11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2012 4:25 PM by eb5147 RSS

Are guests actually the ones responsible for a housekeeper entering their rooms before 9 A.M.?

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Are guests actually the ones responsible for a housekeeper entering their rooms before 9 A.M.?  Are the guests not entitled to privacy before that hour at the very least?  Should gm expect the guests to remember to bolt their doors and put the "DND" sign out when they've come in early and collapsed because of age and weariness and anemia?

I happen to think that housekeepers should check with the desk before even disturbing someone at this hour?  It really upsets me because I consider this to be an infringement on my rights to a peaceful stay when I've rented the room for that reason.  And then for the gm to tell me that I've reacted worse than anyone ever has on this issue with only five other people acting badly regarding this issue, when, in fact, his excuses were the reason for the exacerbation of the discussion because they were actually insulting to me.   Maybe most people do check out before 9 a.m., but that doesn't meant they should be expected to be gone before that time.

Do they not have phones or walkie-talkies with which to communicate with the desks before disturbing the customer?   If not, they should because I've even seen small, local chains that did that.   Are those small chains so much more advanced than a big chain like Marriott, and Courtyard in particular in this recent instance this week? 

I had really liked this location and everyone connected with it, including the GM.   Now, my opinion of him is among the worst and I'm debating about even staying there again, even though I stay at a Marriott brand in that area every 2 - 3 weeks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
  • Re: Enter your posts title here
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

As a frequent traveler I always put the "Do Not Disturb" Sign on my hotel door before I go to bed and leave it on the door until I vacate the room for the day or checkout.  I personally do not want uncessary phone calls from Housekeeping to check to see if I have vacated the room. Besides if your sleeping in do you really want a phone call to wake you up?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

That's a good suggestion with the DND sign in the door lock or on the door. In this instance with eb5147 it really seems weird that the housekeeper would enter the room....especially with all the rooms that had probably been vacated already and the communication that is supposed to take place regarding housekeeping direction from management about rooms already empty........ to do first.

Something like this should never happen at 9AM. There has to be some communication gap here between mgmt and housekeeping. I've never had it happen. Hopefully they'll get it fixed and send some extra points to eb5147 for the aggravation.

Thank you, tel6178 and painedplatinum!! 

The time was my point, and then that she didn't leave when told to, and that she and the mgr. wouldn't apologize and actually insulted and verbally abused me.  And the apology was the other part.  The desk clerk is apologize several times, but he wasn't the offender.

And the fact that I think they can communicate with the desk is another point for me.

Also, I'm not used to using the DND sign or even locking my door.

I left the door unlocked because I was tired, because my son was staying with his friends who live just a few miles away, and because we've been staying in Mont., AL for 2 years at RI and TPS.  We've been at RI since 7/29/10.  I don't lock the door or even put the DND out usually because housekeeping can just open the door to see if the coast is clear and that we're awake and about.  They've been really nice about it for the most part.

I have to say I have stayed here since that time.  They have corp. rates for the co. my husband works for and most of their staff are just really super.  The breakfasts are also really good, offering shrimp and gravy on grits several days a week and have good buffets at all times. 

Right.  I don't like the phone calls, either.  I've told them at the RI in AL where we've been staying for almost 2 years that I don't want any phone calls before 9 A.M.  I often stay up late on the internet or watching TV.  In this case, our engine blew in Augusta, GA a couple of days before and we had to be towed to Columbia, SC while my son's friends drove from Columbia to Augusta to pick us up and take me to the CY and took him home with them so I was upgraded to a king suite.

Then I spent Monday going to AAA to see about our car, getting a rental, and looking for another car when I found it was the motor being blown.  (The 3rd one on this '05 Pacifica that we'd had for 2 years.)

I think you misunderstood what I was saying, though.  I thought that the housekeepers should communicate with the desk and vice versa as I saw them do at a small local chain in Abilene, TX once when we were staying there for a family reunion at the state park nearby

"Do they not have phones or walkie-talkies with which to communicate with the desks before disturbing the customer?" 

eb5147, I do have to apologize as I did misunderstood your first post  I was under the impression that Housekeeping knocked on your door at 9am.  I didn't realize that they just came into your room without any warning.  That is totally unacceptable.  As far as walkie talkies go I think its mostly the Housekeeping Supervisors and Maintenance staff utiilize those.  I do have empathy for the Housekeepers as far as how much has to be done to a room each time a guest checks out.  I heard once from a staff member at one of the Marriott Vacation Clubs that each time a guests check out that it takes an average of 4 hours to prep the room for the next guest.  Then each room has to be inspected by a supervisor before it is occupied.

They did knock, but before 9 a.m. and, I couldn't tell that the knocking was at my door.  It was faint since it was a big room with the bedroom quite a ways in back and probably because the sounds echo at the end of the hall next to the stairwell,

With your comment that you didn't want a phone call from them before 9 a.m., I figured you'd misunderstood my comment about the phone call to the front desk.  I think all the housekeepers here at RI have cell phones that they can be contacted with by the office and the other housekeepers.

The vacation clubs do take more time.  You have people staying there for a week and lots of timeshares only have a couple of days anyone can ck. in.  But they've got the bedrooms, kitchen, baths, sometimes an entertainment room or screened porch with grills, etc.

The RI allows 28 min. per room maximum, so I figure most hotels are about like that.  When they have about 33 rooms each, they obviously don't spend half an hour on a room.

I think I'm going to have to side with Hotel Management on this one since Housekeeping did indeed knock before entering your room.  Guests who do not wish to be disturbed in the mornings should have the Do Not Disturb sign on the door.  There is no way that management can accurately keep up with who have and have not vacated their room before checkout time.  I know lots of times I'll park on the side of the building and head out the exit closest to my car bypassing the front desk.  Lots of frequent travelors get hotel receipts emailed to them so there is no need to stop at the front desk. 

My complaint wasn't that she entered my room.  That was clearly my fault for not locking the door.  My concern was that I consider knocking on doors or not verifying that a room is clear before 9 a.m.  Then if you do, observe that there are things still in the room in plain site so that it probably isn't empty, and don't take a long time getting out when someone does tell you to leave. 

Also, being rude isn't what I want from anyone whether housekeeper or GM.  When the GM was called, I was trying to verify whether or not it was their policy to enter a room before 9 a.m. without verifying.  I was given the answer that they couldn't wait until noon.  Nine a.m. isn't the same hour as noon by a long-shot.  And my room was at the end of the hall, meaning that they had to have started earlier towards the middle.

And a simple answer to that question and no accusations towards me that I miscommunicated and am not able to understand words or tone would have allayed any bad feelings.   

You're right, vaboy.  Since my concern was the hour more than the scenarios that followed, I totally asked the wrong question.    Sorry I didn't think it through properly.  You were right on.  :-)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I've never had it happen...that early, I mean. I think there was a communications problem. The other problem is the GM should have admitted the communications error and apologized.

That's what I thought.  Robert, the GM, wouldn't answer my question as to whether or not this was their policy.  Instead, he kept saying they couldn't wait until noon to start cleaning the rooms.  I had mentioned that ck. out was noon, but I expect 9 a.m. to be the earliest.

Also, as I mentioned to Robert, my express ck. out bill was laying there on the threshold of the door as she opened the door and a lot of my things were on the bar counter just around the corner so it should have been a no-brainer to just turn and leave after opening the door.

Instead, I'd just gotten out of the shower and yelled at her to just go.  She was still there a couple of 2nds later, which made me mad, also.  After I'd gotten ready to pick my son up at his friends nearby so we could go to breakfast, I saw several housekeepers in the hall and asked one if she had known who went into my room.

She very sardonically told me that they were the housekeepers and could go into the rooms anytime they wanted.  They did have several rooms open at one time so that they could strip all the beds to take the linens down to wash.  She told me that I should put the "DND" sign up and bolt the door, which I do try to do.  I'm so glad that nobody else is so tired that they forget.

But instead of apologizing or saying that it wasn't their policy, Robert, who I talked to by phone the next day as I was walking past the front desk as he was talking to Shaun at the front desk, told me it was a miscommunication on my part with the housekeeper, that I should secure the door, that a bill in the doorway meant nothing since people often left before 5 A.M. when the bills were left, and every excuse imaginable.  The housekeeper was even too shocked to move when I yelled at her to just go.  ( I guess that should tell me why Robert had only had about 6 people get upset about in his 16 years of hotel mgmt.)     

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...