPass at the vast majority of Marriotts I stay at. They also have a deal through T-Mobile with Starbucks and FedEx Kinkos for free access as well. If you're fairly tech savvy, it's a service that is well worth it.

ctbill Platinum 11 Reviews
    Glad to see that I hit a familar nerve with most readers.  Especially since Marriott brands such as Farifield Inn and almost all competitors provide free access.  Dear Marriott executives, are you listening?   

hartless100 Platinum

Internet access waiver for elite members varies by property.  This is confusing.  While staying in San Francisco one of my co-workers ran up a $200 phone and internet bill because he assumed the policy was the same as the hotel down the street.

We need one policy, it should be free for Elites and it should be wireless so I am not limited by a three foot cable.

scottl Gold

Ten years ago internet access was an extra but today's world I see it just as essential like cable TV and air conditioning.  The price charged is absurd - especially when many Marriott hotels still don't have wireless! 

If the hotel needs $215 instead of $200 to provide basic services then just raise the rate.  I don't begrudge MAR a profit, I even own some MAR stock.  Every time I have to go to the trouble to itemize this on an expense report my blood boils....it's just petty. 

Hilton lets elite members choose a "benefit" and one of them is free wifi.  I rarely use the hotel land line opting instead for my cell phone.....soon enough I'll get a wireless cell card for my computer and then won't care what the hotel provides.

dudleydog73 Platinum

To the person that stated that we should suck it up and pay the internet fees because Marriott is only in it to make a buck, why stop there?  They can sell Concierge rooms for a higher fee but we get upgraded as an elite to this room for the rate we are paying for the standard rooms when available.

I see no reason Marriott cannot add this as a benefit for their best guests.

On a seperate note my biggest pet peeve is only having Concierge Lounges open on weekdays leaving those of us who pay for/get upgraded to a that floor on weekends scrounging on our own for breakfast.  Give us breakfast comps in the lounge on weekends as an elite perk!

--DD73 

hrochas Platinum
    I fully agree.  The "budget" Marriotts (Fairfield, SpringHill Suites, etc.) provide complimentary internet, but the "big boys" tack $9.95 daily onto the already more expensive room rates. The only more annoying "nickle and diming" I've encountered was at the Hilton Hawiian Village, where they charge $4.95 for the in-room instant coffee packet - give me a break!

hcfurnitureguy Silver
    Amen!!  I use a Verizon phone card so I don't have to deal with it anymore.   Has always been my pet-peave that it seems as though the more expensive the property, the more services you have to pay for!

mikieg Platinum
    Internet fees are just a sign of the times that we have to get used to at full service hotels. It doesn’t seem fair that we pay several hundred dollars a night and get nickel and dimmed for internet access when people staying at Courtyards at a fraction of the cost are supplied free access. I have stayed at a few Marriott’s that supplied free service, such as the Pittsburgh Marriott. Also seems to me that Elite members should be given free access. Hell, they give us free food, so why not free internet access?

asiardwarrior Platinum
    Great news for those of you traveling to Asia...in most countries the Marriotts are very near a Starbucks...and there they offer free wifi access in all their stores.  I read that the US Starbucks are also considering the offer of free wifi there. 

divaritte Silver
    I couldn't agree more...  at the very least, higher end Marriott properties should offer this to ELite members.

happyhoppy Platinum
    This is truly a very emotive subject, especially with my clients plus myself and one that raises its ugly head EVERY visit to a Marriott / Renaissance property. Just for info, in the UK it is equivelant to around US$30 for 24 hours. When Management is questioned, the standard answer of paying for a 'secure' connection is not acceptable. Personally I will not pay for the service. Along with others, I would rather go to a nearby hotel, cafe or restaurant to access for half an hour. Internet access is widely available in airports and the majority of other properties owned by other major international hotel groups. Maybe the way forward is as per suggestion from another Member? FOC to Elite Members is a start.

hammertime Platinum 2 Reviews
    I have the same problem.  Almost make staying at the cheaper places more worthwhile.

matlarzacer Silver
    We are owners of Marriott Time Shares.  At present we are staying at Marriott's Ocean Pointe at Palm Beach Shores, Fl and the internet access is wireless, at no cost to us.

mrpepper Platinum

They mif=ght be tied to some long term contract as they were the first hotels to have it - equipment is the same as it was years ago.  I got so fed up that I picked up a WIFI card which is paid for with just 54-5 nights

All other Marriotts are free.  Hilton pulls the same garbage

Nickle and dimeing is the way every one goes, just look at the proliferation of safes being installed - ooops $1.75 per night service fee 

msjusy Platinum

It's not the Marriot chain only. It happens in all the hotel chains.  The internet is free at the lower end and you have to pay at the higher end.  It just does not make sense.

It would definitely do Marriott good if they just wipe out the internet fee regardless of chain.  If not that, at least offer it free for their Gold and Platinum members.

stltraveler Platinum

Internet access is more important than a phone to most of us since we use our mobile phones anyway.  Paying an exorbitant fee just to use an essential means of communication is ridiculous and annoying.

heidimartin Silver
    I've given up on them.  My best solution yet has been to get a cellular wireless card.  I get 12Meg which is pretty darn good.  Changed my wireless plan to unlimited data, and it costs $39 bucks a month.  If you travel a lot - you can see how you will save money.  Another nice thing - you don't have to ever worry about finding a hotspot - anywhere!

unopotato Gold

Like most of you, I also do a lot of business travel and I stay at the Marriott chain of hotels all of the time.  Someone should post a comment on Bill Marriott’s blog on this topic.  Maybe we would see an immediate policy change J

flygal Platinum
    Even with your Status, you have to pay for internet at Marriott?  Humm I would be calling the Marriot Rewards number and askig about that. 

flygal Platinum
    Even with your Status, you have to pay for internet at Marriott?  Humm I would be calling the Marriot Rewards number and askig about that. 

travelhungry Silver
    I have found myself ticked about this one as well. I always tolerate a Fairfield and prefer a renaissance if it is available.  But I manage to look on the bright side.  Heckl we sacrifice the fitness facility to stay at the fairfield and get free internet.  I take the breaks where I can get it when I spend 200 days a year in a hotel:)

roadapple Gold
    Interestingly, I have posted this concern in every Marriott poll completed in the last two years. Unlike Marriott, there has been no response. I have to say we are beautifully taken care of by the Marriott Way. It seems such a small thing in contrast to the size of the bills.

flygal Platinum
    I have found that when I am staying at one of the finer Marriotts, sometime when I speak to the manager or sales agent at the hotel, they will give me free Tnernet service. I agree that the internet should be given in the price of the room.  I will call and see if the internet is included before I finalize my reservations.  If it's not, I will move to another hotel and if I have to, another chain.  My normal stay is not less than 1 week at each place. This is VERY important to me.

syindie Gold
    Although I agree that paying for internet access at these locations is annoying but it isn't wrong and I end up paying the $10 or $15 that is required.  However, there are some locations where wireless is free in the lobbies or other common areas.  Although that may be an inconvenience to the guest, it is free so you can't really complain.  The one thing I'd really like to see change, if the fee is not changed, is to make the rooms have wireless internet.

tribefan455 Platinum

I was about to say that you do not get charged for internet at ALL Marriotts, but reading all the replies it looks like I'm one of the "lucky" ones to stay at these hotels?  I do travel for business, and many times my stays are in cities that you wouldn't necessarily go on vacation to, but the majority of my stays do include Internet.

On thing I might suggest is getting an Internet account with a provider--you know, the ones that you have to sign up for and pay per day at the hotels?  I signed up for BOINGO! in Europe, and it turns out they are all over the place.  I pay a montly fee ($22) and then anywhere I go that BOINGO can reach is free.  I didn't like the idea at first, but they have a $10/mo for 3 month special so I did that (I travel quite a bit), and ended up using it more than I imagined.  Most all Marriotts are in there, all McDonalds, book stores, airports, etc.  If you travel extensively, I COMPLETELY recommend this.  Paying 3 times to a hotel will cover the cost...

rickvotaw Platinum

YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!! They might as well start charging every time you flush the toilet. Charging $9.95 under the guise of "Wired for business" where the phone buzzes so bad you can't talk to someone, with a bandwidth of 256K is so outrageous I will NEVER stay at a hotel that charges for internet unless there is absolutely no other option. 

chillin Silver
    I completely agree that paying for high speed internet access at any hotel is unacceptable.  High speed internet access in this day & age is a basic amenity that should be included with the room (like running water, electricity, AC/heating. or Cable TV).  Wake up hoteliers!

nancybegum Silver

Interesting points.

Makes sense.  My company does pay for internet but I have to spend 8 minutes adding it to my expense report.  The less I have to add to the report the better.  If everything is included, I can save 30 minutes

scgilman Silver
    I think you're right about that. However I would say that if a property is going to levee an additional internet charge, then they had better provide high quality service. I have recently had experiences where there is an additional charge, but the service is intermittent, very low bandwidth (slow), or has other problems.

vermonter Platinum 4 Reviews

On recent trips, I've noticed that the Renaissance Hotels do waive the Internet fees for some Marriott Reward members.  I don't remember which level it kicks in on (silver, gold, etc.).

In a number of European properties, they have a separate business floor that has a lounge and the Internet fees are waived.  Internet fees in Europe can run up to $30 or $40 a night right now, given the current exchange rates. 

steelersfan Platinum
    I agree with you... Last year I stayed mostly at the higher price locations because I knew the company was paying for it.  It became more annoying to deal with little charges and no place to get breakfast.  I now stay at as many SpringHill Suites as I can because I know I will have a couch and free internet and free breakfast....  The little things in life sill make me happy!

crusher77 Platinum

I can understand that the Marriiot is not a non-profit organization but having free internet access is becoming a standard not an extra.

It bugs me that as a Platinum level member I get charged for Internet access

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

This is so true!

Marriott needs to support the computer users! 

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

There is consistant reasons Marriotts best customers like me are not staying at times at Marriott properties.  It is because of these rediculous internet prices.

I always want to stay Marriott, but why belittle me a lifetime platinum member.

It is really tough when you share a room with a non marriott member, they say MOTEL 6. 

sguy1976 Gold
    If anything, Marriott and their other respective premium brands should be offering a premium high speed internet experience in for form of wifi. The sole reason that I stay in the "lesser" Marriott brands such as Fairfield and Courtyard is this rediculous charge that should been dropped years ago. 

hillbilly Platinum

Does no one with Marriott read/respond to these posts?

As a multi year platinummember, I have inquired about this in the past, but have received no explanation.

dongiovanni Platinum
    The last time I stayed at the Marriott in Schaumberg IL they gave me free internet access, which they do for all Platinum members.  I hope this becomes a trend.  I always prefer the full-service Marriott hotels for the fitness facilities and lounge access, but we pay extra for this as it is and still need to pay $10 - $13 per day for internet.

pgncdoc Gold

Mesa, AZ also provides it for free, if you're in the Phoenix area...

Have stayed at RI or Courtyard more often because of this, even when Marriott nearby, don't like being "nickled and dimed" for the internet

klaus29 Silver

good  whe  have  the  year  2011  now,  and  internet  is  free .

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...