27 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2016 8:36 PM by tker RSS

Need Help w/ Flight and Hotel Package Understanding

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Flight and Hotel Packages | Marriott Hotel Packages

The link above is to the Flight and Hotel packages page on marriott.com.....

I used one of these type packages a long long time ago. At the time, I received 7 nights, 2 roundtrip tix, and 50% off rental car. I forget the total points back then , but somewhere around 120,000.

My question is for the folks that have used one of these packages, recently. I'm struggling to understand the terms. I'll use the first option from

Hotel + Air Package 1:

It's listed as 7 nights + 50,000 miles......For a cat. 6 hotel, it has a points total of 230,000.

Am I reading the offer correctly if I think they're saying.... You get 7 nights at a cat 6 hotel and Marriott will transfer 50,000 points into your Frequent Flyer account?

If so, does that mean you basically create your own package by using a base of 180,000 points for the hotel and add how ever many FF miles you want added to your FF account? An example of this would be, Two people flying and staying in the Caribbean with USAir FF membership. The MR member checks the miles in their FF account, decides they need 120,000 more to get two free tickets. They would call MR and request a Hotel and Air Package for the 180,000 hotel plus 120,000 for the plane tix..total 300,000 ???

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Need Help w/ Flight and Hotel Package Understanding
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I can't help with the answer, but what you described makes sense to me.  I'll be interested to hear more from Insiders who have used this reward.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Husker,

I'm very interested because more than a few people have mentioned that this type of package is a great bang for the buck. Once I understand exactly how it works, I'll put pencil to paper and see if I concur.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

pained, looks like a couple of good responses.  Sounds like a decent value.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

It will be interesting if PP agrees with my calcs when his does his 'pen to paper' exercise ... it looks good value to me but .... I have had a few glasses of vino this evening!

Chris, as your eyes get blurry from the vino, mine are clearing up from your excellent example of the program!!

If you're still hanging in there, let me ask a follow up, please:

Hypothetically, I call Marriott, order the cat 6 for 7 night package plus 50,000 FF points. Marriott sends a paper voucher(?) and deposits the 50k in my FF account. My hypothetical plan is to use the voucher and flight miles for a trip to Jolly Old England. Do I declare at the time of order at which hotel I'd like to use the voucher? If some unseen problem develops after I have the voucher, but before I order my flights tix, can I use the voucher at a different hotel on a different date as long as it's within the year of issue?  (try reading that after a few glasses, sorry!!)

Hi PP ... I've stopped the wine ... nearly midnight here and time for bed. 

When I booked the Australia trip, I received 3 hotel stay vouchers and none were specific to a hotel.  They did show on my account as being available for use too.  When I decided on a hotel, I called Marriott and they allocated the voucher code to the hotel that I chose.  There was no link between the FF miles and the voucher, so you could use them in any order.  It was all pretty seamless.  I also received vouchers for the Hertz discount.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

You call Rewards to order.  The hotel certificate is electronic.  You will see it as an unused certificate.  Once you have a hotel, you need to call to have them attach the certificate to the hotel or you can make a reservation at the hotel in advance by calling PR.  Tell them that you do not want them to take your points then call Rewards, order your package giving them the reservation #.  You can cancel your hotel reservation, the certificate will appear again till you use it.  The problem is that you can't get your points back.  You can use it in the catagory that you ordered or below.  I just found out that you can go to a higher cat by giving them the additional points.  I am doing that now.  I ordered a package just before the cat changes.  It was too early to make my reservation.  I planed to go to a cat 6 and that is what I ordered.  It is now a cat 7.  I owe them 20,000 more points as well as extending the time.  I think you can extend it only once so I am waiting to make sure.

The air is separate.  They put the miles into your account and then you are bound by the airline rules.  Again, you cannot get your points back.

As to the car certificate, I usually find a better deal without it and they usually expire before I have a chance to use it.

hrochas1 Platinum

Great program. I used 270,00 MRPs to recieve 120,000 FFmiles and a seven day stay at a cat 1-5 hotel. I used the miles with SouthWest and recieved a Companion Flies Free status until December of 2017, great money saver. I used

the 7 day stay to reserve a two bed, two bath villa, with full kitchen, at Marriott Villas at Doral in Miami, much better benefit than a single hotel room.

monisame Platinum

Me too!! I would like to take advantage of this packages.

I have used these a few times over the years that I have been in the MR program.  The way that it has worked for me is as follows ...

Using your example of the 230K points ... you would get a 'voucher' for a 7 nights stay at a Cat 6 Marriott hotel and 50,000 miles would be credited to the FF program of your choice (provided you are already a member.  As you state, if you needed 120K miles instead of 50K, you would need to opt for the 300K points trade.

If you break this down into component parts and used the MR points separately ... a Cat 6 hotel stay for 7 nights would require 180K MR points ... 50K miles would require 125K MR points ... so, 305K in total.  (In you second example, the cost of 120K miles bought separately looks like costing 310K points ... adding this to the hotel cost of 180K points, gives a total of 490K points.)

By going for the travel package, you get a saving of 75K points in example 1 and 190K points in example 2.  The only drawback that I have found is that the 7 night stay has to be a continuous stay, you cannot split it across a couple of locations.  The hotel voucher is valid for 1 year.

We used a load of points to get two Upper Class flights to Australia with Virgin a few years ago and stayed at the Marriott Circular Quay for a week.  We needed about 360K miles for the trip (we traded for 3 x 120k points packages), so had two weeks of vouchers left after the trip ... we used them fairly quickly.  It seemed great value as the flights would have been £6500 each (nearly $10K each).

Next year, we are planning a round the world trip and will be trading for a few packages again.  I just hope that Marriott don't read this posting and judge the package deal is too good ...

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I have used these packages many times.  It is the way to go if you want airline miles as well as hotel stays.  In the past they would not extend the hotel certificates beyond a year but now they will without charge.  I wanted 120,000 United miles so I ordered the package.  I will be using the miles for business class international travel.  If I look at what I would pay, it is a really good deal.  If you don't need the miles because you have plenty, I would just order the 5 nt hotel certificate like you have been doing.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

It looks like someone revamped the old reward packages into a vacation packages to sell

I remember awards use to come packaged.  One of the first ones I used came with a certificate for the hotel, air tickets, and a car rental certificate.

Used it for my 1st trip to Athens and stayed in the Marriott there.

subman Platinum

What type of room do you get with the voucher?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

A Standard room that the hotel ordinarily makes available for redemption...

hrochas1 Platinum

With a little research you can do much better than a standard hotel room. Check what properties are available for your category level and look for your best deal. I used a 7day category 5 voucher to reserve a 7 day stay at a 2 bedroom, 2 bath villa, with a full kitchen at Marriott Villas at Doral in Miami, FL (a MCVI property). MUCH better than a standard hotel room.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

The voucher is good for standard room, but some properties may go further and offer larger rooms. As you rightly point out MVCI properties don't of course have rooms, they have anything from studios upwards so are more likely to offer a mix of redemption options, though like the hotels they have no obligation to go beyond their cheapest accommodation, Whatever that is... MVCI is not bound to offer redemptions at all and is not obliged to participate in the no blackouts rule either, but MVCI are relatively easily available and redemptions at MVCI can be very attractive indeed! Great spot hrochas1

subman,

Since I asked my original question, an Insiders Hall of Fame member, tker, wrote a very informative blog grouping on these travel packages. It's must reading.

Maximizing Marriott Rewards Travel Packages: See the World.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Hard to believe that blog is coming up on two years!

I know.. by the way, it looks like that excellent annual USAir promo is gone with the wind...too bad..I did get to use it last year for a trip to the caymans this year, but was licking my chops at another one..