21 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2009 10:17 AM by jessejames RSS

Hidden Restaurant Gem in Aruba

koopsie Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Aruba has many fine restaurants (and some that are not so fine).  The best that I've encountered so far (7 trips) doesn't advertise in the tourist pamphlets.

It is called The Chef's Table.  Not in a posh neighborhood, but only a few miles from Palm or Eagle beaches.  Food was superb, service likewise.  The setting was comfortable, clean and family oriented.  Prices no higher than most.

The second best place is the restaurant at the Tiera del Sol golf course.

• Re: Hidden Restaurant Gem in Aruba
    lll1929 Silver
    Do these restaurants have websites to view the menu?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

hst4990 Platinum
    Will be in Aruba for the 5th time this June.  I'll try it and let you know if I agree!!  Thanks for the recommendation.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

chitown Platinum 2 Reviews
    I agree that Chef's table is excellent. The owners are wonderful. One of them is the chef and the other seats you.  You can view the cooking area from your table.

slingshot Platinum 2 Reviews
    Thanks for the great tip on the Chefs Table we will be back next Feb for our 6th time.  We were there last month when the new Ruth's Cris opened on the Marriott hotel.  It is also fantastic.

hayesfam5 Silver 2 Reviews

My wife would agree with you on the hidden gems. The one we found was La Fondue d'Aruba (we have a post about it). It is at www.lafonduearuba.com. Takle a look.

And we have put the Chef's Table on our list for the next visit.

nonamelady Silver 2 Reviews

msumarie Gold 2 Reviews
    I would also try Cuba's Cooking.  It is our favorite restaurant in Aruba.

tallrob Platinum 2 Reviews
    I have only been to Arubua once but found "El Gaucho" to be the best steak I have ever had. The restaurant has excellent ambiance and prices are not unreasonably expensive (although it is by no means cheap). The reastaurant is in down town Oranjestad just a few blocks off the main drag. We walked with two small children from the Renaissance Beach Resort. This was one of the highlights of our stay in Aruba. While this may not be a "hidden treasure" We talk with a lot of people who have visited Aruba and were not aware of the restaurant so I wanted to share.

jessejames Platinum 1 Reviews
    Thanks for the tip & I will try it next time I am in Aruba.  I have been to El Gaucho twice and its is definitely the best steak on the island.  I usually stay at the Renaissance downtown and its a perfect walking distance.

issatribe Silver 1 Reviews
    There is a really great place called Madame Jeanettes (interestingly the name of a pepper). Great food, nondescript location. Worth the reservation!

deedee Silver 1 Reviews
    Enjoyed Chef's Table last year, but didn't get there this year.  Favorites this year were: Hostaria da Vitorio, Chalet Suisse, Gambero Rosso, Wacky Wahoo and Yemanja.

mald77 Gold 1 Reviews

Three times to Aruba and owners at Mariott Ocean Club.  Aruba has food on par with some upper scale restaurants in the states (and some local and fast food as well).

Top 5 recommendations:

1)  Flying Fishbone:  Its a 20 min drive from the town(Orangestadt) but worth the drive.  You eat on tables on the sand (and some in the water--couple of inches).  Views are some of the best in Aruba (get a sunset seating)

2) Simply Fish:  Again sand seating and beautiful sunsets.  This is the Marriott Hotel's restaurant.  Great food (a little on the expensive side) but well worth it.

3)  Madame Jenette's is also a must.  Sometimes a singer or band.  Food great

4) Marina Pirata:  This one is a little drive out of town (half as far as Flying Fishbone) but again very special.  Used to offer FREE bottle of wine coupons (look for them at hotel or at airport).  Seating is on deck with ocean under you.  Lights at night let you see fish swimming around which is also nice to entertain kids.  Try the barracuda (one of few restaurants i found that serves it)

5)  Marandi:  Used to be on the beach at end of town (but I was told they lost their lease and had to relocate).  If they are open--this was one of my favorites.  Owned by a dutch family that catered to your every need.  If closed, try Iguanna Joe's (in town) for some of the best drinks and people watching at lunchtime.

Bon Bini!

rkangel222 Gold 1 Reviews
    I've been to Aruba twice in the last 2 years. My favorite is "La Trattoria el Faro Blanco Restaurant" . It is situated right next to the famous California Lighthouse on the hill of Hudishibana. I liked Madame Janette's too, but I thought it a bit overated. The views and ambiance at La Trattoria are gorgeous and the food is great! I tried El Gaucho's for steaks, but we were all dissapointed, and parking was very difficult there. The best steak Restaurant I encounterd  is the Radisson's Sunset Grill, which as of last October was the only steak house selling prime steaks. But, now that Ruth Cris has opened at the Marriott, it may have some competition. There are also 2 little fish restaurants on the beach in front of the Marriott:  Hadicurari & Simply Fish. The fish was so fresh (caught right there on the pier) and delicious. Enjoy!

hawkeyefan Platinum 1 Reviews
    Will add the Chef's Table to our list for our next visit.  2009 will be our 4th trip.  We can't bring ourselves to go anywhere else because we love Aruba so much.

scudderatc Silver
    Have been to Aruba every year for the last 5 years.  Obviously we enjoy it very much.  El Gaucho's is a must stop every year, don't forget to have a martini and cigar across the street before or after dinner at Charufa!  Two other places worth mentioning that are also must stops every trip.  www.flyingfishbone.com  Fantastic waterfront dining.  Get a Res. around 6pm so you can watch the sunset.  The second is www.aruba-latrattoria.com  Fantastic Italian food at the tip of the island.  With views of Tierra Del Sol Golf course one direction and another amazing Sunset in the other direction.  It reminded me of some of the restaurants I have visited in Tuscany.

willieb Gold
    Add:  Marriott's 'Simply Fish', on the beach; Flying Fishbone, similarly on the beach; and Papiamento's (not too far from Marriott).

chitown Platinum 2 Reviews
    Old Man and the Sea is a new romantic restaurant. It is a must place to eat

beachygirl Gold

El Gaucho in Aruba is a terrific steak house.  It can be compared to a steakhous like Mortons.  I don't think it is quite as expensive though!  Delicious food, great service.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Aruba's hidden gems are really fascinating!

The food is so good and the relaxation is very special.

What a good time. 

kahunapremier Platinum
    Excellent!, I will put this gem away and use it when I go to Aruba.

jessejames Platinum 1 Reviews

Just discovered a new place called Pinchos.  Its about 1 mile towards the airport from the Renaissance downtown.  Right over the beach, literally.  Water is under you.  Ambiance is amazing, cool at night.Looks like a compound, but is a very nice place and has a small selection of suites for overnight stays.

Food was the best I had in my 5 day trip - steak and fish.  Great everything.  What a real surprise.  I have been to El Gaucho, and this place ranks up there.

Also another, Yumanja, was recommended by everyone, bar staff and vacationer at the Renaissance.  Right around the corner from the Renaissance.  Very good.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...