9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2013 7:10 PM by panamamark RSS

aphunter

aphunter Gold
Currently Being Moderated

We will be visiting Spain for the first time and are interested in things to do and places to see in Barcelona, Estepona, and Madrid.  Any suggestions on restaurants, things we should know, traveling within the country, etc.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Estepona, Spain
Estepona, Spain Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's Playa Andaluza
Denia, Spain
Denia, Spain Marriott Hotels & Resorts Denia Marriott La Sella Golf Resort & Spa
Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain AC Hotels by Marriott AC Hotel Barcelona Forum
Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain AC Hotels by Marriott AC Hotel Irla
Almeria, Almeria, Spain AC Hotels by Marriott AC Hotel Almeria
Madrid, Madrid, Spain AC Hotels by Marriott
Cordoba, Cordoba, Spain AC Hotels by Marriott AC Hotel Cordoba Palacio
Málaga, Spain
  • Re: aphunter
    emerson6 Platinum
    Spring of 2007 we stayed down south at the Marriott Marbella in the Andaluza area. We found the people quite friendly, especially away from the tourist areas. Renting a car was easy and the drivers were curtious. Rick Steve's book on Spain was very helpful.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

travelez Silver

I have been to Barcelona and loved it. Read up on Gaudi as his architecture there is incredible. There is a nice Gaudi gallery there-it looks like a toad house but I loved Park Guell I think the most. Gaudi designed it and it is truly lovely. Of course the outrageous cathedral, La Sagrada Familia, was under renovation when I was there but there is a neat park area in front of it where you can eat a sandwich and gawk at this cathedral he designed but died before finishing. www.sagradafamilia.org is the website. Barcleona is way cool, allow ample time to stroll the La Rambla, numerous living statues and street vendors. Be aware, La Rambla and Park Guell are on opposite sides of the city which only matters if you are planning to walk it. Oh, and they don't speak actual Spanish in Barcelona, it is a mixture of Old French and Spanish, it was quite surprising. I went to Seville as well and I can promise you, the one thing you cannot miss is the tapas bars. Have a cafe' lon leche and eat whatever looks a little interesting, it will be fabulous. I also found every Spanish wine I tried to be very enjoyable.

murraynclark Gold 1 Reviews
    In 2006, we visited Salou in North East Spain (Catalunya). we found the city of Terragona to be a beautiful city to explore, with Roman ruins & museums. It also has La Rambla which was much more friendly than Barcelona's. i would recommend a visit to Terragona.

bcary1 Gold
    Los Caracoles in Barcelona is a great restaurant - the oldest in Barcelona, off of the Plaza Real on Calle Escudellers. The chicken is grilled on a spit on the outside of the restaurant - you enter thru the kitchen. Definitely one of a kind! And, the food is great - especially the chicken!

flyinduck Gold
    We flew into Madrid from Copenhagen, and were surprised as how little security was involved in us entering the country. We rented a car in Madrid, drove through Seville, Tarife, Cadiz, and the Mediterranean beach area (didn't make it to Barcelona though). Stay in downtown Madrid, and use the paradors. They are wonderful hotels in neat places. Driving on the freeways is easy, in town is tight and tough. You get a small car, and be thankful. Food s great, this coming from a sensitive stomach. Most restaurants are excellent....and the cured ham is awesome!

pricechecker Gold

I have been in Spain about ten times since the 1980's, my latest visit being last May and my next visit will be in about two weeks.  Prices have really gone up!  The roads are better but not quite comparable to more well-traveled European countries.  Food and hotels have really increased in price, but there are still bargains if you're willing to spend time looking.  All in all, our best lodging experiences have not been in the cities, but rather small communities near the cities.  This requires that you do your own driving, so if you HAVE to be on the beach or INSIDE the old city, it will be worth it to pay a little more for drive-free locations.  We like to do a variety of things, so having our own transportation is a must.  Train travel is also a great way to get around as well as intra-European flights.  We flew from Barcelona to Munich last May for under $100 per person!  Spain is a small enough country that you can visit mountains, oceans, plateaus and diverse cultural areas without traveling too far.  And the history is outstanding!  Be careful, though, of being robbed whether in person or your auto--take every extra precaution to secure your valuables and not leave them in sight through a car window, for example.  While traveling the roads, we found that most gas stations have fair to nice cafes or restaurants inside their establishments and not so high priced either. 

In two weeks I will be traveling through Madrid, Sevilla, Cordoba, Toledo, Segovia and Barcelona.  I will be zeroing in on affordable hotels and restaurants in those areas.  I will check back in and let you know what I've found, as well as gas prices, parking hints and other things travelers should know.  And I'll have photos as well. 

hleith Silver
    In Barcelona (barthelona - use the lisp and you get extra points) I recommend the Picasso Museum and the Archeological Museum. Depending on your interests and available time, I heartly recommend taking a cooking class. The classes are offered in several locations and usually can be booked a day in advance. The wines in Barcelona are wonderful and reasonably priced.

pricechecker Gold

Well, I just returned from a 2-week visit to Spain and found the prices quite high for the most part.  Gasoline, of course, is to be expected now.  For two weeks, the total cost for 3-star hotels was $2,200.  None of those hotels were in downtown city districts, nor were they far, far away from the sites except in Sevilla.  Walkable distance or in the case of Madrid, easy access to the Metro.  Sevilla required us to drive to the sites in our car and park.  Would rather have been located in a hotel in that area.  Service, rooms, etc., were all very good.  My favorite one by far was the Los Linajes in Segovia--very quaint with lots of ambience, great restaurant with reasonably-priced food and wonderful staff to work with.  They have their own parking garage, too, a great plus, and very short walking distance to the main plaza where the cathedral is, a bit further walking distance to the famous aqueducts. 

Food in restaurants tends to be very expensive unless you eat the menu of the day during the MIDDLE of the day--not in the evening.  Even then you could expect to pay close to $15-20 given the value of the Euro now.  It priced out at $1.63 for my trip.  Dont' expect to find great values at McDonald's either--a meal deal can cost about $10.  We stayed at a pretty decent beach hotel in Santa Susanna, Spain, up north from Barcelona.  Everything you need including huge shopping areas were very close by, the beach across the street and a lot of amenities offered inside the hotel.  Here are the names of where I stayed and all were places I'd go again except for perhaps Sevilla I'd prefer to be closer to the historical downtown area.

03/20-24, 2008

Hotel Convención****, Madrid

C/ O´donnell 53
    28009 Madrid, Spain
    +34 915 746 800

03/24-27, 2008

Hotel Catalonia Hispalis***, Sevilla

Avenida Andalucía 52
    41006 Sevilla, Spain
    +34 954 529 433

03/27-28, 2008

Hotel Mirador de Montoro***, Montoro+34 921 460 475

03/30- 04/03, 2008

Hotel Mercury***, Santa Susanna

Av.da del Mar, 2

08398 Santa Susanna

Ate at the Restaurant Bodin in Madrid, supposedly the oldest restaurant in the WORLD and it cost 100 Euros for four people, including drinks and a dessert with the meal.  A nice atmosphere, though.  There's an Irish restaurant across from the Cathedral in Sevilla that is reasonable and good food, too. 

If you have any other questions, please ask.  I was in Madrid, Sevilla, Cordoba, Toledo, Segovia, South and north of Barcelona (Santa Susanna and Sant Sadorni), but not in Barcelona.

panamamark Silver

I realize this thread is a little old and am hoping I can revive it!  How was your trip to Spain?

I am taking my wife there for our 25 Ann. this fall. We are booked for the Marriott Playa Andaluza Resort in Estapona - near Marbella on the beach, 28SEP-05OCT.

Currently our early plan is to:

• fly into Barcelona mid-September.
    • Spend a few days there (how many? recommendations?) and then make our way down the coast staying here and there.
    • First potential stop - Dénia. There is a lovely looking Marriott resort there, La Sella.
    • Then continue on and stay in Almería and finally land at the Playa Andaluza Resort.
    • After the Playa we thought we would head up to Córdoba and then on to Madrid for a few nights before flying home.

We would really love to here about your trip and any suggestions you or anyone else on this thread could give - particularly from anyone who has visited recently i.e. How have the economic woes affected tourism, customer service, etc. Places to see, stay, eat, etc. etc.

Many thanks for any guidance you can share!

Location Brand Hotel
    Estepona, Spain
    Estepona, Spain Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's Playa Andaluza
    Denia, Spain
    Denia, Spain Marriott Hotels & Resorts Denia Marriott La Sella Golf Resort & Spa
    Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain AC Hotels by Marriott AC Hotel Barcelona Forum
    Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain AC Hotels by Marriott AC Hotel Irla
    Almeria, Almeria, Spain AC Hotels by Marriott AC Hotel Almeria
    Madrid, Madrid, Spain AC Hotels by Marriott
    Cordoba, Cordoba, Spain AC Hotels by Marriott AC Hotel Cordoba Palacio
    Málaga, Spain

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...