5 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2012 5:22 PM by NathalieF RSS

Confusing Rewards

mom_of_2 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

When I review my account, which I have had about a year now.  There are a bunch of categories below:

Nights Stayed:0

Bonus Nights Earned:6

Promotional:0

Rewards Credit Card:1

Rewarding Events:0

Rollover Nights:5

Total Nights Earned this Year:6

Total Membership Nights:21

What does all this mean?!?!  What are "rollover" nights?  Bonus Nights Earned is 6 - I've only used two night stays for 10K each - but only have 17K left - where does 6 come in.   I've been using my credit card and that gets me points....is that the only way to get rooms?  A friend said that every year you have the credit card you get one free room....Is that true??  What does the Total Membership Nights mean?

I"m clueless as to how this all works.

HELP!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Confusing Rewards
    vickisocal Platinum

Nights Stayed:0   - you have 0 paid nights this year

Bonus Nights Earned:6  - you have a total of 6 bonus nights this year- 5 + 1, see below

Promotional:0 - you have no promotional nights this year (these are rare)

Rewards Credit Card:1 - every time you spend 3000 dollars on your credit card you get 1 night

Rewarding Events:0 - you have not hosted any events/meetings this year

Rollover Nights:5 - last year I assume you requaified for silver (10 nights), then had 5 nights in excess of the requalification requirement, this gave you 5 rollover nights

Total Nights Earned this Year: 6 - sum of the above

Total Membership Nights:21 - This is your 15 nights from last year, plus your 6 nights from this year.

10 nights in a year gets you silver, 50 nights gold, 75 platinum

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks vickisocal for the response

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

I think I can answer a few of those questions, but not necessarily all of them. The Marriott Rewards credit card issues you 'bonus nights earned' on your anniversary date.I think they also may give you bonus nights when you sign up initially for the card. Did you recently get the credit card?  Depending on the type of card some people get more nights. (I get 15 nights at the end of every year.) Also, depending on how much you spend per month and what promotion might be going on with the credit card, you can earn additional nights. These nights are not 'free nights', but add to the total towards your elite status with Marriott (10=Silver, 50=Gold, 75=Platinum). Total Membership nights, to my understanding, means the number of PAID nights you've had since you signed up for Marriott Rewards and continues over your lifetime as a member. I am unclear as to the Rollover Nights in your case since I'm assuming you are a relatively new member. I'm sure a member that is 'older' than me and more experienced will be answering that question as well as the others very soon.

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

Oops! See, why I was slowly typing my answers, someone else did beat me to the punch!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Hi Momof2,

You can earn credit for bonus nights earned (not to be confused with free night stay certificates) in a number of ways.  By using your credit card (as mentioned above), you are 'credited' with a bonus night for every $3,000 spent.  Sometimes there are also other credit card promotions, where spending will get you more bonus nights 'credited.'  You can get a bonus night credited on your birthday.  You also get (as a Silver, and as previously mentioned) the 15 bonus nights credited on your credit card anniversary.  These 'bonus' nights count toward your 'elite' status.  Elite membership status (silver, gold, platinum, etc.) gets you more buying power, for example, free breakfasts and concierge lounge access for golds and platinums, 20% more points earned for silver members, early check-in, late check-out, special Marriott Reward offers, like discounted room rates and packages, etc.

All these night 'credits' add to your total nights earned this year, which as was said, contribute to your elite status.

In addition to nights credited, you earn points for spending, either from your Marriott Visa card, or Marriott property spending, or Marriott Shopping, etc.

Your elite status, and your Marriott Rewards points earned are your "currency" in Marriott's loyalty program.  They get you things for free or at a discount, which is your reward as a Marriott loyalty customer.

To add to this, in addition to earning night credits towards your elite status, and Marriott Reward points, you can also earn free night reward certificates.  If you have the Marriott Premier Visa card (not the signature), you should receive a free night reward certificate each year on your credit card anniversary.  You can also earn free night reward certificates through enrolling in the many Marriott promotions that run throughout the year.  Check your Marriott Rewards home page for more information and for a more detailed and concise description of 'how you earn.'

Thanks for asking a very good question, and welcome to Insiders.  Hope to hear more from you.  All questions are good ones!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...