1 2 3 8 Previous Next 115 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 8:54 PM by GemPrincess RSS

London 2012

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Having just watched the four day celebrations for the Queen's 60th year of her reign and realising that the Olympics is due to start next month, I thought that it may be worth starting a discussion on things to see and do in London for visitors who don't know the city well.  I can imagine that there will be many MRI visitors this year, so if we Brits or any knowledgeable overseas London regulars have great recommendations, perhaps we should post or re-post them under an easy to find heading.  I plan to add a few over the next couple of weeks ... if you have any, please add to this discussion ... any questions will, of course, be welcome too.,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom JW Marriott Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
  • 1. Re: London 2012
    chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

KENSINGTON PALACE

My first recommendation is a visit to this palace.  It was built as a royal home for William and Mary at the end of 17th century.  Needless to say, it has been extended and modified significantly since.  The latest refurb has just been completed and it is pretty stunning.  The palace sits in Kensington Gardens and from the first floor, visitors can get a stunning view across newly reinstated vista to the Round Pond. 

DSC_0007_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0003_edited-1.jpg

A few facts ...

- There are three main areas to tour ... the King's State Apartments / The Queen's State Apartments / Victoria Revealed

- There are two temporary displays ... Diana: Glimpses of a Modern Princess (quite a small exhibition of dresses and photos) / Jubilee - A view from the crowd (Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee)

- The gardens are great for a stroll or sitting out in nice weather ... (it is a nice 30 min walk across Kensington Gardens and then Hyde Park to Marble Arch, if you are staying at any of the Mayfair area Marriotts)

- Part of the palace is still occupied by members of the Royal Family ... those parts on not open to the public

- There are two places for food & drink ... a small cafe near the entrance and the Orangery is a great place for lunch

- The first American visitors were Chief Tomo Chachi and members his tribe in 1734 ... they met with George II and were representing the 'new state' of Georgia, named after the king

- The closest Underground stations are Queensway and High Street Kensington

- More information can be found at this site ... www.hrp.org.uk/

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: London 2012
    lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

yes, but from London, how long of a drive is it?

• 3. Re: London 2012
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Wonderful pictures, have not been there but would like to go!

Thanks!

• 4. Re: London 2012
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

London is by far my favorite destination outside the USA.  Thanks for the pictures.

• 5. Re: London 2012

NU,

London really is a wonderful place to visit!

Like anyplace, pick your time of year carefully.  Here are a few of my London favorites.  I really enjoy the Pubs!  Would enjoy having an ale there someday with you!  We could invite Chris and Arkwright to join us, along with any of their friends and families.  Enjoy these:

IMG_2208.JPG

Black Friars Pub!

DSCN0021_0012.jpg

The Grenadier Pub, by Harrods!

DSCN0035_0025.jpg

The Tree House, by the Tower of London.

• 6. Re: London 2012
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Thanks chrisf,

This is a great idea to start something like this, and as you mentioned, it is perfect timing for anyone getting ready to go over there!

• 7. Re: London 2012

tryt,

Yes, this is really great of Chris to offer us "Local" advice!  He is such a gentleman.  His gift of a Pub Guide of GB has been wonderful.  He has a USA cross county trip planned and I told him all of us would help him with information as needed!

I just hope we can attract a lot more people from all over to the MI site!

• 8. Re: London 2012
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

I agree with helping Chris, and attracting others to the site.  Still miss a few of our past "regulars" that are taking a break (temporarily, I hope)!

• 9. Re: London 2012

Yes,

I agree with you!  We've lost too many good people!

• 10. Re: London 2012
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Chris, Great stuff and really appreciated

• 11. Re: London 2012
    GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Thank you all for the information and pictures.

Am going later this month.

Even though I have been many times, its always helpful to hear other people's favorites that may have been previously missed.

• 12. Re: London 2012

GemPrincess,

Do you like beef, I can recommend a great place to go, that is reasonable and historic.

• 13. Re: London 2012
    lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I've been to a few of these myself, and they are good recommendations!

• 14. Re: London 2012

This is a great place for beef, it was Winston Churchill's favorite!

IMG_1401.JPG

Simpsons in The Strand is wonderful, make a reservation and try a booth!  You could walk across the Thames from County Hall!  Don't forget the umbrella if you do walk!

1 2 3 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...