6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2008 1:05 PM by la_ron RSS

Hidden Treasures in New Mexico?

dbswedlow Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We are traveling in late April to New Mexico (flying in to Albuquerque).  Although we will explore Santa Fe and Taos, we are interested in other out-of-the-way places of great beauty and/or cultural appreciation (e.g. Canyon de Chelly) - anyone have interesting ideas?

• Re: Hidden Treasures in New Mexico?
    sue430 Silver
    I love new mexico, my brother lived there for awhile.  We went on a tour of the Acoma pueblo, which was really interesting.  If I remember correctly it was about on housr drive from Albuquerque.  Also there is a national park near Albuquerque called Tent Rocks that is one of the most amazing places I have ever seen.  It wasn't terribly crowded, and is beautiful, interesting, & a nice walk.  I have attached a couple of pictures of tent rock & of the pueblo

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

horseyross Gold

I would suggest going to the Carlsbad Caverns.  I went there a couple of years ago and had a great time.  We did a tour in the dark with hardhats and lights which was really fun but you should register for the tour as soon as you can because they do book up.  I have heard the white sands national monument is a great place to visit but I didn't get a chance to go. The gondola up the Sandia Mountain was OK.  Bit expensive and there's not much to do at the top besides eat in the restaurant.  If you like Thai food, I would recommend the Thai House on 106 Buena Vista Dr Se Albuquerque NM.  It's near the University.  It doesn't look like much from the outside but the food is excellent!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

dbswedlow Platinum
    Thank you Sue430; your suggestions were terrific and the pictures spectacular.  I think we will try both the pueblo and Tent Rock!

gpeters Gold
    For something really out of the way, try Four Corners - at the intersection of Utah, Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico. There is a small "park" there with a brass monumnet indicating the precise intersection of the states. There is a photo platform and some small Native American (Navajo) gift shops. It was quirky and fun - but quite a drive. Santa Fe is great too.

1kvetch Gold

In Taos, the Millicent Rodgers museum was fantastic - an ex-East Coast VERY wealthy woman who truly understood what Taos and NM are all about

Opera in Santa Fe is great. In Santa Fe, the best time to eat at the best restaurants is for lunch - great prices, same menu

Driving from Santa Fe to Taos - take the back roads

Bandalier National Monument is fantastic - but you HAVE to take the drive to see the caldera - it's on the way from Bandalier to Los Alamos

Spacing on some other things - but there was a slot canyon south of Santa Fe with a manageable trail - can't recall the name - but a gem 

la_ron Silver

Carlbad Caverns is a great trip, although the best part you would be missing, since you are going in April.  In the evening, from mid-May to mid-October, the bats fly out of the cave and it's an amazing sight - 400,000 bats fly out in about 15 minutes.  There is a small amphitheatre built into the rocks, so it's a real show.

Other small towns in that area are also exceptional, such as Ruidoso - reminded us of a New England mountain town. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...