19 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2013 6:53 AM by hodad RSS

Faster internet speed at CY not a platinum benefit?

willshire Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I've just encountered this two-tiered internet option at a Courtyard for the first time. Free low-speed access is available to everyone, including non-rewards members I would imagine. High-speed internet costs $6.95 and is not free, even to platinum members (unknowingly, now it's on my bill). Did everyone else gain a perk or did we (gold/plat) lose a perk?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Augusta, Georgia, USA
  • Re: Faster internet speed at CY not a platinum benefit?
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I think when we got the benefit it was for Marriotts.  Some of the others like Springfield and Fairfield offer it to everyone.  It seems CY is becoming less desirable all the time.  No breakfast either!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

willshire:

I would definitely ask the front desk to reverse the high speed internet charge. If the high speed was not free, they should have noticed you (as a Platinum member) that it was a chargeable item......was that notice readily available or discussed by the clerk at check-in?

Yes, I did get it reversed for this stay and that's when they explained to me that the faster internet is not free, even to platinum members. There were no notices as far as I was aware. Afterwards, I also called the MR customer service and they knew nothing about it either and agreed that we should not see any internet charges whatsoever. I asked them to follow-up with the location I stayed at, Courtyard Fresno. Thanks for the feedback and advice.

Thanks for the info.  I will keep this in mind when I am at a CY.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

willshire:

Glad it was worked out for you. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I will certainly ask next time I see the opportunity for 'faster vs. slower' option!

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I stay at CY's frequently, so this is news to me!  Maybe it was just this one location that had a different policy.

Here is the written response I received from that establishment:

"Dear Mr. _____

Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and for being one of our Elite Platinum Members. We do realize that you have many options for your business and leisure stays and we

are very thankful you have chosen us.
          I was actually one of the people who spoke with yesterday on check out and I do agree  that our Platinum Members should receive upgraded internet service at no cost.

At this time unfortunately the Courtyard brand standard is for us to charge all guests who wish to upgrade. I am hoping however that this will change soon.

Mr. _____ when you are back in Fresno please let me know and we will gladly rebates the data charge for you.

Thank you"

Wow!  CY does not give a free breakfast and now want to charge for Internet.

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

More like they want to charge you for "faster" internet. The regular/slower internet connection is still available. I rarely stay at the CY because of one main reason...no free breakfast. It might seem like a minor thing, but I usually go to the Fairfield Inn because of this. I wonder if they have the same policy on a "faster" internet connection plan that has an additional charge.

But is the difference in the rate justification for the free breakfast?

I agree.

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

Not always. It depends what you mean by that. Are you saying that FFI charges more than CY properties? I thought most of the CY properties were a class higher than the FFI & Suites? The one where I stayed were basically half a mile away from each other. When I first started my new job traveling last year, I stayed at the CY. Breakfast buffet was $10 or $15 (don't remember the exact amount). The following week, I tried the FFI down the road and it was actually cheaper and included free breakfast.

If the CY plus cost of breakfast was about the same or lower than FFI, I would probably go with the CY since they usually have a swimming pool (since not all FFI have one, at least the ones near my last job).

I do the numbers too.  Usually a CY costs more than FFI.  Often the breakfast is not worth much at the CY and we have to pay.  The Hilton

Garden Inn is comparable to the CY and they offer breakfast to Gold members.  It would be nice if Marriott did the same thing.  Many of us do know what the competition offers.

I don't stay at FFI.  I stay at mostly CY's and full-scale Marriotts.  Right now i am in Miami.  The CY is 125 a night plus about 12 bucks fro Breakfast.  The Marriott is $135 a night plus free breakfast in the lounge, plus i get more check-in points.  So I stay at the Marriott as I am saving money for my company and getting more points.

gk17 Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks for the clear up there. Never ate breakfast at the CY so can't compare it to FFI or others. Talk about the Hilton, I think they charge you for internet unless you are a gold member or higher. I had to do the Hilton Gold Challenge and stayed a bunch of nights to get the free internet from them. I think this was only for The Hilton and Embassy Suites. I remember the Hampton Inn being free; either that or I probably made Gold status by then already.

It's probably the same in every hotel brand. The higher category hotels for them seem to charge for almost everything while the lower categories provide those to us for free.

Not too bad of a response.  Shows they care!

hodad Platinum

I was just notified by the Augusta Marriott that the high speed internet (as opposed to the lower speed) is not a Platinum perk at their property.

I really rely on adequate internet speeds for my business.

Between this and the downgrading of the Platinum gift it just feels wrong.

Location Brand Hotel
    Augusta, Georgia, USA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...