17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2012 11:30 PM by jerrycoin RSS

NYC, any ideas?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

It has been a few years since I was last there and am planning on meeting some family there on June 16, 17 and leaving on the 18th.  Want to see LionKing at a Matinee.

Would like to see if any MI, could bring me up to date.  Will have a car and driving from Virginia.

There have been so many good posts about staying in NJ, and commuting, but am open to any ideas.  Last time I stayed at CY, Times Square South and then Ren., but do not care for The Marriott Times Square.

Any ideas?  Where would I need to buy show tickets for Lion King for a Matinee?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA
  • Re: NYC, any ideas?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

The 9/ 11 Memorial at Ground Zero is really breathtaking... if you get a chance, JC..check it out. Bring some Kleenex, it's very emotional but first class all the way.

Since you're driving, be prepared to bring the piggybank for parking..it's outrageous ( $30 -$60 per day).  I like the FFI &S NewYork Manhattan/Times Square. Modern and crisp with the nice free breakfast. I know the Marquis gets a lot of play on here, only stayed there once, but I'm not a big fan.

I set up my son at the CY in Jersey City..right across the water from NYC. Easy subway ride in, he said. He reported back that the hotel was great. $16/day parking.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

PP,

Thank you so much!

I am sitting here listening to the "Meltdown of markets in Asia", and wonder where we are headed!

This is great information, Thanks!

Here's a link to the Memorial site....visitor passes are free but you have to reserve in advance.

Visit | National September 11 Memorial & Museum

Thanks!

This is great information.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Jerry

New York in June, how great is that?  Please tell me what kind of food you like and I will offer a few recommendations.

shoeman

shoeman,

Continental places to dine will be great!

Taking a recent high school graduate on a first trip to New York!  No need for anything fancy, not on an expense account, just want to enjoy the experience.

Thanks!

erc Platinum

Jerry

I too am a big fan of the Jersey City Courtyard - subway is a contiguous walk from the lobby, great parking rates.

Eataly New York | We Sell What We Cook & We Cook What We Sell  despite all of the recent coverage, Eataly is still a lot of fun to both sightsee and dine (terrific choices, indoors and out). I'm a big fan of the TKTS Discount Booths feeling you can't go wrong. If you get a great deal on a favorite, great. If somehow you end up with a dud, it's still often is a good time and an interesting story.  Have a blast.

erc,

Thanks so much for the great suggestions!

erc Platinum

The High Line - West Village - New York, NY  Jerry, I forgot to mention this the last time. I haven't done it yet, but I had friends who walked it and enjoyed it - of course, it's best if you're somewhere near it to begin with, but certainly you're going in the right time of year, and if you go, let us know.

erc,

I have seen this and really have heard good things, also. We'll give it a go prior to the summer giving way.

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

Hi Jerry,

Where in Virginia are you traveling from?  How many are coming,  ages of any  children?   Possibly the Amtrack train would be a better alternative. It lets you off right in mid-town and takes just about the same travel time..

There is a site www.playbill.com that offers good discounts to shows & restaurants in NYC.   It's free to join and very worthwhile.

Having a car in NYC is definitely a pain & very expensive, unless you need it to go out of the city. 

If you give more info I can make some suggestions.      btw I  live in NYC and travel to VA every 6-8 weeks.

kroywen,

Am coming from Norfolk area on Sunday, June 16th.  If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate them!  Am taking my niece, a recent high school graduate on her first trip to the "Big Apple".  She wants to see Lion King, so it will sure be an interesting experience.

Thanks!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi Jerry:

If you don't want to deal with the hassle of traveling into the city each day there is a 'free parking' deal at the Marriott Eastside. The savings of $55/day for parking makes the rate much more reasonable and you won't have to pay to travel into and out of the city. You should give it a look. The Eastside is an easy walk to Broadway, Rockefeller Plaza, and a lot of great little 'local' spots that have breakfast/lunch on 3rd Ave that are very good food wise and very inexpensive. If you crave a steak, Smith and Wolllensky is right around the corner from the hotel.

Have a great trip!

tef,

That is another very good idea!

I enjoy Smith and Wollensky's and this sounds like a good plan!

Thanks!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I really like the Marriott Renaissance New York/Manhattan Time Square (on Avenue of the Americas, a.k.a. 6th Ave between 38th & 39th Street).  Especially when I have the family with me. I used this property at Christmas for the family to congregate at prior to leaving on a cruise and it was great.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycri-residence-inn-new-york-manhattan-times-square/

First of all its a suites property, so they have a kitchen with fridge, stove, pots, pans, dishware, etc.  I stocked it up with drinks, fruits, snacks for between meals.  There is a conveniently located little bodaga across 38th on 6th.  Its a bit more than the supermarket but much less than restaurants or the Marriott Lobby.

Second, the suites come with king or 2 queen beds, and a sleeper sofa, so its easy to put 4 people in a room.  My sisters kids are in their teens and tall, and it worked out fine.

Third, as a platinum member they just about always upgrade me to a corner suite which is larger and nicer.

Fourth, the concierge floor on the 3rd floor is the entire 3rd floor, and very comfortable.  It is open all the time.  They have computers, large flat screen TVs, and a fire place.  They put food out for a hot breakfast, and for happy hour. Also there is a great Hallal vendor around the corner.  I pop out to get these great dinners of chicken, lamb, or falaffel on rice with salad for about $5.  For dinner before the cruise I ran out and bought an assortment of dinners and we all ate in the concierge lounge that was empty for about $50-60, which is unheard of in NYC

Fifth, they have a great location, as you are right across from Bryant park and walking distance to several others.  Also, you are not far from broadway.  Usually when I am upgraded I am given a choice of Park view or Empire State building

Sixth, its great for transporation as you are a couple of blocks from both Penn & Grand Central Stations, and right across from Grand Central are the buses to La Guardia.

Finally the best shopping is walking south on 6th, vere left on Broadway when they intersect.

Other hotels I have used and liked are

o Marriott East Side when I want to be uptown - go to Rockefeller Center, the Met, UN or go to the Russian or Ukrainian Consultate for Visas

o Marriott Marquis that is right in the thick of broadway lights, and I have had rooms with a view of broadway.  Love the lobby bar and restaurant but its expensive.  The concierge is open for breakfast and appetizers

o Marriott Financial Center when I want to be downtown.  Its walking distance to shopping along Canal Street, China Town, Little Italy.  Also has a great view of the the world trade center area right from the concierge lounge.

o Autograph Hotels in the Marrott Directory - some good deals, but not all Marriott Rewards benefits always honored.  Have stayed at the Carlton & the Algonquin.

o Courtyard Upper East side - its really out of the way, though not too far from the MET.

Unfortuantely, another of my favorite properties is gone, the Marriott World Trade Center, but the Finanical Center was only a block away, just a different decor.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I've stayed at a lot of Marriott properties in Manhattan and think the biggest bang for the buck is the Courtyard Fifth Avenue. The location is great, the rooms are modern and well kept (if not a bit tight) and the rate is usually much better than the Marquis and Renaissance, which are just a few blocks away.

Wow,

Thanks to all of you!

This has really been helpful in saving time and money!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...