2 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2012 5:29 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Hannibal, Mo a Memorial Day Memory!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Mark Twain sure new how to write, and it's obvious from visiting Hannibal, it had a profound impact on his life.  This Mississippi river town, is full of history and there are plenty of sights and things to do for all!

After leaving the FF in Fenton, Mo. a drive up Highway 79 is pretty "Laid back" and rustic.  There are a lot of Antique shops along the way and many scenic stops.  The first stop was in Winfield, Mo and a great place to grab a small meal and a refreshment is Pizza Plus.  Inexpensive, but most enjoyable!

IMG_2402.JPG

Next stop is Clarksville, Mo., where the river comes right up to downtown!

IMG_2403.JPG

See the Mississippi from downtown Clarksville.  The city is famous for all of the bald eagles that roost there in Winter!

Next historic stop is Louisiana, Mo., where you have a bluff view of Illinois and The Mississippi River.

IMG_2404.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

30 more miles and you are in Hannibal, Mo.  Boyhood home of Mark Twain!

IMG_2410.jpg

There is plenty to see and you even might want to go on the River for a Dinner Cruise!

IMG_2409.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

IMG_2411.jpg

Lastly, enjoy a nice meal right along the river at Lullabelle's!  Great food!

IMG_2408.JPG

Hope your trip will be as enjoyable as mine was!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Fenton, Missouri, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn St. Louis Fenton
  • Re: Hannibal, Mo a Memorial Day Memory!
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Jerry

thanks for the post.  How amazing that this place hasn't  changed a bit in the 40+ years since I saw it last.  I also did not know it was a clean shot from Fenton....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Hannibal, Mo a Memorial Day Memory!
      jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Shoeman,

I don't think Hannibal has changed in 100 years!  It's really a town that depends on Mark Twain, or it would have gone the way of so many other "Rust belt, River towns"!

From Fenton, it is not really a "Strait shot", but not difficult, I just take I-44E, to I-270N, to I-79W, and then take Highway 79 North.  It's about 100 miles.  Coming back, I took Highway 61, and it's all four lane, and much faster.  Left at 3 PM got back at 9 PM, with a nice relaxed dinner at LullaBelles. 

Hope you had a great holiday!  Will be in Washington, MO tomorrow (Staying at FF in Fenton), if you need anything photographed, let me know!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...