7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2015 5:31 PM by iahflyr RSS

Springhill Suites Galveston Island

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

We spent one night at this Category 4 hotel, currently the only Marriott property on Galveston Island.  We were thanked for being loyal to Marriott and upgraded to room with a balcony overlooking the Bay.  We enjoyed sitting on the balcony and watching the pelicans. In the distance, you could see the pyramids at Moody Gardens.  We stayed midweek and the hotel was very quiet.  We always enjoy the extra room at a Springhill Suites.  Breakfast was good and not too busy midweek.  We were supposed to get 2000 bonus points because we reserved the Marriott Rewards Bonus Offer rate and I did have to call the hotel about them.  Our other points were posted within 2 days and it took 1 more day to get the bonus points posted.

Two new Marriott properties are being built facing Galveston Beach.  They are due to open in 2013.  I understand why Marriott has not built a real beach resort on Galveston Island because there is really not much of a beach (think white sand and blue water) there.

We ate at Simp's, a restaurant that advertised soul food and bbq.  The place is not fancy, but we were sure glad we stopped there because their food is excellent.  It is on Broadway, the same street as the hotel.

We spent the morning at the aquarium at Moody Gardens.  The aquarium is not as large as the one in Atlanta or New Orleans, but we spent an enjoyable morning there. If we had had the time, there is a lot more to see there.

We enjoyed our stay and recommend the property.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Galveston, Texas, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Galveston Island
  • Re: Springhill Suites Galveston Island
    LuckyCharm$ Gold

razorbackfan thanks for this post. I'm looking for a Marriott property in Galveston Texas for pre-cruise stay in February and this hotel is 1 of the 3 I have selected but I'm not able to decided between the three. The other two are the Courtyard & TowneSuite.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi, LuckyCharm$.  I had to go back to my original post to see what I had written.  We did enjoy that hotel very much.  On a recent trip to Galveston, we stayed at the Courtyard Waterfront and it was nice, too.  We discovered that Simp's had closed.  We found a great place for breakfast called The Sunflower Bakery and Café. We do enjoy staying at Courtyard's because we don't feel obligated to eat breakfast since it is not included in the rate and we can always find some great local restaurant to try.  Have a great cruise.

pool.jpg

The picture above was taken from our room at the Courtyard Galveston Island Gulf Front. The hotel behind the pool is the TownePlace Suites Galveston Island Gulf Front.

LuckyCharm$ Gold

That view is beautiful. This helps me with my decision. I currently have a reservation at each, TownePlace Suites, Courtyard & SpringHill but I wasn't sure which to go with. Thank you so much for your insight and your beautiful pictures.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Just promise not to look at the water close to the beach as it is not at all something many find appealing, get off shore a 100 miles and you'll be much happier with the water.

702rugbyref Platinum

Beautiful