12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2012 9:51 PM by razorbackfan RSS

Be Careful when booking Online.

hopel Member
Currently Being Moderated

Caution to everyone who books and cancels hotel stays on Marriott's website. Please note that they do not have any way of going back and checking past reservations and cancellations. I recently was charged $708.00 for a no stay charge and the company refuses to reverse the charges. In the past when I have booked stays and they have showed up on my rewards account  upcoming stays, every time but this time because I had cancelled the stay. The Hotel or Mr. Marriott's office which I have emailed and called will not admit that their system is flawed and they are unable to verify the information that this hotel never showed up under my upcoming stays. Mr. Marriott I may only be a silver awards member and not a valued platinum member, but as of today I will never stay at another Marriott property and I will make sure that everyone I talk to knows my dissatisfaction with Marriott.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Be Careful when booking Online.
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I always keep a copy of any cancellation and keep it with my original booking just for this reason. If there is a mix up of some sort within the system or for any reason it can always be dealt with if I have a copy of my cancellation.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I've never had a cancellation problem.  I always make sure to save my cancellation emails just in case an issue does come up.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I get an email confirmation of every reservation and cancellation I make on the Marriott website and keep them in a file on my computer for years.  I've never had the mistake like you describe happen to me, but if it did, I could easily find the email as proof of what I did.

erc Platinum

Fortunately like vaboy and tef, I too have never had a cancellation problem - knock on wood, and keep the cancellation confirmations, but thank you for the heads up and best of luck resolving the headache. Sadly, I have found that often, being right is over rated, and the process still becomes a major pain in the neck, so I wish you well hopel.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Hopel,

Sorry that this happened, $708 is a lot of money!!!

So, for clarification.....are you saying that you made a reservation, then this reservation showed up on your "upcoming reservations" page. Then at some time in the future, you canceled the reservation. You feel confident that the cancellation took, because you received email confirmation of the cancellation. You didn't bother to keep the email confirmation (it happens). When you looked at your upcoming reservations, the original was no longer there....

If this is close to your situation, I have a couple of questions. When did you make the original reservation ( March, May, etc)? For which dates did the reservation cover ( July, August, etc)? When did you cancel the reservation?

Were there any special circumstances that applied to the cancellation of this particular reservation? Such as 6PM of the day of stay, 2 days prior to the date of stay..prepaid reservation, non refundable...like that.  Was it too late to retrieve the cancellation from your deleted email? Can you call your email provider to see if they can pull up old emails from the time period. Some services will do this for a fee. Probably much less than $708.

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

Did you know that on the Marriott home page when you access "upcoming reservations" there is a link just underneath that says View All.

This opens a window that shows all your upcoming reservations as well as any Cancelled Reservations.

Check to see if this chart shows up there for you -- either as reserved or cancelled.

hopel Member 11 Reviews

In response to keeping emails, yes that was my fault and unfortunately I deleted them two weeks ago. The hotel stay was booked in December 2011 for the month of May 2012 for my daughter's college graduation; I cancelled the hotel several months ago because I was staying at the another Marriott location in Waco, TX. In the past I have always received an email from every Marriott hotel confirming my upcoming hotel stays and also have been able to view them on the Marriott website. This time I got one from the hotel that we stayed at and nothing from the one I had cancelled, only the hotel we stayed at showed up on our upcoming stays. When I called the the Marriott Rewards number they said that they had no way of going back and looking at what was on the site for upcoming stays once it had passed.  They offered to give me 3 nights stay in Waco, TX which I have no reason to go back to since my daughter graduated already. I guess I can donate the stays to the local homeless shelter, I'm sure they would appreciate a nice bed and hot shower.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I have had problems when booking on the phone more than online.

Once I booked the Marriott Vacations Resort in Marbella.

When I called to make some adjustments, I found they booked it in the wrong month, but I had already bought the plane tickets.

I called the platinum elite number and was referred to a person in audit, who was able to resolve the problem.

It was tricky but they finally came up with my room for the week I booked.

For my online books I have not only the email, but I also do a PDF of the confirmation number, when I do the transaction, and I still have them all.

I never delete them.

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

I have made several cancellations before as well and don't recall ever having this kind of issue. I have done this via the phone and online. Two things I always look for are:

1. Confirmation email indicating cancellation. I usually keep it until way past the original room reservation date just to make sure nothing goes wrong.

2. Cancellation listed on Marriott website and no longer showing in list of "Upcoming Reservations". This should be updated almost instantly (unlike the points which take some time to credit back).

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Another benefit of doing this online is that you can PDF the cancellation number, even before you get the email.  I actually save them both. On one occassion when doing this on the phone, in the car while driving, and the operator made a mistake, I did call platinum services and explained the situation, and they were more than accomodating in reversing the charges.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I must be lucky.  I have not been keeping the cancellation e-mails.  I have never had a problem.  Once I see it cancelled on Marriotts site and no longer see it in upcoming reservations, I delete the e-mail.  I am going to create a folder for cancelled reservations and will probably keep them for a long time.  Thanks for sharing so I could learn.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

hopel, some advance purchase rates can not be changed.  By any chance, was this reservation an advance purchase?  Otherwise, I thought that a hotel only charged for 1-night if the guest was a no-show.  How many nights was your reservation for?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...