10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2012 11:19 PM by lone6star RSS

Need Clarification for MR using Delta as a base.

rocru_ga Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hey all. So Delta, to obtain status, using Silver as the example, you have to fly 25k miles or 30 segments. If you dont obtain status within a a fiscal, those miles or segments dont qualify you for the next years attempt at status. If you obtain status, then the miles roll into the next year for the next status.

So, for Marriott Rewards, all I can find is 'qualifying nights' but nothing about time periods. So, my question is:

To obtain and therefore keep status, are the 'qualifying nights' within a fiscal period?

If I dont keep qualifying nights for a fiscal, I can drop a status level then?

Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Need Clarification for MR using Delta as a base.
    gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

It begins from January 1st of every year and ends on December 31st. So if you start with the Marriott Rewards now and start earning those nights, it will be counted until the end of this year (a little less than 6 months away). For the time being (was told this is only temporary), if you go over the required limit for each membership status, it will be carried over:

Silver     10 to 49 nights

Gold     50 to 74 nights

Platinum     75 or more nights

So if you stayed 60 nights for example until 12/31/2012, you will be in Gold status. Since only 50 nights are required, I think the extra 10 nights will be carried over next year so you have a little head start. You have a year to keep the status (or go higher), otherwise if you don't make it after one year, they will lower your status to whatever level you are at with the amount of nights stayed. Not sure if you read this yet, but the Marriott Rewards® Terms and Conditions answers a lot of the common questions.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi rocru_ga:

If you attain a level with the Marriott program during a calendar year, you keep that level for the following year. So, using kevinhou's example, if you stay 60 nights during 2012, you will attain GOLD Elite status at the time you make your 50th stay. You will keep that GOLD Elite status through 2013. The 10 nights beyond 50 will rollover into the 2013 calendar year and you will start the 2013 year with 10 nights in the bank so to speak, meaning that you will only have to stay 40 nights in 2013 to keep your GOLD status through 2014.

If you have the Marriott Visa card, that also gives you 10 or 15 elite nights credit each year you have the card (depending on the card you have) and it also credits you an elite night for every $3000 you spend on the card.

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

Just want to reiterate what tef6178 mentioned about the Marriott Visa Card. If you plan on staying at the Marriott chains, I think this is definitely worth getting. On top of the extra 10 or 15 elite nights credit (which automatically makes you a Silver member), you also get a a free night (or two) certificate each year that you can use. Assuming you will book with Marriott when you travel (personal or business), this alone more than covers the annual fee.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

kevin,

This is a great point!  Thanks for sharing, I do not have a Marriott cc, but plan on getting one now that this information has been shared!

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I think this holds true only for the Black Premiere card, as I used to have the silver card, and never got a free night.   now that I upgraded ot the black card I get a free night annually.  The card fee is $85, so to me, since most Marriotts' daily night fee is higher than this, so it's a "wash" for us!

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

I'm not sure when you signed up for the regular Marriott Rewards card (silver card), but right now they have it listed as 2 free nights (initial sign up offer only) which is one additional night more than the Premier (black) card. The only thing I don't like about the regular card is that it's only 3 points for every dollar spent while the Premier is 5 points. Doesn't seem like a lot but adds up quickly over time. Also, I don't think they give you a free anniversary night each year

For those interested, the Marriott Reward (silver) card sign up is at their main page at Marriott Rewards® Credit Card from Chase

You can also click on the link to see the Premier benefits to compare the two. If I'm correct, you can sign up for both cards for those who just want the points and extra free night from the other card.

There is another link directly to the Chase website and I think the offer there is a little different. I don't see the 2 free nights: Marriott Rewards - Card Benefits

Probably the same but I might be overlooking it. I would say sign up through the Marriott website since it clearly states 2 nights for the sign up. I'll try to find that link for the 70,000 points for those interested in the Premier card which I recommend. It's $40 more than the regular Marriott Rewards card but you get 5 points per dollar spent and a free night each year.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I had the Silver card for 12 years!  back then there were no promotions--at least I don't recall one.  Please send me the link for the 70k offer.

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

For the Silver card, I'm not sure if you get a free night though. I'm just aware of the 2 free nights for the initial sign up. I think only the Premier and Business Marriott CC has the free night every year.

You can sign up for the Marriott Premier CC at https://applynowdc1.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=DVNB&CELL=6VJP&AFFID=&CLICK=&CID=&PROMO=DF01

It doesn't mention the 70,000 points sign up bonus but it's there. Just to be safe, when you get confirmation of the credit card approval, login to Chase and send a secure message inquiring about the 70K sign up bonus. All you need to do is buy something to trigger the bonus (6-8 weeks I think). I was told that I have 3 months to make a purchase. One other thing that this card may come in handy is for those who travel internationally. No foreign transaction fees

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

No problem jerrycoin. First year free night (when you sign up initially) is only for a category 1-4 hotel, but after that you get a free night for category 1-5 hotel.

Still learning things here and there with Marriott as I'm new to the game. I just signed up for the deal and got a good sign up bonus for it. Marriott sent an email for 70,000 points sign up bonus a over a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if everyone who's interested still has it in their email inbox. The main Marriott CC signup page shows 50,000 points for the Premier card. I can find the link for the 70,000 points application page if anyone needs it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...