68 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2014 6:01 AM by jerrycoin RSS

Using points at Marriott Champs Elysees in Paris

jccapecod Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am hoping to use points for a stay next summer at Champs Elysees.  It will likely be early to mid June. Does anyone know how much in advance 1) I can actually do the booking and 2) I should do the booking.

I assume I will have to schedule my air around the dates that I can get at Champs Elysees.  Any helpful hints would be appreciated.  I will likely be booking 2 rooms for 4-5 days (we are traveling with our 18 and 21 year old).

We are also planning to hit the South of France.  I think we may rent a villa, but if anyone has any good plugs for Marriott hotels in that area, I would appreciate the feedback.  Thank you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Champs Elysees Hotel
Cap d'Ail, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Riviera Marriott Hotel La Porte de Monaco
  • Re: Using points at Marriott Champs Elysees in Paris
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

jc,

What a wonderful trip you have planed for your lucky family!

First of all book in advance as far as possible, you can always change or cancel, but call the "Hot line", I think they can now book you one year in advance, it used to be 9 months.  Secondly, request an upgrade, if available.  Thirdly, contact the Concierge, at the hotel. I know him, and tell him your family situation.  He will help you and you will have a name, and a friend when you arrive!

You may want to consider taking the Metro from CDG to the hotel, if you do not have a lot of bags.  You can buy a Metro pass at CDG for the length of your stay in Paris.  It will save you a whole lot of money.  If you don't want to do that, have the Concierge arrange to pick your family up at CDG and bring you directly to the hotel.

If you can, research previous posts that others and I have done to get real details of The C-E!

You may want to consider taking the Eurostar to The Med. and staying in Cannes or Monte Carlo.  They just opened a nice JW in Cannes,(Haven't been there), or a nice Ren. in Cap d' Al (Monte Carlos, have stayed there many times).

Think about specific questions or concerns you have and let the others on MI and myself know!  I am sure we can save you a lot of money and time.

The Marriott C-E, is a wonderful property and books up fast.

Here are a few pictures of the property, enjoy!

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

A great courtyard!

IMG_0535.JPG

The BEST eggs benedict, ever!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Jerry,

I love all the pictures, but especially the Eggs Benedict!  That is one of our weaknesses. 

So when you book rooms on just points in Europe, I was wondering if I read somewhere on this site, that there is a high surcharge on the rooms on top of just using points.  Do you know if that is true, and if it is, is there a formula to figure out how much it is?  Thanks.

Tim

tryt,

No, there has never been a surcharge in the past.  But things can change.

Check with the hotel prior to the stay.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the response.  What is the best way to contact the concierge? And is breakfast include for Gold or Platinum at the hotel?

We are very excited for our trip even though its far away.  I will definitely come up with more questions to ask as things get closer.  Does anyone have a recommendation of when to try to get good airfares?  We fly out of Boston.  We went to Greece 2 years abo and booked in January for June.  Any thoughts, suggestions, airlines, etc?  I would love to fly into Paris and home from Nice, but I think it gets more expensive to do that.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

jccapecod,

Yes, breakfast was included.  They have a wonderful breakfast buffet, but you also can order off the menu, but you may have to ask for it!  All is comped!

You can get the email address of the Concierge from the website of the hotel, or get it from "The hot line"!

I always email them when I have questions, especially transportation questions.  Likewise, I always let them know I am coming and introduce myself when arriving, or during my stay.  These people make my trips go very well!  These are some of the professional staff at The Marriott C-E:

IMG_1094.JPG

Fabrice, is one of the finest Bellman I've encountered!

IMG_1093.JPG

Marie, was really wonderful!  This picture is actually at breakfast in the hotel dining room.

IMG_0546.JPG

Lastly, the sidewalk cafe is most relaxing and you will see a lot of people!  Note, the entrance to the hotel is next to Sephora!  Enjoy!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Good advice!  I think I will use it on my upcoming trip to London.  Have always waited till I was there for my questions to the concierge.  I will email in advance.

holyschlitz Platinum

jerrycoin,

My wife and I have a 7 night rewards stay booked for our anniversary at this hotel in February and you mentioned requesting an upgrade in this thread. How exactly do you request the upgrade? I am a platinum is it just a matter of calling the platinum line? I booked the rewards stay online. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated as this is my first time booking an awards stay.

Yes,

Call the hot line and ask for an upgrade!  Do it as soon as you can, and stick with it!

Good luck, and if we all can help with your plans, let us know!

holyschlitz Platinum

I called the Platinum line and they said there is nothing they can do and I would have to call the property directly...

holy,

I have been in your situation before, take Gem's advice and book another hotel like La Defense, or at least your second choice.  Then, keep trying, everyday to get into C-E, it worked for me and two weeks prior to my staying it opened up!  Hope it works for you.

basically you are waiting for someone to cancel out, and this does not happen till the last minute, if its going to happen.  Usually you have until 6pm the day of arrival to cancel, but some of the more popular properties ask you cancel 24 hr in advance, so make sure you know the cancellation policy for plan b as well.

If you need a backup in case of problems booking C-E, definately consider La Defense.  The neighborhood is not as charming, nor is the architecture, but it is very modern, and conveniently located at a transportation hub so its really easy to get around from especially if you buy the MetroPass that JC is recommending.

My sister and I have stayed here for long weekends as its convenient from the airport, and we could get anywhere we wanted quickly on the Metro.  The other interesting thing is you get to see a bit of everyday life as one of the largest shopping malls in Paris is there.

For Cote d'Azur, we have always taken the train when coming from Paris. When flying from the US there are nonstop flites now, which are great. I have not stayed in the new JW Marriott in Cannes but it looks great.  I have stayed in a Marriott Vacation Timeshare that was in Mougin [a couple of kilometers up the hill from Cannes].  Have also stayed in Nice where my sister went to school, and its a very similiar atmosphere, but not as expensive as Cannes.  Both are on the water, the Cannes Coisette is very similiar to Promenade des Anglais.

I also like the Marriott in Monte Carlo which is a very interesting place to stay.

Regardless of which you pick, its very easy to get back and forth along the coast on the train. And the next train stop past Monte Carlo is Ventimilgia, Italy that has a wonderful outdoor market on Fridays that is not to be missed.

GemPrincess,

You nailed it again!

I too like La Defense, and The Monte Carlo Marriott!  When it comes to Paris, each of the Marriott properties has something to offer.  A lot depends on points/budget available!  La Defense is wonderful on week-ends, but the CL is closed.

surfwatcherb Gold

JC - The C-E is the best.  As Jerrycoin explained, it is a wonderful hotel and worth every point needed.  We had the trip of a lifetime two years ago with 8 nights in Paris at the C-E and 5 nights at the Marriott in Cap D'Al (walking distance to monte carlo).   We flew into  CDG and home from Nice (to NY) all on Delta points.   Took the RER and metro to the C-E, high speed train to monte carlo.   When in monte carlo, took the train one day for a visit to Nice and Cannes and even had dinner one night in Ventimiglia.   Everything was so easy to navigate, the comped breakfasts as gold members at each location was delicious.   While the C-E is in a very busy area, especially being next to Sephora, it is a great location for a first timer in Paris.  Close to the metro, and within walking distance to the Louvre, Arc and Eiffel Tower.   Make sure you take a bus trip to the town of Eze from Monte Carlo.   Costs one Euro each way and the town is lovely.   Visit the perfume factory and bring home some nice French perfume for yourself and as gifts.  

Have fun planning.

surfwatcher

ps.  planning our 2nd trip of a lifetime to Italy in 2014.  Can't wait.   and yes, am planning to stay at the Grand Flora on points. 

Surfwatcherb

Sounds awesome and like the exact trip we want to take!  We don't have airline miles, so that will be a big expense.  Hoping to be able to get reasonable flights from BOS to Paris and then Nice to BOS.  We could fly out of NY if it were a good enough deal, so I will start watching.   We thought of renting a villa in Nice for the second part of our stay, but are also considering another Marriott.  Looking forward to Eze, Monte Carlo, and I love the idea of a dinner in Italy!  It sounds like we won't need a car, which I am relieved about.  We will be in South France for 5 days also, and I'm glad to hear that you were able to fit all that in.  Did you like the CapD', and would you stay there again? Do you think staying in Nice would be equally good, or is there some other area you would maybe recommenend, such asVillefranche-sur-Mer Thanks for all the great tips and I may be asking more as we get closer.

surfwatcherb,

Thanks for you comments, I don't think people can really appreciate how wonderful the C-E is for a "First timer", especially people who may never make it back!  For regulars, yes, there are a lot of other choices. 

I hope people will consider a trip to Northern Italy, and then The Monte Carlo area, The Lake Como area is really wonderful as well.

The south of France is often overlooked, and its a really wonderful place to go.  You can stay anywhere along the coast and use the train. My sister ended up going to the University of Nice as her French teacher told her the curriculum is the same in paris as nice, so you may as well enjoy the weather.  We use to take the train on Friday to the 1st stop over the border into Italy to Ventimiglia, as there is a huge outdoor market, and nice oceanfront restaurants.  On the way back on Friday nite we would stop in Monte Carlo for American Movies, play some boule, and spend our winnings on ice cream at the Cafe de Paris. We also all went to Toulon to visit a friend's parents, and stopped back in St. Tropez to see the famous harbor. Not long ago we went back and stayed in Mougin at a Marriott Vacation property. We returned to the market in Italy to shop and its even larger, but still has great deals.  We stopped in Monte Carlo for a hot chocolate in the lobby of the Hotel de Paris, and at the next table was Adnan Khashoggi and his daughter who live in that hotel, and then on to the Cafe de Paris for our ice cream, and experience the same thrill.  Its just all so accessible!

GemPrincess,

So true!  People need to realize there are plenty of things to see, and places to dine that are not expensive!  Like most places, you can spend a fortune if you want to, but there are so many places that are reasonable.  Here are a few pictures of places that are wonderful and inexpensive.

FH060016.jpg

San Remo, Italy and Queen Margaret, what a great place to dine and enjoy the view!

FH050020.jpg

Nice place to dine in St. Trop. Bridgett Bardot's home town.

Enjoy the area, it is wonderful!

Location Brand Hotel
          Cap d'Ail, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Riviera Marriott Hotel La Porte de Monaco

I wish it wasn't a year away! You guys are getting me so excited for the trip...

What about where to actually stay?  Does anyone have a thought on the best central location?  We would love to do the trip to Italy, and also to see some of the little French seaside towns and also to see Monte Carlo.  But

we will only be there for 5 days, so I'd like to be as centrally located as possible.

I thought a small condo on the water would be nice, I see some on tripadvisor that seem to rent for part of a week and are not outrageously priced.  Any suggestions for towns, areas, or names of villas or condos that someone has stayed at?  Or do you think a Marriott is the way to go, and if so, which one. 

Thanks!

jccapecod,

With 5 days, I would just stay in Paris.  When you try to do too much, it wears everyone out and you have to deal with so much travel stress. If you enjoy Paris you will not be bored, but have something fresh to do each day.  Here's an idea:

Day one, C-E, Open air bus around Paris to relax and see sights.

Day two, Notre Dame, Monmartre, using the second day part of your bus ticket.

Day three, (Or any day it rains), The Louvre, and another museum, or walk the Left Bank

Day four, Eiffel tower, and ride train to Versailles

Day five, see what you haven't seen, or go see what you would like to visit again.

This sounds simple, but when you try to do too much, it is no vacation.  Just a thought

Great itinerary for Paris.  We have 5 days in Paris and then 5 days in South France.  I was hoping to get some suggestions on a good base camp in Southern France.

Thanks!

jccapecod,

OK, now that is a lot better plan!  I thought you only had five days total!  Are you going to drive to South of France or take a train.  If you drive, I will have a nice route for you that would take a day you could make stops along the way.  It may be easier to actually take the train, and that will also take most of a day.

Now I have always used The Marriott, Cap d'al as my travel base.  It is by the stadium on the border of Monte Carlo.  You will need a car to really see some of the wonderful sights along the coast.  Here are some ideas for an travel schedule:

Day one:  See the changing of the guard, tour the Palace area.  Here is a view of the harbor and a view of the Palace.  The changing of the guard is done right here.

FH060018.jpg

FH050002.jpg

FH050010.jpg

Nice crowd for the Changing of the Guard.

Likewise, you can spend a day enjoying a long walk around Monte Carlo, see the famous Casino, and take a tour of The Cathedral housing former Queens including Princess Grace.

FH050012.jpg

FH050006.jpg

FH050007.jpg

One day you will want to drive East along the coast, one day take a "It takes a thief" movie drive to Nice, Cannes and St. Tropez.  One day you may consider driving to Marseilles and enjoy a wonderful harbor and tour the beautiful church at the top of the steep hill over the harbor.

If you have any other questions, please let us know!

I don't think you can lose, regardless of what area you pick.

Cannes is much more upscale [expensive]

Nice is a lot more reasonable as its also a university town, so lots of options for student budgets

Lavendeu [further west] is more of the international european set, while St. Tropez, Cannes and Monte Carlo are very global/international.  All are easily accessible by train.  If your driving, you might want to try out all 3 roads, as there is a costal road, one that is part way up the mountains, and one at the top of the mountains.  You get a totally different perspective from each road.  So when we were with friends in cars, we might drive one direction on the low road, stopping at cities along the way, and then return on a higher road and enjoy the view.

Thanx for the pics.

Looks very similiar to Ventimiglia.

We didn't have much money in those days, so we would go into one of the waterfront restaurants and order a big bowel of mussels which were quite cheap.  We ate in the student cafeteria for 3 francs which was about 75 cents in those days, and there so prix fixe restaurants in old Nice where we could eat all 7 course with a nice bottle of local wine for 12 francs which was about $2.50.  Nothing fancy, linoleum floors, a hand-full of formica tables, with vinyl chairs.  An older couple who had their oven in the restaurant, and cooked in front of you and brought it to your table.

GemPrincess,

There are still a lot of activities that you can do very reasonably.  You aren't going to get many price breaks on hotels in Paris though.  Please keep the suggestions coming, it is wonderful to have new information.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

jccapecod,

You have received a wealth of info here, all good!  Definitely get on the horn to Marriott NOW (caps intended for emphasis), as you can and must book a year in advance to ensure a spot at this property on points.  I say this because, having just been in Paris two weeks ago, I will not do it again in June, July or August, especially if you plan on hitting the main tourist attractions.  It's just too hot and too crowded.  All of my future visits to France will be in late April/early May.  Also, you might want to plan around the French Open and the Tour de France.  I personally would stay away during those two events, although I was there during the French Open; it just means more people.  The other thing is, and I hope other people with weigh in on this as well either agreeing or disagreeing, if you can't get into the Marriott C-E any earlier that late June next year (by calling them TODAY ), I wonder if you perhaps would be best served to consider doing the south of France prior to your Paris stay.  I'm strictly thinking of the hot weather and the crowds of peops.  The later on the calendar your itinerary, the warmer and more humid it will be.  Anyone, please correct me if you think otherwise.

As far as upgrades, in my experience and from all that I've read on Insiders, that is something that must be negotiated at the time of check in with the front desk.  There has been speculation that there might be certain times of day or days of the week that are better for asking for upgrades, but I honestly don't know.  As a gold, I was well accomodated at at La Defense, and my mom, a platinum, received an upgrade at the Grand Flora, and on her points, my bro and sis got one of the few larger rooms at the Boscolo Rome this month, but there were some minor problems with our reservations at all of these places, so I don't know if they were just trying to bend over backwards to make things right or not.  I really think it just has a lot do with the luck of the draw.  The hotels are so booked during the summer months, that I don't know how easy it will be to get an upgrade.  All the best.

most of the Parisians clear out of Paris as soon as the kids are out of school and are at the coast.

All that is left in town for the hot summer months, are the immigrants from the colonies, the tourist, and those that can not afford to leave town.  Very little is air conditioned there as well, nor are drinks cold.  When my sister was in college in Nice, after she graduated we went up to Paris, but only stayed a couple of days as it was miserable, and we headed directly up to Scotland to find some cooler weather. The couple of days we were there we went to the american movie, mcdonalds and american express as that was all that was air conditioned in those days, and laughed about the fact that we could have stayed home to do that.  Course we had very little money, and we were not able to stay at the Marriott.

Still, not much has changed in that Europe closes down for the summer and heads to the coast.  Better to go Spring or Fall, or even winter when there are great deals and more availability.

Thank you for the advice.  Our dates are not really negotiable as our daughter is graduating on June 2, 2013, so we cannot go until she is out of school.  And then she and my son will be back in school in August.

Is it that terrible in Paris in early June?  I'm not sure I understand the comment about going to the South of France first.  Won't it then be even hotter when we get to Paris?  The schedule that I'm hoping for is to

leave the states on the 4th of June to head to Paris, and return from Nice on the 15th.  I have enough points for 4 nites at CE.  I was also thinking of staying right at the airport the first night since depending on our flight we may be exhausted and have no energy to do anything, and then moving to CE the next night. 

Any other hints are appreciated.  I will call them today.

Thanks

jc,

You will be fine in early June!

You have a good plan and we all can help you with details as the trip gets closer.  As GP and Pluto have stated, get your reservation booked early!

jccapecod,

No, it's not that terrible June 4th - June 15th per se.  It just depends.  It was too warm for me this year, 78-80ish and cloudy - humid (but then I was hauling around a stroller with two little grandkids too), but just two years ago, same time, it was cool in Paris - high 60's low 70's, my perfect zone.  After Paris, we went to Italy,  hot (in the 80's) and humid (just last week it was in the 90's in Rome...uugh!)  I live in a dry climate, so I don't do well with any combination of heat and humidity.  June 4th - 15th sounds good, but I was speaking from the perspective that if you called Marriott today, you'd be hard pressed to get anything prior to June 19th (one year from today and out), as anything earlier (ie. June 4th, when you want to go, may already be booked up.)  That being the case, then that wouldn't put you at the Riviera until the 25th or so, which means later and warmer.  That's all I was thinking.  But some people really love the warmer weather, so it's whatever appeals to you.  I understand your schedule with your kids school.  My youngest just graduated from high school, so for the first time, my calendar has opened wide up.  And if I were going to Paris and the Riviera, I would want to hit the Riviera last, as it's more relaxing after a week in the city.

In my opinion and as far as your Paris stay goes, I think you would be better served to just stay all 5 nights in one hotel.  Your time is short and valuable.  You really don't want to spend it hauling luggage two days in a row, do you?  Also, they say the best way to shake jet lag is to power through the first day and go to bed at the regular time.  So if you get to the C-E and get settled, then go out on the town in the afternoon (wait, I'm assuming that your flight arrives in the morning, otherwise I could be way off on this) and enjoy some sites, then go to bed at the regular time.  Plus your time in Paris is short for all there is to see.  You don't want to make it shorter.  I hope this all makes sense (lots of interruptions).

it will all depend on the weather that year.

We were there early to mid June, headed up to Belgium to stay with family friends, were in London for the 4th of July and it was still too hot, so headed up to Scotland.

For June this year I am headed to Norway for the white nights

Thank you guys sooo much for your help so far!!!!  I just booked our stay using points, 2 rooms at C-E for 5 nights in early June.  Very excited and happy to have been able to get the days I needed as well as the two rooms.

I think for the South of France we will pick a self catering condo since we are 4 adults (kids will be 19 and 21).  We did a great trip to Greece in early June 2 years ago, Athens was hot but the islands were beautiful!  We should be able to handle the weather okay.  Thanks again for all the advice

I think you will really like the South of France that time of year.  I was just a little older than your kids when I went there to visit my sister who was there age and going to school in Nice.  Matter of fact my sister had considered studying in Paris, but it was her french teacher, who was French,  that recommended Nice. She said the curriculum was the same in all French Universities, might as well go to Nice where the weather was better.

jep2020 Gold 1 Reviews

jcc

I am afraid I am a little late with this but it may helot someone. When travailing on points we always try to use the air and hotel option I think it is a much better/economical use of points. You could get two packages for the four of you. When we two weeks of hotel we get two packages and bank the airline points. I you have four flying you could use the airline points and save one hotel certificate for up to a year.

Also try to avoid British air. The fuel charge and taxes are a real killer.

Sounds like a great trip I hope you have a great time.

jep2020,

That's an interesting tip!

Have never gotten a package deal like that but it sure makes sense!

Thanks!

I could change the reservation if its cost effective, but not sure I understand what you are saying.  We are getting two rooms for 6 days, and the cost would be 6000 if we were paying cash.

Wouldn't it be more points to do the air option, and do the airlines even book this far ahead?  Did you do it online, or call for help?

Wouldn't your trip dates also have to match up to your hotel dates? Ours don't as we are only at the marriott for half our trip. 

I'd appreciate the details though, I would definitely look into to it.

Thanks

jccapecod,

We used the air and hotel option a number of years ago when we stayed at the C-E, however that was back when 250,000 points would get you two round trip airfares (multi-destination, like it sounds like you might need - our flight itinerary was LAX to CDG, and FCO back to LAX) and it included 7 nights.  Now it's somewhat different, you can still get round trip airfare for two along with 5 night packages, but we tried it for this trip, and we were not able to make it work for us.  The way it works is you sign up for your hotel a year in advance (to ensure availability on points) like you did, but you specify that you want the hotel and air package (maybe 300,000 points?  not sure; check the website), and they will book you in for that.  Then later, down the road as you get closer to your trip, for you, say about next January/February, you execute the airline reservation part of the package.  So that's what we tried...last year we made the hotel reservation as part of a Marriott package deal... but then things turned real complicated and confusing for us.  My mom did all of this, so I am giving you second hand information, but what she told me was that Marriott transfers a portion of the points from the package, like say 120,000 to airline miles, which only came out to 80,000 airline miles, which is definitely not enough for two round trip airfares.  So to get enough points for airline miles, the package deal was going to turn into something like 400,000 Marriott Rewards points, PLUS on top of that, we were going to have to pay the taxes on the flights.  Have you ever looked at a breakdown of airfare in terms of how much is the cost of the actual flight and how much of the price is taxes?  Taxes are about half of the cost of the airfare!  So on top of the 400,000 points, we were going to have something like $2400 in taxes.  Now admittedly we insisted on going through Air France.  It might have gone differently had we settled on - can't remember either AA or BA, but we wanted a non-stop flight to CDG from LAX, and those carriers didn't offer us that with this deal.  Anyway, in the end it ended up being a HUGE fiasco, and we decided not to burn 400,000 hard earned Marriott Rewards points on a really bad deal, and so just spent the 160K points on a 5 night stay and spent the $3600 on two round trip economy class airfares.  I don't mean to scare you off of these package deals; I'm just sharing with you our two Marriott package experiences.  One, years ago that was good and happy, and the most recent, which did not yield good results.  I still don't really understand why the two outcomes were so different, maybe a lot changed over the years, but it was what it was.

I hope Jep can elaborate on the package deals that he has gotten for an economical use of points, because it just didn't work for us this time around.  I'd like to know the secret of his successes!

jccapecod,

One more thing I would like to share with you!  When offered an upgrade at the hotel for more cash, Don't do it.  The rooms at the C-E are plenty good and to pay is not a good way to go.  Especially, when you have two rooms!  I will tell you that on my last visit to the C-E they gave me an upgrade without costing me anything but points.

jep2020 Gold 1 Reviews

Good morning.

Using packages takes a lot of surfing but I have good luck with the packages. There are a lot of scenarios so it is easy to get wrapped around the axle here goes.

If I were going to Paris and the South of France :

Call the let Marriott know what you want and get any advice on updates.

Call the airlines and find out how many miles it takes for a JAWS ticket, home Paris or your choice and return from airport of your choice.

Call Marriott and tell them how where you want to stay. You need to check the charts for points. Assume category 8 and 120000miles.

Marriott will transfer need miles to airline and help with hotel reservations.

You must make the airline reservations.

This is the hard part, and my biggest complaint with both Marriott Rewards and Marriott Vacation Club, there is no help with coordination.

The time period for reservations was one year for Marriott and 9 months for airline but I read on another post that the airlines is now a year.

My experience has been that both will hold reservations for a short time while you lock in the other.

You are now in for 360000 miles, you can reduce this by staying 5 nights using 5 for 4.

Now assume you want Marriott for both locations.

Get a second package and use the hotel, leaving the air miles in your account.

You are now in for 720000 miles and you have two 7 night hotel stays and 120000 miles airline account. the miles cost 80000 points.

Now assume you want to fly four people and use one hotel stay. Follow the same process and check the points cost.

Marriott will help all they can, the people are great, the problem is systemic, there is just no real way to coordinate.

As I said earlier, be careful of the airline fuel and tax. In my current trip United was about  $200 while British was $2000 for the same trip.

I hope this is of help to someone. As you know, this program takes a lot of time, energy, and patients. I struggle with the patients part.

Good luck, keep moving

Ah, Jep, thank you!  I think you hit the nail on the head.  The coordination part between Marriott and the airlines is indeed tricky.  Marriott does do a good job, but as you said, the problem with the coordination is systematic, and it all amounts to lots of "time, energy, and patience."  And you may have touched on something regarding the airfare taxes.  Perhaps the taxes are most minimized when using domestic carriers like United or Delta as opposed to Air France or BA.  Perhaps I'll try Delta next go around, and just resign myself to a flight from the west coast that will involve a connection (ever and always trying to avoid Chicago, JFK and LHR.)

Thanks again.

To piggyback on this, here are the webpage instructions and matrices for hotel/air packages.

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/packinstr.mi

Flight and Hotel Packages | Marriott Hotel Packages

andy8 Platinum

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the rewards-insiders forum, and love all the information shared here.  I'm actually booking a Christmas visit to Paris on points and had a few questions.  I'm looking at booking 3 rooms for my family, and as an elite (Platinum Premier), will my entire family have access to the lounge and breakfast benefits?  Also, where can I find the contact information (e-mail) to the hotel manager or concierge to inquire on upgrades.

Thanks all!

Andy

Hi Andy

I am also Platinum and booked two rooms for my family using points in June.  There is no lounge at this hotel.  We each got the breakfast buffet daily with our stay.  It is a nice continental breakfast with meats, cheeses, breads, fruit, veggies, hot and cold cereal and even Bloody Marys.  You could order egss and stuff but it was extra, although very reasonable.  From what I understand you are entitled to breakfast for everyone staying, ie we had two rooms with double occupancy, so we got 4 breakfasts. 

The staff was wonderful.  It was my daughter's graduation and they sent up wine,soda, and a cake for us once we had checked in.  I did reach out to the hotel ahead of time.  I have since deleted the email.  But I just contacted Marriott through the marriott.com website and asked how to contact the hotel directly.  They sent me the email. I did request upgrades.  If I remember correctly you cannot book a double room with points only.  I would have had to do a cash upgrade in order to book a double.  Since it was my husband, my daughter, my son and I, I just booked the standard king, figuring if we didn't get a double, I would stay with my daughter and my husband would stay with our son for the 5 days.  When we got there, they did give us a double, and that counted as an upgrade for that room.  For our room, they gave us a room with a nice view of the courtyard.  It was not spectacular or a suite, but a very nice room for Europe. 

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.  We had a fabulous time!

andy,

Yes, all will be admitted, if there is a lounge!

You can get direct access to the hotel, via the PP "Hot line", or sometimes on the hotel web-site. 

As Jccapecod, has pointed out, (Wow, what a wonderful job he did for his group), take your time, and cover all basis.  You will be a lot better off if you get the name of a front desk manager, or concierge, who you have spoken with to help you.  When you speak with them, explain your situation and needs, most of the time, they are really willing to help.

Lastly, you will have a friend upon arrival.  You even might consider taking a few "Gifts" from the US!  Some inexpensive items like local candies are always a favorite overseas!

Good luck!

Andy,

In March of this year, I emailed the Marriott C-E at this address:  mhrs.pardt.ays@marriotthotels.com,

and received a reply from this address:  mhrs.pardt.guest.relations@marriotthotels.com.

Hope this helps.

steads Platinum

Hello-  I am looking to use points for a stay next year for 7 or 8 nights. Is it better to go around mid February or late April/early May relevant to ambience/weather ?  What is realistic possibility of upgrade to better room and chances of landing a CE view room. Thank you in advance for your kindness with any helpful insight.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

If you like it cold and wet, then Paris in Feb is a real treat! By April the weather is warmer, though by no means hot. Showers are common. The CE has very few Champs Élysées view rooms, although the hotel does upgrade elites to a view room (in 2 weekend visits we've been upgraded once to a CE view room) your chances of an upgrade to one during a whole week stay, is, I would imagine, practically zero.

brightlybob,

You and I are in total agreement!  Having been upgraded at C-E myself, it was nice, but one must remember all you have to do is "Walk outside" to enjoy the C-E.  Although it did not bother me, others have commented that the noise can be extreme from a C-E room.  For me, give me the atrium!

Here are a few photos of both:

IMG_0521.JPG

Very nice double room, overlooking the atrium, it is very quiet!

IMG_0520.JPG

Very nice atrium is so peaceful, especially for The C-E.  You will get a good night sleep in a room with this view!

Now compared to a C-E room, (Which will cost you dearly), I just don't think it is worth it unless you are on an "Unlimited Expense" account!

IMG_1039.JPG

Nice room, very comfortable.

IMG_1042.JPG

View from room to C-E.  Be prepared for activity and crowds, 24/7!  If it's your first time and a special occasion, you will never forget these rooms, but be prepared to pay for it!

Good luck, you cannot go wrong with this hotel!

Location Brand Hotel
          steads Platinum

Thank you for your tips. I have no problem with street noise and activity vs. next door tv,etc. based on your comments, late April to may seems best or even late may.  I will be using my points for entire stay other than 70 euro a night if I can make the timing work. thank you again for all of your insights

scomackey Platinum

I have stayed here CE several times over the last decade, A very nice Hotel to be sure, but I must say, I far prefer the Renaissance Place Vendome. The area is a perfect central location, a more personal feel and all for a bit less than the CE. It's all about location and for me the CE is too $$$$Glitzy.

Have a fabulous time wherever you stay!!

steads Platinum

any tips for restaurant gems or other places to visit that anyone can offer

thank you

steads,

What kind of places do you like?

Steaks, Italian, formal, Bistro?

We all can provide you with options based upon whatever budget you prefer!

steads Platinum

really anything other than indian. love steak, seafood, italian. would like to pick a 3 star , 2 star, and 1 star Michelin for dinner and then have better quality food place than ambiance for remaining nights. thank you again

steads,

For a wonderful beef dinner, this is the finest, for the price, and you can walk from the C-E, (about 1/2 mile, up C-E).  The only thing they serve is beef and it is excellent.  A fun atmosphere, and you will get all you can eat for the same price!  Get there early, as they take no reservations and the lines can get long:

IMG_0293.JPG

Relias de Venise is a wonderful experience, and a great value!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

There's also a great creperie just behind the hotel. Back to entrance, turn left, first left then first right, it's about 5 mins walk on your right. Don't trust the opening hours on the door though, in typically French fashion it opens and closes pretty randomly...

steads Platinum

thank you Jerry !  appreciate all of your insights.

scomackey Platinum

For an unusual experience try "Le Souffle" Its right by the Rennaisance Place Vendome and a really great meal. All of which is in the form of souffle. Appetizer,Main Course, Dessert!!

Le Souffle

36 Rue du Mont Thabor, 75001 Paris, France

+33 1 42 60 27 19

Enjoy!

steads,

Anytime is a good time, but I would avoid, "May Day", May 1!  That is a holiday, and it is just too much if you don't want huge crowds!

I would agree with others that April or early May is a perfect time to visit Paris.  A sprinkle here and there is common for the time of year.  In fact, if I recall correctly, all 4 visits that I've paid to Paris in Apr/May in the last 8 years have included at least one cloudy day with some sprinkles.  I always take an umbrella to Europe.  I carry the full size kind with the J handle so I can hang it on my arm and it's no big deal.  Pop it open et voilà!  Nothing lost.  It saves the day (Paris is best seen on foot.)

We spend so little time in the hotel when in Paris, that the view is inconsequential.  I like Jerrycoins views of the outdoor terrace courtyard, or even a view of the indoor atrium.

camera disk 2010-06-28 336.jpg

While I have grown tired of the increasingly over-commercialization of the Champs-Elysees over time, I continue to love the Marriott Champs-Elysees.  It is still a very classy property, yet not over done.  I love walking from this hotel to the 1st. arr.  Love. Love.  Love.

pluto77,

You are so right and your picture is wonderful.  Here are a few more photo's"

IMG_0535.JPG

You will enjoy some of the finest meals at the C-E!  The best Eggs Benedict in the World!

They serve a lovely breakfast there and in a very agreeable setting.  And wonderful staff!

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

One of the best weeks I've spent in any hotel was in Paris at the CE.  I'd do it again tomorrow if I could

zukracer,

Agree with you!

Wish you were at County Hall!  Would enjoy another "Get together"!

zukracer,

Same here, what a time I had with loved ones and friends! 

What a wonderful place to sit on the C-E sidewalk, enjoy the Marriott Cafe, and enjoy a pretty day!

IMG_0562.JPG

Few places as enjoyable as well as memorable for all!

Frogs Platinum 9 Reviews

I almost used points there a few years back but opted to stay at a hotel at the base of the Eifel Tower.  Based on the pictures I wish I would have stayed there.  It was one night and I was by myself for a quick stop so I wouldn't have had time to enjoy anyway.

Now I may have to go back with my hubby!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...