11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2012 6:45 PM by californian RSS

Check your Credit Card statements

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi New to this forum, great ideas's and helps BTW. Um just reviewed my Marriott CC online statement and noticed three charges for $300 each. I guess when you check in and place your credit card they put a daily hold. When you check out and clear your account the holds are supposed to drop. In my case they didn't and low and behold almost a month later they were posted. Phoned CHASE they suggested phoning the hotel (Grand Cayman). Looks like it will get cleared up, but I'm kinda annoyed. They posted the charges 3 weeks after my stay...it makes me wonder how secure our CC info is when we check-in.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Check your Credit Card statements
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

JD,

Thanks for the heads up. I am not familiar with any hotel ever charging my card in the way you've described. I wonder if it's specific to Grand Cayman. Did the hotel tell you this is their procedure? Were you aware that this would occur or is it all an after the fact surprise.

I am aware that retailers will put hold on funds for debit cards, never heard of that practice with a credit card.

Welcome to Insiders.. please return often and share....

PS.. How was the Hotel?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi PD, yes well you never really know because the charge is put on then removed, its basically a "back-up" for the hotel if you cause some damage or other issues. Apparently it SOP. Um well on the hotel, well the staff is great but for a Category 7, I would say its lacking....rooms are clean but need upgrading, limited menu items and wine selections. I guess the most  worriesome is that this charge showed up over three weeks after I checked out...like I said make one wonder how secure your CC info is if it that easy to post a charge.

Thanx for the welcome!!!

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

I don't recall this happening either. I usually stay on the lower end Fairfield Inn chains. If there is any hold, it should be there for more than a few days after you checkout. I usually check my credit card activity weekly because of similar concerns.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Yes, they do put holds on your card.  I was aware this when in Canada and was using a Capitol One card (before Marriott quit charging for exchanges).  I had a low limit and had to watch to be sure that I did not go over my limit.  One hotel put an $800 hold per day plus my room cost, that would cover meals, spa and whatever else I would want to charge.  It could take a week or more to remove the hold.  Once I learned this, I would request that they put a smaller hold on future stays or I would be over my limit.

The hotel wants to be sure that the credit card company will pay what you spend.  If you have a limit of say, $5000, and you already have $4500 on it, then you spend $1500.  The hotel would not be able to get the money.  So they put a hold on funds to make sure that they get paid.  A gas station does the same when you put your card in the pump, that amount in what you can spend.

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

I've noticed that this has been done on my MR CC (premier) but it the charge always disappears a few days after we check out.   But htanks for the heads-up.    I'll watch out for it.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

jamesdean:

I hope the CC company (Chase) also immediately placed a 'dispute' on those charges so there would be no running tally as an unpaid amount that interest charges would apply to.

Chase (and every other CC company) enters a random value as a 'pending' charge every time they authorize the card for a transaction when they don't know what the final amount of the purchase will be. My guess would be that the associate at the hotel did not cross reference your 'pending' account with the billing account and therefore did not clear it. Hence, the charge was completed because the hotel did not void the hold. On my internet account, I can see a pending 'credit' when I check out of the hotel that tells me the 'hold' charge has been cleared.

If you watch your account on the internet (at chase.com), you can track easily what is happening. I check my account daily since my card has been compromised quite a few times recently with that clearing house problem. I feel that Chase has an excellent system for showing pending and cleared transactions. If I charge something at the grocery store and come home five minutes later, the exact charge is already showing on my 'pending' charges.

Yes the charges are in dispute for 30 days until they can determine if it is a valid charge.

BTW CHASE has been very good about this and helpful too.

In calling the Hotel they seem to blaming the bank saying it was a "processing error"....not sure how the bank is to blame but maybe.

I like your explanation better!!!!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

It is possible the associate activated the final transaction instead of clearing it. Not surprised the hotel would say it is a 'bank processing error'. I hear those things too. Think it would be better for them to say we'll fix it and leave it at that. Playing the blame game never gives satisfaction to the customer.

I agree.  I hate the blame game.  Just say that it will be fixed.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Have never had a hold stay on later as an actual charge--that's interesting. 

I have had them on for a week and more.  I have asked at the front desk and in many times have been told that the computer releases it. If I don't have a lot of funds available, I will ask the front desk the amount of the hold and if I tell them that I don't intend to use the spa, they sometimes reduce the hold.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...