8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2012 7:58 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Make reservations and need to change

wheel01 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

If I make a reservation and use my points, how easy (or hard) is it to change the reservation, if my plans change?

I am going on vacation and will be reserving 9 days at the final destination.  Over the course of the 9 days, we may want to do some side trips and stay in other places.  If I make the reservation for 9 days, can I change it without penalty if our plans change?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Make reservations and need to change
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

you can change and cancel reservations with points as long as you comply with the cancellation policy.  My experience is that's usually 6pm the day of the stay, but some hotels are more restrictive and require cancellation up to 3 days in advance.  If you have specific questions about a hotel's policy, call Marriott Reservations.  Theuy'll give you the straight answer.  Have fun on your trip./

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

wheel01 Platinum

Thank you for your quick response.  If I do cancel within the acceptable period, will my points go back into the account immediately?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

That's the way it's always worked for me, Wheel. They go right back in.

By the way, we've done a couple of point stays out west (AZ and NV). We kept the room we reserved, but did a day trip, during the stay, and slept in a different hotel one night. I felt a little funny, but spoke to the GM and they were fine with it. I was worried they would check the room and think we checked out. When we returned the following evening, all was fine and we continued our stay without issue.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

My experience with canceled points stays is that the points are returned to my account immediately.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

wheel:

I've always had points returned to my account right away when my plans have changed.

As a reminder, if your plans do take you out of that nine day stay don't forget about the 'redeem four nights get the fifth free' when you do the change. If you can work your plans for the five nights in a row, that fifth night is free.

johnl Marriott Associate Gold

Wheel01, all of your fellow posters are correct in saying that your points will be returned to your account immediately upon cancellation.  I would heed nuhusker's advice and contact reservations to learn about the cancellation policy of that particular reservation before making any moves.  I hope you have a great trip!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

now days its very easy as they go immediately back in.

in the old days, they use to mail you a certificate, and if you didn't use it, it could take days and weeks to reverse.

Big improvement!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...