7 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2012 9:06 AM by marshallp RSS

Mega Rewards 2012 stay twice get a free night scam

ucangler Member
Currently Being Moderated

Pretty pissed. I went to San Francisco just for this rewards program that states

"stay 2 times at a place and earn a free night.  stay 4 times earn 2 free nights.."

It turns out after logging on to check about my free night, the 4 days I stayed there didnt count at all. Because to them a "stay" means consecutive at the same hotel, even if I were to book it for month.

Had I would known the title doesn't really mean what people would normally interpret it, I would have just booked at a different hotel the same weekend. This is bullshi*, and I have been a member for 5 years+ now.

I also have found many people that have thought the same thing. This is false advertising and Im taking it to the consumer protection agency.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Mega Rewards 2012 stay twice get a free night scam
    vickisocal Platinum

You are saying you have been a MR member for 5 years and don't know the difference between a night and a stay? Every hotel chain I'm aware of defines stay and night the same way.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Uca,

I can feel your pain. Nothing is worse than thinking you're satisfying a requirement to get something only to find out that some detail was misunderstood. I think we both were offered the same Summer program. I was pretty sure what was meant by a "stay" when it first came out. I checked the Terms and Conditions that came with the offer to verify. My interpretation was correct. The "stay" was defined as follows.

• A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.
    • Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member's nights or stay.

Since this is clearly defined in the T&C, you may want to chalk this up as a learning experience. I truly don't think Marriott was trying to trick you. 

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

ucangler:

It is frustrating to think you met a reward requirement only to find that you didn't. Unfortunately, painedplatinum is correct. It is defined in the T&C's that a stay is all the nights consecutively spent at one place. I'm sorry you have the bad feeling about this but it was stated in the conditions of the deal. I always read the T&C's and suggest everyone does because different deals have different requirements and they can be confusing....as in your case.

On the plus side, there is still plenty of time to take advantage of this offer before it expires.

So, here's to happier travels and getting those free nights!

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

I've always found the Terms and Conditions of every promotion to be very clear and easy to understand. It's not like they're hidden in a long contract with a bunch of 'legalese' language. I'm sure it's very disappointing to have made the mistake of not clearly understanding, but, as Pained Platinum stated above, it's best to chalk it up as a learning experience. Marriott is not guilty of false advertising. I am someone who is consistently satisfied with the Rewards program.

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

I'm sorry those nights didn't earn the bonus for you.

I also wasn't quite sure about the terms --- so I asked that same question to this forum.    By day's end I had complete explanations from several MIs.    Also, customer service would have clarified any questions you had.

I've been with MRs for just over a year now (having decided it would be worthwhile to give my travel business to one brand wherever possible) and it has most definitely been a good move.    I'm maximizing my points, bonus stays, & premium perks.  To me, it is like getting gifts from Marriott.  Sure, some times you aren't as happy with the present as others (kinda like Christmas) but it's still nice to get them.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I know the frustration but when this has happened to me, it is because I didn't read.  I learned the hard way and since then it has been clear.  I also found that all the competition defines them the same way.

marshallp Platinum

First of all, I am shocked you have been a Member for 5 years and didn't know the definition of a "stay."  All you have to do is read the terms of the deal, which could not be more clear.  Second, instead of getting all pissed and filing some complaint, why don't you just try calling Marriott rewards and explaining how you were confused and they probably will just give you at least one free night (even though it was totally your fault for not reading the clear terms of the deal.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...