26 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2012 4:16 PM by californian RSS

SPAM

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone else been contacted by the official MI site informing of a private message received, only to find out it is SPAM?  I received one today.  The email informing me of a private message was real.  Unfortunately, the private message was from a female (presumably) wanting to hook up.......

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: SPAM
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Shoeman,

Yep, I think so.  Most of you know who I am, a hermit with a regular boyfriend (seems such an odd word for a nearly 60-yr-old woman, but I don't like the alternatives) in Rome. Yet today I got a private message thru Marriott that at least to me was very weird.  Definitely wanting a relationship, but not the sort I do even when I do.  I hope I didn't insult an mrI but still it was a very uncomfortable response for me to have to make.  And I most assuredly do not want to be part of some Marriott dating service (I'm sure Marriott has not done so, but maybe people have taken it that way)?

Cheers, Totally Unavailable ProfCHIARA

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Shoeman, there was a similar thread started by someone else earlier today, with the actual email pasted here, and a few other Insiders responded to having received the solicitation email also.  But not me...Darn how about a little excitement!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I got one too.

I can't find the thread.  Please give info

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Yes, I received a private message from a female suggesting to 'hook up' and I immediately deleted it as I figured it was spam. Whenever there are strangely misspelled words (even just a few) from someone you don't know, it's kind of a clue. I figured others might be getting it, too. It's clear that it's going to any and maybe everyone regardless of gender hoping it'll land at least some one who might be gullible. I hope that this 'bug' can be stopped or this site will not feel quite right any longer.

I agree.  I tried to send a message to the Community Manager but the mailbox was full.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I received the same message.  I'm so glad it wasn't just me!

With the fear of offending a sincere member (can they post private messages on the MR website), the message was something like you'd find in the personals section of a newspaper.

taxman415 Platinum

I got the same message arlier today from Joy Benson --- It was sent was a direct message.

That was exactly what I got, Taxman.  Other than the possibility of her being an MRI, has the system gotten hacked? I was addressed by my online name.

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

I got the same thing with a saying it had been taken from my Insider profile. I plan to remove most of the information from my profile.  I certainly hope Marriott had nothing to do with this and will look out for its Insiders.  It is especially troubling for ones in my profession.

Is anyone else surprised we have not had some information from marriott on this?? 

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Shoeman I am surprised, one would think Marriott would wish to clear this up and set its loyal group at ease.........Bill

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

We got the same message and she said she had reviewed the profile.  Larry doesn't have anything on his profile other than the info that Marriott allows.  I had learned that lesson on an alumni acct for our small high school that I thought was going to be previewed by the people in our neighborhood only.  Instead, I was getting e-mails from all over the country.  No more profiles ever again.

I think she must have gotten every e-mail address that looked like it was male since Larry doesn't come on here.  She was just using law of averages, kind of like the oldest profession (my guess as to her business) or sales.  

I cleared my profile too.  Maybe they sould have something like facebook where one needs our permission to look at our profile.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Good morning Insiders, We were in touch with several of you over the weekend regarding the spam many of you may have received. As you know, the Insiders community is not a dating web site so thanks for bringing this to our attention and astutely recognizing that something was off. We've disabled the account in question as inappropriate use of the community's features like this is a clear violation of our Terms of Use, not to mention an annoyance for our valued community members like you.

We hope you still enjoyed your Memorial Day weekend!

Thank you for the brief explanation.  However, a little transparency might be helpful here.  Was the poster an Insider?  How can this be avoided in the future?

Shoeman, good questions.  It sounds like to me that the offender was an Insider since the CM says the account was disabled.  My question is, what can be done to avoid something like this again?  As long as the feature for sending private and direct messages is there, it seems to me the risk of such foolishness exists.  ??  My usual cop out though, is of course that I know absolutely zero about the technical aspects of this site or any other thing associated with computers!  Hope a more permanent fix can be installed soon.  Still disappointed I wasn't among the propositioned ones!

Husker

those of us chosen must have been picked by our net worth......

well, in my case that would be net worth-less, so that explains the ommision.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Oh sure thing, this scenario involved an Insider that inappropriately used the community as opposed to a security breach, phisher, or bot if that's what you mean - so all profiles are completely secure and in tact. These scenarios are by far the exception to the rule and we actively monitor for any misuses like this to catch them early. With your help, we'll continue to do so and investigate future preventative measures to make sure the community and its features are useful for the conversations at hand.

Thanks!

I appreciate the straight forward answer.  I tried to send a message when this first happened and your mailbox was full.  What other means do we have to report stuff like this?

Thanks.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I too received the SPAM and I am very appreciative that the Community Manager dealt with it quickly and openly. Since I wasn't on for the past couple of days, I just saw it this morning but glad to find when I logged in that there were many others who received the same and the issue was already dealt with and that the offender has been removed.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

shoeman,

I'm guessing that it would be difficult to totally prevent, since anyone can apply to get a Marriott membership, and all you really need is a membership number to apply and post and send direct messages.  Hopefully this will just be an infrequent problem.